1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The ideal new coach for the Rockets is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

2. terse

terse Member

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

No they are taking total minutes divided by games played.. that would be about right. He played in 3 games. The first 3 games.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I just have to respond to this one.

Chuck does play good defense. We have only lost 1 game with him as a starter (NO/OK) and he how much do you want him to score with T-mac and Yao (deservedly) taking most of the shots. He's making 61% of his field goals. What more do you want from the kid?

6. terse

terse Member

I see, thanks. nba.com's method is a good way to compensate for players who miss games due to injury, I suppose. But it does tend to inflate a scrub's impact on a team. After all, if I play just one game this year for the Rockets, for a total of 20 minutes, nba.com would say that I was a 20 minute/game player. As even I would admit, that would be a gross overstatement of my contribution to the team. :D

I didn't use the nba.com method to arrive at my earlier 45% figure. I simply divided the total number of a player's minutes in the year by the total number of games that his team played. My method provides a much more accurate assessment of a player's impact.

So by my method, Novak is 2.6 minute/game player. (And very nearly a zero minutes/game player for the last 6 games.) He is not getting anywhere near enough playing time to develop.

7. Panda

Panda Member

48 minutes * 5 players = 240 minutes in total

5 minutes / 240 minutes = 0.02

5 minutes/game for Novak accounts for 2 percent of a game's total playing time, but Novak isn't getting any.

It really sucks to be a rookie under JVG.

8. Mordo

The NBA method is flawed. That's true.

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Do you realize that half of your 7700 messages are irrelevant thread bumps like the one above? Just let it go and for God's sake get a life.

10. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Donnie Nelson. I am not being sarcastic...

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I don't want Jackson, Brown, Rudy T, Adelman or Thomas. I think a new coach
    with fresh thinking should be given a chance, not someone who is set in his old ways! My choice is Mario Ellie. :p

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nelson would turn this team into a machine on offense.

But everyone would completely forget how to play defense.

We would be going from one extreme to the other.

13. dfwrox

We are talking two different person, my boy

14. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

Rockets could not achieve anything with him being the coach. The last game VS Spurs, the biggest lead was 19 in third quarter, but we lost the game. For today's game vs Bulls, our biggest lead was 21 in third quarter, but in the end only won 101:100 which could not make the fans happy. If there's still one minute left, I think the Rockets would lose again. What's the matter? Can JVG claim that he did not bear the greates responsibility for such situations? Really cannot appreciate his strategies!

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2nd round or bust

this team *really* should goto the WCF Championships

I truly Beleive
    1. A Great Coach could win a Championship with the talent level on this team
    2. A Very Good Coach can take them the Championship round
    3. a Good Coach can take them to the WCF
    4. a decent coach can get them to the 2nd round
    5. a h*lf *ssed coach can get them to the playoffs

At the end of the Year .. . JVG will be judges on 1-5
    as far as I'm concerned

Rocket RIver

16. Mordo

What kind of coach is Donnie? Is he better than Don? What's he doing now anyway?

17. dfwrox

Donnie is the GM of Mavs right now. A couple years back, he was high on the list of several team to be the head coach. But Cuban tried hard to keep him.

Now with the fall out between his father and Cuban, I just feel he may think hard if Rox approaches him..

He coached Lithuania team on 2000 Olympics. They almost beat U.S. then (first time ever any team played U.S. so close). He is very good at scouting international players (i.e., he spotted a German that has been pretty good on Mavs's team ;) ) He also have very good relation with Chinese Basketball Association and Yao...

18. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Donnie Nelson as our offensive coach, while in defence, JVG tells the players what to do. Maybe Nelson can be our coach and JVG be our assistant coach, but only on the defensive end.

19. qrui

qrui Member

either way, i like this idea. that is with separate offensive and defensive coaches, one being headcoach and the other, assistant. jackson had/has white, don nelson had harris ...