1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The IRS Targets Conservatives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 11, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Facts get skewed every day that ends with a "Y"

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Including you apparently.

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

If it goes both ways where was the apology to the other groups affected?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/05/13/183680027/exactly-what-did-the-irs-want-to-know

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

why in the f**k is this a scandal, and not blatant kidnappings and murders at black sites being forgiven, and warrentless wiretaps, and double-tap drone strikes authorized by Obama?

If the Republicans really cared about the country---they'd be focusing on that. Instead, it's blatantly clear they're tied up in the worst of the s**t, so they have to run gamuts around ultimately much more trivial affairs.

Hey Obama, you ever think that wiretapping Americans indiscriminately runs counter to the traditions of America?

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

changing the topic and trying to distract is an ineffective way to debate. Just sayin'

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I thought the topic was slamming Obama, no matter how one went about doing it. Let's be honest here.

Seeing as I constantly slam Obama and the United States on those issues, I thought it worth bringing up as better uses of one's energy, instead of the pursuit of "trivial" scandals. There are real scandals out there, and no one gives a s**t, apparently.

as an example texxx, I find you very slow on the condemnation of warrentless wiretapping. That's directly authorized by the Obama DOJ under his auspices. This is the IRS going on a tangent, and the president condemning it. ultimately trivial---and the fact that you are all trying to make something of this is sad, to be honest.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

certainly not Hillary

"what difference does it make?"

*snort*

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

republicans: Can't govern so they look for scandals.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree people should be fired over this.

I think the more that is found out about this the more this is looking like the coverup is worse than the initial incident. It looks like that hirer ups in the IRS office knew something fishy was going on with the Cincinnati office but didn't come clean about it until much later.

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

democrats: Can't govern so they create scandals.

2 people like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you know the answer to that. These techniques were used by a Republican Admin and will most likely be used by future Republican Admin..

Unfortunately when it comes to issues like those there really isn't much difference between the parties. Actually considering that the IRS under the previous Admin. also targeted political opponents there isn't really much difference in that regard either.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Washington Post is reporting that officials in Washington were responsible for the targeting themselves (not just the cover-up).

It looks like the EPA also has it's marching orders to discriminate against Obama's enemies

#73 tallanvor, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're government is being used for purposes other than what it was designed for and in some cases used against you. if you're cool with that then it's already too late.

15. NotInMyHouse

One or two staffers is laughable. It now appears to be multiple offices in Ohio, California, and DC. All quotes courtesy of the Washington Post.

16. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

but they told us it was just a couple of "rogue" IRS employees! pfft.. lies are hard to cover up when they snowball. AP dug it's own bed by being the liberal mouth they are... now that they got bit.. they cry foul...oh noes how could this be! Trust in our government is not a partisan issue. Once trust is eroded.. it's called a regime.

17. NotInMyHouse

I don't know, but the Justice Department just embarrassed themselves getting caught tapping the Associated Press, so let's add it to the list you've got. This has been quite a week for the Obama Administration.

By the way, the sequester is still around. Expect it to make an appearance again soon when summer wildfires breakout. Also, no Americans died (Benghazi) and the moral fabric of a supposed independent insitution (IRS) wasn't at the core of the Muslim/Birther (butthurt hillbillies) issue.

18. NotInMyHouse

Why do you honestly give a **** about what a Republican thinks? I'd ask you a better question: Why are the scandals you listed not covered in the mainstream media?

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Did you even read the NAACP article you linked?

In other words, the IRS recognized that the NAACP had violated tax-exempt rules and as a result, began reviewing their tax-exempt status.

I see nothing wrong with that.

That's totally different from the IRS intentionally delaying the assignments of tax-exempt status for conservative groups until after the election.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. As for why those things aren't a scandal...

If "America"* is doing it, it is moral. End of story.

*"America" in such cases is synonymous with the federal government (or maybe just a political party). People have come to believe, hilariously, that "they" are the government; they actually think the nation-state is the people over which the nation-state rules. Incoherent and sad, yes, but it is true. "In popular vote, we can decide who resides on the fringes of the shafters or the shaftees. Therefore, we truly are in control!"

How often do you hear things like, "We are invading Xistan." When of course you and I are doing no such thing. The people who tax us (via the nation-state) are giving money to other people (via the nation-state) to invade Xistan. You and I are not doing the invading. You and I don't even think our money should be used to invade Xistan. Yet, amazingly, some others who have their money similarly taken will say that "we" are taxing, plundering, torturing, invading, bombing, etc. when you and I have no desire to (well, you might want to tax and plunder ;)).

This ties into another logical fallacy: the belief that such a thing as "collective action" exists. Only individuals can act, but through sophistry that would make a snake oil salesman blush, many have come to believe in that bizarre concept.