1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Increasing Urbanization of the Toyota Center Entertainment Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aceshigh7, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakeemthagreat

So much ignorance in this posts lol. Have you heard of Miley Cyrus? She's a pop star and has mastered the art of booty dancing (without actually having a booty too). It seems you apply these negative stereotypes to "hiphop" & "hood culture", but if you paid half attention you'd notice that these stereotypes aren't just hiphop, they're mainstream. Also, what does you being from a white & hispanic family have to do with anything lol. You do realize there are whites & hispanics that also contribute to the culture you hate so much. You have the right to not like hiphop culture, but being a undercover racist is not cool.

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Wonder what music they dance to in Utah....

3. Indaface

Indaface Member

As a season ticket holder and native Houstonian i'm offended they play that pop rap and not some local rap or screw during the breaks.

Oops I mean music for unsuccessful people such as myself and others.

The only thing offensive about last night was the jackets they wore the whole performance.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

claim yourself as not a racist and pair hood culture with african americans brehs

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I know you're joking, but it was "Throwback Thursday" and they were wearing Starter jackets while dancing to "Push It"

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

There is not enough Ramon Ayala or Tigres Del Norte at Toyota Center

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i heard they're giving out free rockets du rags to the first 5,000 fans on african american heritage night

9. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

He wants to hear Taylor Swift and Barbra Streisand while they dance???

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

whenever someone cites "all my african american friends agree with me" in an discussion

[​IMG]

11. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Last night in Toyota Center I saw racing babies, cookie eating contests, a limbo dancer and dancing Rabbis. Just like the Hood, I suppose.

The Hip Hop doesn't bother me, but I'd prefer that they go with some of the local talent.

I will be angry if they ever get rid of the "Dream On" pre-game video.

12. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not racist and I have black friends but since black people are poor and probably feel uncomfortable around successful white people, I think it would be good to give them their own separate but equal section in the arena just for themselves. They can use their own bathrooms, water fountains, etc.

3 people like this.
  13. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

So I saw 'urban' and 'hood,' did I miss any other code words?

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As an unsuccessful, immature anglo-american I thoroughly enjoy the booty dancing. However I do agree that they need to get rid of baggy pants and other clothing.

As for not playing "rock" music, I've heard that complaint since the early 2000s. You'll get over it and so will your successful black friends.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm glad they've kept it while changing up some the clips over the years. It honestly gets me pumped up

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Toyota Center isn't diverse enough. I have yet to hear any arabic or filipino music played when I attend games! (and no arab money doesnt count as arab music!) Don't label me a racist, I just want my equal rights! I have black/white/hispanic friends who also noted that they have yet to hear arabic and filipino music. Also the power dancers don't seem to have any muslim girls who are fully clothed with a hijab.

1 person likes this.
  17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I'd say a majority of the young population at the Toyota center probably prefers the Hip-Hop that is played to whatever rock you have in mind. The players too.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

THOU SHALL NEVER GET RID OF THE DREAM ON VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

As a mature, successful, BLACK season ticket holder, I find your post both offensive and largely inaccurate.

First, your claim that this is not about race is a complete insult to my intelligence. Nearly everything you wrote is about race. Do you truly believe people are too dense to realize that "urban" and "hood culture" are merely euphemisms for "stuff those ghetto black folks like?" You felt compelled to point out that you and your family do not relate to "hood culture" (whatever that is) -- not because you just don't particular enjoy a certain style of music or dance -- but because you are White and Hispanic. Not about race though, right? And if it isn't about race, precisely who are you referring to when you say you feel the organization is marginalizing "those of [you] who make up the bulk of season ticket holders?" It certainly sounds as though you are referring to non-blacks. And though it's not about race, you throw in the obligatory, "Look, I even have black friends! But they're equally disgusted because they're not that kind of black. They're a different kind of black -- you know, mature and successful. They're not into the 'garbage' those other blacks are into." I mean, really. It could not be more obvious that this IS about race for you. It's ignorant, in my opinion -- but it's how you feel. Frankly, I'd be less offended if you stood in your truth.

As for the substance of what you posted, I simply don't see it. Aside from those horrid harem type pants (which are not the kind of "saggy pants" typically associated with "hood culture," but rather, a style of pants that unfortunately returned to prominence over the last few years among women of ALL races) -- the RPDs are usually scantily clad, as nearly all professional cheerleaders/dancers are. And sure, they usually perform hip-hop routines -- again, the norm in professional sports. What would you prefer? Ballet? Tap dancing? Do you take issue when those routines are performed to artists like Pitbull, Katy Perry, Meghan Trainor, Taylor Swift, or Justin Timberlake (because they frequently are)? Or does it only become offensive when performed to the music of an "urban" rapper?

As for the in-arena music, the songs I recall having heard most frequently/consistently over the past two seasons are "Timber," "Applause," "Welcome to the Jungle," "Dream On," and "Radioactive." None of those are "hood" by standards of people who think like you, as far as I know, and none by black artists. I can say with confidence that those are the songs that have been drilled into my head by TC over the past couple of years. You are 100% correct in that the players usually come out and warm up to hip-hop/rap -- and my best guess is that the arena cares less about what you find too "urban," and more about what music the players like to get fired up for the game. I'd imagine it's no coincidence that two of the most played songs during warm-ups the past couple of seasons have been that Nae-Nae song Dwight loves so much, and the Drake song that references Harden in its lyrics.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything the average Clutchfans poster can do to make your game experience less "urban." Perhaps you should contact Gretchen Scheirr in Retention and let her know that the Rockets' "hood culture" offends you and your White/Hispanic family members. That seems infinitely more logical than sharing your gripe with those without authority to de-urbanize the games, but perhaps that's just me.

19 people like this.
  20. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

WTF? Im black and I make more money than your lame ass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.