1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The industrial food system has abused science to the point where medicine may be plunged to the "Dar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That sounds sweet. I think people growing their own food and becoming self sufficient will solve a lot of important problems.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It is cool and it also makes me better than you... Just saying.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True - but that's not where the newer antibiotics are being wasted..they are being wasted on pigs.

Just think, our best weapons for fighting infections are being wasted by farmers to make a few extra bucks so they can keep pigs in less humane conditions and yet not risk them getting sick.

In return we end up with contagious diseases that infect humans and will be untreatable.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Definitely brotato.

I'll catch up one day though, having my own vegetable gardens, being able to grow and provide food healthy food for myself and family is one of my biggest goals.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the antibiotic apocalypse will be what saves us from the Malthusian apocalypse?

Do two apocalypses make a right?

Don't need to genocide each other over dwindling fresh water supplies if 1/4 of the population dies from mutant typhus or mutant cholera.

#25 Ottomaton, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Equally dickish to run around and brag that you are a vegan/crossfitter/libertarian/etc. Its incredibly condescending.
    But... we already had this random argument in another thread so... lol.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you have a medicine cabinet filled with half empty vials of antibiotics or have ever begged your doctor to write you a script even after they told you it won't do anything for your child's cold...you are part of the problem.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, that drug NSS mentioned is pretty effective on gram+ bacteria. Gram neg bacteria like e. Coli probably means you still want a clean **** free burger.

They way they found it is novel and game changing, and there's 25 potential candidates from a different article I can't find again.

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/01/07/antibiotic-resistance-teixobactin/

Despite that,there's parts of the world where they use antibiotics like Tang or some magic elixir. That's almost as negligent and wasteful as killing exotic animals for special healing powers.

This is one of those cases where if nothing bad happens, the ignorant continues their ignorance. Cynical me thinks a small tragedy leads to a greater and lasting call for action, though maybe people are genuinely beginning to change for the better.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There seems to be a conscious decision to not do that anymore here in the US. But this is a worldwide issue. FDA can't solve this. Another world problem that require international cooperation.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Soooo . . .. Africa and Asia take like 10 times more drugs than everywhere else?
    So they created more antimicrobial resistant bugs?

Rocket River

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think anybody will have enough arable land and free farming time for that to happen. Also we're not going to the medical dark ages or whatever.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think more straightforwardly they're the most densely populated continents with the least amount of pharmaceutical or medical infrastructure.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well there is plenty of land, if people moved out of cities. People would have to make time to maintain a garden, bright side is you won't have to work as much if you have a supply of free food.

Its just one of my personal fantasies. It wouldn't be easy, sacrifices would have to be made but it would solve a lot of problems we have today.

But this all off topic.