1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Increasing Urbanization of the Toyota Center Entertainment Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aceshigh7, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IJS.....you can see the DJ near the tunnel where the players walk in.....and....he.....is....Asian. Maybe you should have a nice talk with him before the games.

The head of the Rockets Cheerleaders..who creates the routines...last I checked she wasn't African American.

And maybe checkout a few Hockey games.... you will hear basically the same Top 10-20 Billboard songs played at NFL-NBA arenas *including local artist*, and whatever certain players have asked to be added to the playlist.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Question: What is the demographic makeup of Denver and what is the demographic makeup of Houston?

3. bmd

bmd Member

The culture, yes.

But for the record, I like rap music even though I know a lot of it is trashy.

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Lol i think OP is just nitpicking.

I was at the game last night, Pretty sure i heard don't stop belvin played last night, and that i didn't see the power dancers in baggy clothes. Are you unaware that every time the RPD dance they're in a different set of clothes? Seems like you're just nit picking single instances to try to over-exaggerate your claim.

As someone who like every genre of music, I agree it may have an edge on "urban" music as far as whats played, but I do think its diverse. the "Booty shaking" and everything is a part of modern culture, not just "urban" or "hood culture". If you think that only hood and ghetto people are the only ones doing rump shaking dances today then you are very narrow minded.

The fact of the matter is, rock music or country doesn't get you pumped up. I'll admit most of modern day rap music is garbage. But half of its listening audience isn't listening to the words, its the beat and catch that gets you pumped, as you can see it in the players when they walk out onto the floor to a catch song with a nice beat. You can't get that same feeling from rock, or country or whatever else.

It seems to me like you just have a general issue with hip hop music in general being played. As of someone whos been to quite a few games this season, its not overwhelming. Again, coming from someone who has every genre you can think of in his phone.

5. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Would rep if i could.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It isn't. Hell, the older I get, the more I trend towards music I can listen to with my mom or my 10 year-old niece in the car. I personally wouldn't have taken issue with that premise at all. OP is the one who made this an issue of race by peppering it not-so-subtly throughout his tirade.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

nevermind...

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I'm dreaming of a deurbanized entertainment experience.
    Just like the ones I used to know.

9. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

I'd hate to see how this guy feels when JJ Watt starts to get hype to "Turn Down for What!"

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

whelp, that it. close thread.

He hit every point exactly on the head with 100% accuracy. Would rep if i could.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

"Urbanization?" Well, the Toyota Center is in an urban area. :rolleyes:

12. bmd

bmd Member

That was the main premise I took from his OP. There are a lot of white people who are not racist but find it difficult to express their disagreement with things that have a racial component without coming across as racist.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think the music at Toyota center sucks because it sucks, doesn't matter what genre it is.

They say the best in arena music is at Memphis FedEx forum.

Me personally, I rather them go to Europe, steal some of their music and culture and import them here.

Honestly, I'm tired of the same **** being played. Give me something new. I remember one time last year or two years ago, they played some mgmt on offense. Thought that was brilliant. Heard it for a few games and never heard it since.

Here's an idea. Get the playlist from nba2k series. Pretty good mix of music. Look at the soundtrack. Tribe called quest, clipes and crazy lauryn hill. You also got major lazer, basement jaxx and pharrell. Then you got red hot chili peppers and depeche mode. Pretty solid.

And also, lift music from the FIFA games

14. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Basketball and Hip Hop are pretty much one and the same.

You also have to think of it as....Howard, Harden...ect. are at work, your sitting in their office watching them work, and this is their playlist while they work.

15. bushies

bushies Member

I believe "he" is in fact a she. Not everyone on here's a dude ;)

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Also, on the rpds. Someone already mentioned they changed choreographers.

Natalie used to be an rpd. Then she did music and released two albums. Then she got a job with the twolves. Then they canned sweet susie. Or there wasn't enough room for clutch the bear or susie.

Natalie got hired. I was initially happy. Cause I thought the rpds were getting stale and boring. The unfortunate thing is that it went from one end of the spectrum to the other end. I was hoping there would be a better balance.

And on the booty shaking ****. I enjoy it. But I don't think they make the squad if they can shake their asses. (Even though it's a good quality to have as an ass-set) they make the squad if they can dance.

I kinda hate the 80s rock they use. Leave that **** in the pass. The only ones they should keep is guns n roses welcome to the jungle and the good ol billy idol classic.

I swear I thought I heard cyndi lauper last night.

17. KlutchQT

"I wish Toyota Center played less hip-hop music and more rock. I miss the days when the music selection was more diversified. Does anyone agree?"

That's pretty simple. Plenty of posters subsequently agreed with that premise in a way that was not offensive. It's not that difficult, but we can agree to disagree.

18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Man honestly, I don't even care for half the new rap that's out now either and I do consider some trashy. (OP see how easy it was for two people of different races to find common ground without appearing racist??lol ) But I just take it as this new hip hop wasn't made with me or you in mind lol. I'm in my mid 30's and my kind of rap has more substance and content. Mos Def, Common, J Cole, J Electronica etc. Most arena will not play these, but that's ok, I don't expect them to play Norah Jones, John Coltrane, John Mayer Robert Glasper or Diana Krall that frequently plays on my playlist. Because the Rockets don't play my kind of music, I don't consider them trying to phase me out. The OP has a sense of entitlement that needs to be checked.

19. KlutchQT

Thank you. ;)

20. dragician

dragician Member

If they were playing well last night, you won't notice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.