1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Importance of Carlos Delfino?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chongx04, Jan 2, 2013.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Delfino is the man I really was confused on the signing at first but now i like him alot he's the exact kind of vet we need. He's hip with the young crowd, u can see he has some swag but on the court he's all business and doesn't get rattled at all. I really hope morey picks up his option ( I'm sure he will) and also hope that he finishes his career here. Every contender would love to have him. The rockets are building something very special and delfino is the perfect player to build with around our core he doesn't complain about playing time and does his job better than advertised. One of my fav rockets in a long time.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Is he the new Teflon Don??

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I guess Delfino needs to eat more of the sausage Ginobli gave him

4. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I admit that when we signed him, I was wrong to doubt the signing. I was worried that he'd take away playing time from our young players and that he wouldn't have any positive impact on the team. I really thought his signing was nothing more than for gaining another asset to help out the next trade around the trade deadline this season. I was truly wrong. He helps in many ways, most of which have already been stated in this thread. And with Lamb being traded and with Royce "The Choice" White choosing not to play for the Rockets, he's really not even taking up playing time from the young guys this season.

He really does stabilize this team. He's the reason I'm not having to tell myself "they're a young team" as much as I thought I'd have to. Because he's the guy that comes in and settles us down during the inevitable scoring slumps that our young team has.

He also has some great play-making abilities. He doesn't slack off on defense. And he can get smoking hot from the 3-point line, with an occasional short-term slump.

But I also agree that his +/- is padded because of the games he missed against some of our toughest opponents. That's not to take away from his importance to the team. But we can't look at him as much more than the perfect veteran stabilizing factor that he is. Like in many cases, +/- does not tell the whole story here.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

We definitely have a uniq

6. cbk41

cbk41 Member

EDIT: We definitely have a unique type of offense.We're inside-out, but not in the traditional sense. Frequent use of the PnR, but the dribble-drive is always the primary option for both of our play makers. But we are pretty easy to stop if one can manage a zone defense than can trap the ball handler. If any one/two of our guys can hit the 3 ball, the dish-game inside off the iso becomes wide open and the roller/harden/lin can have a big stretch. We're more outside-inside-outside in the half court. Our fast breaks tend to feed too much off our players hitting shots, though. We need to learn how to create more consistently off of defense when our shots aren't falling to stop teams like OKC from manhandling us.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Delfi is a good player... going beyond my expectations... wish he would not take boneheaded shots but somehow he's still efficient. I like his persona as well. I think he's a good pickup who has been under valued... the league was Morey'ed once again.

Also I think his eurostyle makes him a good poor man's Manu when it comes to bench spark. Can't wait to see if he ends up late blooming like Scola.

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

he gets the girls wet

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Split G FG% 3P% PTS TRB AST

Win 15 .435 .398 9.1 3.5 2.4
    Loss 8 .309 .286 8.9 3.8 2.3

I think it's incredibly interesting that his shooting efficiency correlates so heavily on the game's result even though the volume stats don't change. Whether he keys on the team or the team keys on him is a good debate, but yeah, I'd say he's very important.

10. Prince

Prince Member

and the only way SAn Antonio can stop him is by feeding him a bad sausage.

11. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

He fits with the offense, can handle and make plays for others, and he can always get his shot off because he's willing to fire it up from five feet behind the three point line. Vet savvy, and okay on D. Not scared to shoot.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I try to, but struggle being mad at his chucking. His jumper is majestic.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

He's been absolutely HUGE to this team, imo.

And I'm not even talking about the stats he puts up. I'm talking about the way he carries himself. You can tell that he's really confident and when he steps on the floor he knows he can make a difference. There's no second-guessing going on with him.

He's the perfect veteran for these young guys to take after.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He has cut down on his bad shots since his food poisoning and is doing much better passing the ball. Thank you, Manu. :grin:

15. dje243

dje243 Member

You've gotta keep this guy if you can. I think players like him and Patterson are the perfect bench guys for a contending team. You just wonder if he'll still be playing at the same level in 3 to 5 years when we're looking to make a run. Either way, the guy is an asset. Yet again, DM finds a hidden gem.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think his shooting form has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

18. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

He's been contributing to the team in other ways, making good passes playing some decent defense, great hustle plays and timely steals. He looks to have taken less r****ded shots, but still makes them.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Probably the best player on our team at moving and getting open off the ball.

20. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

ARR..