1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Increasing and Growing argument for Chuck Hayes NBA Defensive Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Mar 18, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

How is this thread not mocked for its silliness? Forget Dwight Howard. Put old Yao Ming and all his stiffness, lack of PnR defense, and looking stupid getting foul calls, and we wouldn't be #24 on defense. In fact, we'd be top 10, as we had been when Yao protected the paint such defensive juggernauts like Juwan Howard and Luis Scola.

And I'm certain that if someone made polls of DPORockets over the past years, Yao would never even get the most votes there.

2. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Dwight will foul out in 10 minutes.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The other team would have to forfeit due to lack of eligible players after 8 minutes of flopping by Quad Martin. It's all good.

4. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

LOL, repped

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He should definitely be first team all-defense, but that will never happen because the NBA is biased towards their precious stars.

6. srrono

srrono Member

Chuck dont get the stats needed in blocks to get the award only player that I can think of that has received NBA Defensive Player of the Year that did not have block stats was M.Jordan and Chuck is not a Mike.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I know, that was the point I was making.

8. sw847

sw847 Member

did the 'glove' get a DPOY award one year? I am pretty sure gary had one.

but you are right, awards in the nba is all about stats/popularity. the nba is too commercial to consider guys like hayes for any type of award, including all defensive teams.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

They're actually 21st but when Chuck is on the floor they have a defensive rating of about 106, which would be 11th or so in the league. And that's over the entire year, including when he had to play with AB, KM, and Scola on the floor at the same time.

Try again.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao's on court defensive rating, playing with all sorts of players over his career.

08-09: 103
    07-08: 102
    06-07: 100
    05-06: 103
    04-05: 104
    03-04: 101

In all my years of posting on this board, I don't believe I've even seen a Yao-for-all-defensive-team, much less DPOY.

I have to disagree with the posters on this thread says about people caring about "stats" with defensive players. I believe it's about "looking good" on defense rather than substance. When you stand inside and force a jumpshot that misses, no one cares about that defense. When an opponent penetrates to the basket but alters his shot to get out of a defender's reach, no one cares about that. Chuck Hayes may not have stats, but he "looks good" on defense. Yao did not. Yao looked like an idiot. Hence, no one cared about Yao's defense, even though his defensive stats were better(blocks, rebounding) because he looked lame on defense.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yao's wide frame made him a solid defender, even without speed, it's hard to get around a guy as wide as a house.

but Chuck over Dwight is pretty silly, Dwight is the closest thing to the Hakeem mould the nba has seen in the last decade, on both ends.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

yeah he had one, Artest won one too, and he's hardly the shot blocking king, nor is he very graceful...

Then how could we forget Rodman? he got one and barely got blocks, and on top of Jordan, Alvin Robertson won one (was he the smallest DPOY winner ever?)

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Nope, not even remotely close

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

DPOY-candidate Chuck Hayes led the Rockets to giving up 125ppg against Miami.

DPOY-lesser-candidate Dwight Howard has led the Orlando Magic to giving up 97ppg game against Miami.

Chris Bosh, Miami's only interior player, averaged 25 points on 50+% shooting against the Rockets interior.

The same Chris Bosh, Miami's only interior player, averaged 15 points on 30+% shooting against the Orlando interior.

15. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Yes. "Poor man's" defensive player of the year For Les (even though he is rich).