1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Texans and Respect

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Does it bother you that we are tied for the sixth fewest loses in the league, which is good for third seed in the AFC playoff race, yet we get no respect?

ESPN has us at like 18th in their power rankings (which are something I hate).

People talk about the division and how we're winning it, but usually follow that up with "but it's the worst division in the league."

I was having a debate with my brother, during which he was telling me how he thinks the Titans are better than the Texans. To each his own, but we beat them head to head, and we're a game and a half ahead of them. I told him I'd basically give us a fighting chance in the playoffs against any AFC team not named the Patriots. He disagreed and said how do I feel about the Chiefs. I said that we beat them already, despite playing fairly poorly. To each their own, I guess.

I realize our offense is bad. Our offense, however, should continue to get better each week. If it hits it's stored just before the playoffs, I think we're a dangerous team. This team is very underrated. I kind of like that, but at the same time, it kind of bothers me.

We've gone 9-7 for two years in a row, making the playoffs, with a dumpster fire at quarterback. We should have a better record this year, and the dumpster fire's flames are starting to get lower. It's about time this team gets some respect for what it's done the past few years.

Does it bother you?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

it bothers me a little but then I look at our score differential of -27 and I really don't have a case to defend the Texans. I look at the fact that our QB can't pass the ball and our o-line is subpar. I look at our defense which is merely pretty good but not elite, too leaky at times. There's not a single phase of football that the Texans are great at.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Not really. While we aren't as bad as some of the Debbie Downer's here like to b**** about, we aren't a top 10 team and sure as hell not worth the 3rd seed.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Who is worth the 3 seed then?
    We play the raiders soon enough.
    That chiefs team we took behind the woodshed?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is a terrible team. We don't deserve much respect. Probably the worst 6-3 team in football history.

macho GRANDE and jbasket like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Defense and coaching deserves the credit.

You are who your record says you are and the Texans are beating the teams they are supposed to and winning at home like they should. As mentioned all the losses have been on the road and against great teams.

We dont deserve respect because the QB play is worse than the Carr expansion years. Game after game of 100 yards passing is a damn joke. Turning Hopkins into a just a guy who catches maybe 30 yards a game is unbelievable.

Also the games just aren't very fun despite the wins. Have to be conservative and even simple routes are an adventure.

Next year when Watt and Martin are back and you have more OL picks from the draft, Cushing is cut or restructured, and maybe Brock takes that next step you could have a serious contender. The core aside from Brown, Wilfork and JJo are young.

SubE, macho GRANDE and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They don't even get the respect they deserve from their own awful fanbase, it's not surprising that they don't get that respect from ESPN either.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm used to it after so many years, so it doesn't phase me any more. It's the same way with the Rockets. They only way to shut them up is to prove them wrong and keep winning. Go Texans!

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

A lot of that will change if they beat the Raiders next Monday.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about that. Honestly the Texans could win every game the rest of the season and we'd still hear "The Texans are the worst 13-3 team in NFL history"
    It's just how it is.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At some point, all these "good" teams that happen to just randomly play bad against the Texans may just have something in common...

I have confidence in our coaching staffs ability to neutralize the other teams best weapons.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It doesn't bother me one bit because The Texans plain and simple suck

What bothers me The Houston Rockets, Harden and the Respect they don't get

juanm34 likes this.
  13. today

today Contributing Member

Here's the reason why we don't get or deserve respect:

QB Rating: Brock Osweiler (73.1, 30th of 32)

Playoff Teams:
    vs. KC (Win 19-12, before JJ's re-injury, defense won the game)
    @ NE (Loss 27-0, NE had 3-4 starters out and 3rd string QB)
    @ MIN (Loss 31-13)
    @ DEN (Loss 27-9)

Even if we win our division, we will be the biggest Vegas underdog of all playoff teams.

#Reality.

macho GRANDE and TheRealist137 like this.
  14. conquistador#11

don't really put that much stock in it. We don't even have an identity yet on offense. Six months, six new players starting on that side of the ball.
    as to sports in general in this city, that's how it goes even when the rockets brought home the only championship this city has ever seen. But arrogant fans of teams now here act like the patriots or red sox didn't suffer for 30 years or more. Now everyone is a cubs fans. The only thing great about wrigley field for nearly a century was that ferris bueller once attended a game there.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Very few teams are stellar against all playoff teams. It's why they're all playoff teams.

As long as the Texans keep beating the teams they should beat, while attempting to get healthy and make incremental progress with a new offensive core, that's about as good as you can expect for this season.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is very possible that they finish undefeated at home. The remaining games are Chargers, Bengals, and Jaguars. No matter how you look at it, that is impressive. If they win the division, they will be hosting a playoff game. That said, it is possible they are favored, depending on who their opponent is.

17. conquistador#11

the stats on kc should have been 3tds 1int if the receivers and refs did their jobs. He made huge throws that game and in all the wins. He faced two hot defenses and a master strategist in the stretch of FIVE games. Most teams face them spread out through the season. His rating should now be at 87 just with the KC game and bears game adjusted. Look at dabbing Jesus in carolina how bad he's looked when facing those defenses and he's had 5 seasons in his panthers rivera playbook. I still want to see more than 9 games with Shotgun Godsey over there before I have a final say. That doesn't mean Brock can't be sit down for a game if he's the one bringing everything down. Team first. And that doesn't mean Texans shouldn't draft qb, which they should and not with the 4th,5th,6th, 7th.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

3 blowout losses, 6 close victories..... blown out of the playoffs..... the franchise usually doesn't do ****......

Texans don't deserve much respect. It's nice the division is better than expected, so there's that.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans don't suck. Sure, the passing game is horrible, but our running game was great today. Our return game is more fun to watch than it has been in years. Our defense isn't the best in the league, but it's in the top 5. McKinney is having a heck of a year and is #8 in tackles. Clowney is only going to keep getting better if he can stay healthy. Can you imagine what it will be next year with a healthy Watt, and the rest of the starters we have on injured reserve back? I'm impressed with our defense this year without JJ and Newton. It's been good enough to keep us in the game when the passing game isn't. At least we got an interception today and didn't give the ball away. When AJ Boye gets back we will be even better. I like what I saw from Hunt today, and when Grimes gets back we will have more options in the running game. Next week will either be really exciting or could get really ugly, but even if we lose to Oakland we will be losing to one of the best teams in the league right now. Wouldn't it be exciting to actually come out with a win? I say.....GO TEXANS!

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They also faced KC before the league figured Brock out. Brock has been terrible after teams realize that he can't throw down the middle.