1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The ideal new coach for the Rockets is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sarcasm never works too well in text written form. Gotta put " :rolleyes: "'s and ":p"'s and stuff to make it understood. Even then, people STILL won't get it (that's a knock on a lot of readers, not the one posting)

2. johnrox

johnrox Member

touchy touchy

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Having said it is amazing that so many people still did not "get it".

It was so obvious only rookies and the "duhs" failed to get it. I cannot this thread is 3 page long because of the "out group".

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Van Gundier is a good poster, but lately he's been lame. It's sloppy work coming from a poster whose normally good.

I know you are a rookie, but if you come on here often enough you'll notice the pattern. When VGundier starts a thread that he actually cares about, he'll respond to almost everything that's said to him. These sarcastic jokes from him are pompous and stupid. The only way he would decide to post them is if he doesn't care. The only reason he doesn't care is most likely because he's drunk.

This thread sucks, plus he's a Van Gundy fan. Van Gundy shoots straight, so, I will too. VGundier, go back to not sucking. It was better then.

5. johnrox

johnrox Member

well there is the rub, he wrote it just to piss people like you off. some trash talking ain't bad.

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

As it stands here starting a thread to "piss people off" is simply juvenile.

I'm happy he's happy with JVG. I'm satisfied as of now, but I'd be a hell of a lot more supportive of a thread wanting to extend JVG's contract than a ridiculously subterfuged one.

With Hayes out (who JVG didn't expect to be our starting 4) he's likely to learn a few things on the fly this week, and his status will depend on what he decides in the next few months.

It's just so good to know JVG "developed" Yao and made T-Mac a playmaker, but there's probably 20 assistant coaches in this league JVG would endorse if push came to shove.

He's ok for now, but he's still on thin ice as far the NBA coaching carousel goes. Right now that's where he needs to be.

7. johnrox

johnrox Member

come up with something good, bring it, don't sit and cry...

if he was drunk, i'd like to see what he says when he's normal.

8. johnrox

johnrox Member

look at bigfishnyc, he has the spirit

he thought it was asinine, and he came back with another asinine comment himself.

don't take it to heart

9. terse

terse Member

I know Van Gundier was being sarcastic, but here is my input anyway....

Under Adleman, all of the following people played more than 800 minutes in their rookie years: Cliff Robinson, Drazen Petrovic, Robert Pack, Jason Williams, Peja Stojakovich, Hedo Turkoglue.

Ah, but they were obviously great players and therefore deserving of playing time, right? Nope, not obvious -- except to a good coach. Robinson was a second rounder, 36th overall; and Petrovich was a third rounder.

10. terse

terse Member

Oh yes, I forgot to add...

In JVG's seven years as head coach of the Knicks, the following people played more than 800 minutes in their rookie years: .

11. awo86

awo86 Rookie

-Larry Brown for cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. johnrox

johnrox Member

the rockets wanted him before...

13. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I did not write this thread just to be sarcastic.

Living in NYC, I simply find it interesting that Isiah Thomas now is being attacked by the NY media/fanbase for doing exactly everything people here b**** about Van Gundy not doing: praising his players when they don't play well and sticking with a couple of young guys who are struggling on the floor.

My point is that as a coach, people will b**** about you whether you talk "positively" or not and whether you give young guys "developmental minutes" or you sit them in favor of guys who are getting the job done. I just wanted to point out the fact that the same guys who b**** about Van Gundy would probably be b****ing about Isiah, too, for doing exactly what they claim Van Gundy should be doing, had they been Knicks fans.

Personally, I have no problem with the coach making young players earn every one of their minutes (and be stingy about their praises when their team did not play well) and find it ridiculous that any players should get entitlement "developmental" minutes simply because they are young. Having to earn their minutes as rookies does not hurt a young player's development and being given "developmental" minutes do not neccesarily help them either (see Kevin Martin vs. Michael Olowokandi). But some people here seem to think otherwise.

