1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Importance of Getting a Top Two Seed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 24, 2013.

1. kumakun

kumakun Member

yes they don't have the predictable McFail....maybe this year will be different but the way he plays clutch situations has been somewhat horrific. Plus he has huge ego players to deal with so i think right now hes the weakest link.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's a good point. What it means though is (1) we'd have to be a division winner, and (2) we have to beat one other division winner. Division winners take the top 3 slots.

The competition in our division is Memphis and San Antonio. I think we can credibly beat Memphis (though that's not a given either, being 2 games shy of the Spurs last season). San Antonio is a real tough assignment. They almost won the conference last season, when they were supposedly too old for a long NBA season. Maybe they slow down, but we'll have a very hard time winning the division if they don't. And then nothing else matters anyway and we're stuck in a bruising 4-5 matchup with someone like Memphis. Even if they do slow down, Memphis might be the one that comes out on top.

Then, we'd have to beat out one of the Clippers and the Thunder to avoid the #3 slot. Clippers were only 4 games out from the conference title themselves, and might have improved a little. But, assuming we've beaten out San Antonio, I think we're in the right ballpark for competing here too. Ultimately, it probably comes down to injuries, with the healthiest getting the top spots.

But, on health and chemistry, the top-6 might not be a top-6 at the conclusion of the season. It's common enough for a supposed contender to fizzle or to fall apart. So, even if we're in a 4-5 or 3-6 match-up, the opponent might not be as strong as they look right now.