1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The ideal new coach for the Rockets is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Nov 13, 2006.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Mordo I get the feeling that you have been arguing as if JVG were building and running the current Rockets squad for this season's NBA Championship (therefore he wouldn't be playing rookies for significant minutes). You serious? LOL

But you know we wish you (and JVG, of course) nothing but the best, and we will all be happy eating our giant bowls of crow.

BTW, great posts, terse.

#101 wnes, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

fire jeff van gundy and hire stan van gundy :D

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I could stand to hear a lil more of this

Rocket RIver

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

blah blah blah blah blah blah

We lose one lead to one of the best teams in the league (although it was a HUGE choke job) and already the anti-JVG trolls come out from hiding to rip him.

If it's his fault that we lost to SA, then he must be given credit for the Dallas and Miami wins. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

5. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

What we really should have done this year is kept the Gay pick and started Gay, Novak, VSpan and JLIII around Yao.

I was in the game and thinking: We are up by 19! Cool! Van Gundy might start playing the rookies when the lead gets to 20... I kind of forgot we were playing San Antonio.

6. zong

zong Member

This thread must start before the Spurs game to got the supports for the lovers, ironic thing is that thing is quite different after the game.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Me!

I would be perfect for the Rockets.

I would come on the BBS every evening and post a poll of what player move to make next- you all complete the poll and there you have it- the perfect decision making

Second, during each practice and game I would keep my laptop on clutchfans.net chat and you all could tell me how to manage the game- the perfect coaching

Third, I would work much cheaper than VG- basically, room and board plus autographs.

After you all get me fired I then will return here to pretend I am smarter than Van Gundy and Les. :D

8. shodnett

shodnett New Member

Let's give Cassell a shot at the head coaching job next year. I'm sure he'd play Novak ;)

9. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Chuck is in the starting lineup because Jeff thinks he plays great defense. It doesn't matter that he can't really score or that we had already lost two games with him as a starter.

My personal opinion is that a player can learn to play defense. Offense is much harder and you either have it or you don't. The object of the game is to outscore the other team by the way.

10. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

give me Jeff Van Gundy. The guy really knows his schtuff.

11. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

How about Mario Ellie, he seems to be involved with the rockets now and has been looking for a coaching job. Maybe we will get a Rockets Avery Johnson out of him.

12. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

Be that as it may, I think it is a well-known FACT that defense wins championships. Consider the Larry Brown-era Detroit Pistons, the Jordan-Pippen-Rodman era Bulls, the Shaq-kobe era Lakers, the Miami Heat LAST YEAR.

... and its not at all surprising that Ben Wallace, the two-time DEFENSIVE player of the year was on a championship team.

If offense was what really won games why then have the suns not even made it to the finals???

13. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Can you post a link? I'll check it out this weekened. Thanks, terse. I tried to yahoo search but got a whole bunch of links to the draft.

14. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Novak is averaging 7.5 minutes per game. We will be 28th team. He will have more minutes by the end of the season. So if all they need is 8 minutes, then I have no doubt Novak will reach that. I agree they can play rookies 8 minutes a game still win the championship. I thought you were asking him to be part of the main rotation and get 25-28 minutes off the bench.

15. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

All this because of one game (spurs)? If we win that game, you are praising JVG. Is it his fault that Yao/Mcgrady combined for 5 pts in 2nd half? Is it his fault that TMAC went 1-11 in the 2nd half? Stop blaming JVG for what is the players fault. We have agood team and he deserves a chance to see this though for this entire season. I thik we will be a real contender and changing coaches is ridiculous.

16. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

OH and please Isiah Thomas?!!!! Is that a joke....I can't think of a worse coach then that guy.....You have a lot of good posts but I'm sorry, this has to be your worst Post/Idea ever....

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Obviously you don't understand the power that JVG holds. He, personally, injured all of our players last season by sheer willpower. This season, he magically disappeared when we beat the Heat and Mavs (the win was because of the players) and he reappeared against the Spurs, when we stopped making shots, using his magic powers (the loss was because of the coach). When we win games, the players win. When we lose games, it's because of poor coaching.

This board cracks me up every year. I can understand not being a JVG fan to some extent, because he does have his flaws, but we are 5-3 right now and should be 6-2 if we could make a basket in the 4th qtr. If we were like 2-6 or something, then I would understand some of the criticism.

18. terse

terse Member

Where did you get the 7.3 minutes/game? By my reckoning, Novak has played 21 minutes this season, for an average of 2.6 minutes per game. That is microscopic. (In the last six games, Novak has played a grand total of one (1) minute.)

Preseason minutes don't count, because teams aren't playing at anywhere near regular season intensity.

You just don't want to face the undeniable fact that JVG has a long, long record (seven years in NY) of neglecting his rookies.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

imo, novak isn't getting minutes because of two reasons. the jazz game and hayes stepping up and pushing novak to the end of the pine.

20. Highwire

Highwire Member

My first choice is Rudy T. then Duke coach K. :)