About whether this is a "quality thread"... I really have no interest in debating it. I wanted to call attention to a fact, and I did ot. That's all. Not trying to prove anything about me as a poster or maker of threads. If you don't like it, my apologies.

As for Adelman giving some rookies 800 minutes while Van Gundy did not do so in NY, I have no problem with it as long as the Knicks kept on drafting John Wallace and Frederick Weis with their picks. It's easy to tell that Petrovic, Stojakovic, etc are far better players, even as rookies, than John Wallace. The simple explanation was Adelman's rookies probably earned their mnutes while none of the NYK draftees were any good anywhere (John Wallace didn't pull exactly pull a Jermaine O'Neal after leaving the Knicks).

Van Gundy played the rookies (Head, Hayes) last year when they were the best options and deserved to play. He even gave Hayes minutes that would have gone to "developing" last season's prized FA signing (Stro).

#53 Van Gundier, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He should have given Hayes more minutes.

I agree with your point. A lot of finicky fans here. When the Rockets lose a game, Van Gundy is going to be criticized for something no matter what he does.

I don't agree with all his decisions, but overall I think he is a solid coach, and an effective coach. The product doesn't necessarily look pretty, and he does come off as a major grouch in the post game interviews. But the guy understands the game about as well as anyone.

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

listen tomorrow, yo are going to get this,

novak and vspan are up and comers, how are they going to imrpove, tell us? oh you can't tell us, then your point has no validity because the only way they will improve is by playing them, and the rockets have the depth, why not utilize all of them.

novak is in there to shoot, he can space the floor, vspan can play the best defense. and man can he pass...

if vg doesn't do this, he desrves to be fired, he knows nothing about developing guys. also, how can anyone learn during practice?

and if you think otherwise, then you are an idiot, because obviously you are blind

16. yspgy

yspgy Member

if NIX could be a playoff team this season......... :D

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

johnrox... this is a Van Gundier post. I just insulted the guy, but he doesn't take it personally. He just clarifies what he was saying. He uses examples for what he is talking about and it makes a lot of sense. Frankly, I wish I could post this well.

I also wish I would have saved my "rank this thread" a little longer. It just got better.

18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

LOL thats because he had no other choice. There was no one left on the bench. Injuries depleted the whole team. That was not by choice! LOL

The thing I don't get about JVG, is that regardless of the player, they must play "JVG" basketball. IMO a "great" coach will take a player and use him (that player) to his strengths. Use the guy where he will be most successful. (i.e. use Novak as Rudy T used Bullard, short stinits when the offense is struggling, use Vspan as Sam Cassel was used, a slashing pg who could get into the lane and change the tempo of the game vs Kenny and the notorious half cout offense) . A "good" coach (see JVG) has one mold for every single player. As a defensive coach, there may not be many better, however this guys offense never changes. If it is not working he will never venture outside the box to shake/mix things up. You either live or die by the players on the court or in the "rotation" and hope that they will shoot themselves out of a slump. Not only that, he will not bring in an "offensive" coach to round out or complete his coaching staff. my two cents

and there you have "my" shot at sarcasm LMAO.... yeah not really

19. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

He could have played Stromile Swift more instead of giving Hayes 17 mpg when Yao was down.

He also could have kept Derek Anderson on the roster instead of playing Luther Head. DA was intentionally kept out of the lineup, and then shopped to Miami--and DA got some minutes with the Heat, too.

The Rockets were depleted, but to say there was no requirement that these minutes went to Head and Hayes. They still had to earn these minutes by being the best option (even if the competition is not as strong as it was on some other teams).

This JVG had no choice thing is yet another fiction imagined by the haters.

As for "playing Van Gundy ball", what exactly does that mean? Giving the ball to Yao and play off his post-up dominance? Actually defending your man? Actually having a game plan so that the management can fill the roster accordingly with parts that fit instead with a Brent Price here and a Mo Taylor there? Making the players play unselfishly instead of "taking advantage of their strengths" by allowing Francis to play iso-mania basketball?

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If Van Gundy isn't good enough, we can only get better by getting Van Gundier.