1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets draft is a success if they draft..

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by acshen, May 4, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Known SF/PF (small forwards/power forwards) tweeners in the NBA history (again I'm not listing everyone of them in NBA history, only a few at some posters that might feel that I am shafting certain players):

Larry Bird
    Charles Barkley
    Elgin Baylor
    mild - LeBron James (if he were in the situation that sort of forced him to play a four, he could be a power forward, easily with his skill set as it is right now)
    Tom Chambers
    Larry Johnson
    Anthony Mason
    Shawn Marion
    Boris Diaw
    Al Harrington
    Danilo Gallinari
    Josh Smith (I'm going to comment on him later with regard to Royce White)
    Toni Kukoc
    Detlef Schrempf
    Robert Horry
    Jerome Kersey
    Lamar Odom
    Charles Smith (LA Clippers-New York Knicks)
    Dennis Rodman (Mostly with Pistons, he often played next to Edwards and Laimbeer and would switch backwards and forward from SF to PF)

Chuck Hayes (He can guard SF-PF-C, and not drop off too much defensively, though you would be woefully limited on offense, unless you have offensive playmakers and scorers at every other position

Alot of the players I mentioned are and were under 6,9.

The biggest problem with Royce White is what team he lands on, how well he can play defense in the post and/or perimeter (or how good that teams other wing defenders are or ), and how well he can run an NBA offense. He could definitely survive as a point forward or play power forward on a team that has good low post defensive presence at center.

Early on, I thought the board was just hyping up Royce White as the year casually underrated prospect who most teams aren't looking at for a good reason (typically perceived character issues, style of play, and etc.). Though in all honesty from what I seen over the last few months from clips and scouts, even as twenty something pick, he's better than Marcus Morris. Unlike Morris, he's a really good ball-handler and passer (with pretty good court vision, some scouts says that it rivals point guard prospects). Moreover, he's got NBA-size to play the four and very aggressive on offensive, yet he's got the athleticism to play 3. The only thing he lacks that Morris has is his long-range shooting and overall scoring ability.

Biggest difference, Morris is a project player (who needs to develop these skills and most GMs saw that and passed on him), while I seriously think White could start for the right team (and is climbing in mock drafts), immediately, because of his unique skill set. In the NBA, there's a bigger demand on players who can handle the ball, pass and see the court, really well compared to those that sort of play in tunnel vision. There's also a bigger demand on players who can play in the post and get to the free throw line. White can do all of those three things I just said, effectively and is already good at them. Again, the only elements that really need to be added to his game are FT shooting (that's a problem with alot of C/PF-PF/SF youngsters) and perimeter shooting (if he ends up being a power forward, it'll be lesser worry, but he still needs to add that dimension to his game). Those last two criticism are the only few related to on-court basketball, when it comes to his basketball analysis. The perceived character issues is hurting his stock the most, above all else.

If he goes to a really good team (that is in need of someone to make plays from the forward position or the bench) ... watch out. If he goes to a bad or mediocre team that has alot of holes, you may hear from him about 4 to 5 seasons down the road.

Teams that he would be good for: San Antonio, Boston (be Paul Pierce's eventual replacement), Atlanta (if they keep Josh Smith, push Horford down to PF-if Smith is lost, or get a nice defensive minded power forward in return), Golden State, Cleveland, Phoenix, Utah, and a few other teams.

Best NBA comparisons (nba draft.com): Anthony Mason and Boris Diaw (I'm adding Lamar Odom without the same type of scoring ability to the list, though on the fantasy/dreamland Clutch fans analysis end of things of very remote possibilities he could turn into a Charles Barkley type player).

2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Unrealistic: Davis, Robinson, Drummond, MKG, Beal, Barnes

Ecstatic:
    PF/SF Perry Jones III
    PG Kendall Marshall

Happy:
    SG Jeremy Lamb
    C Meyers Leonard
    SF/PF Royce White
    SG Terrence Ross

So-so with:
    SG Austin Rivers
    PG Damian Lillard
    PF/C Tyler Zeller
    PF John Henson
    SF Quincy Miller
    PF Arnett Moultrie
    SF Jeff Taylor
    SF Terrence Jones
    SG Dion Waiters

Bummed aka another Morris-year:
    PF Jared Sullinger
    SF Moe Harkless
    PG/SG Tony Wroten Jr.

3. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

i dont care i just want an undersized pf i got use to it already

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Okay list but I don't see why you'd want Leonard over Zeller and would be bummed about drafting Wroten, who is one of the guys with the most upside in this draft.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm losing my fudging mind waiting till June 28th!

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I've talked to UW fans and watched some of their games as well - Wroten is a guy who doesn't make an impact offensively unless he has the ball...and he's way too ball-dominant/selfish to handle primary ball-handling duties for an entire team. He's the type of guy who has the "if I'm not scoring, I'm getting an assist" mentality, rather than giving up the ball when it needs to be given up.

He does have a ton of natural talent, but he strikes me as a cancerous type whose habits will only get worse in the NBA (unless he plays under a tough coach). His athleticism/handles/defensive-potential is great, but his mentality, lack of a jumper and immaturity make me want to stay away.

Zeller is a better player today than Leonard, no doubt. However, Leonard is longer, a more natural shot-blocker, and two years younger. With Camby here, I think we could bring Leonard along slowly, and his ceiling is higher than Zeller's.

7. jvu

jvu Member

we're drafting lenard + terrence ross if we keep our picks.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I always hate this statement by people - "needs the ball in hands to be effective", doesn't this apply to all stars like Bron, Magic, Nash, Deron, Thomas, Stockton, Melo, T-Mac? If your guy has great ball-iq let him orchestrate the offense, it will generate good looks for your team most of the times.

Of course not if he's too selfish ala Tyreke, but in general I'm all for the idea of one guy having the ball in his hands most of the time.

9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Not gonna get my hopes up. Were getting sullinger book it, he's the only 6'9 PF who will be there at 14.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

That's what I'm trying to say. He's selfish with a low-bball-IQ. Those traits with ball-dominance equal cancerous players.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think he has a very high ball-iq and court vision but is a bit too selfish at this point. He would turn out pretty solid with a good coach, veterans and staff.

12. lakers4life

lakers4life Rookie

wow the rockets are cursed, they lose amazing players like t-mac and yao ming, and instead they get stuck with lottery picks that get them nowhere EVERY YEAR.

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

Meyers Leonard

Meyers Leonard. Really good frame and should be able to add 15-20 pounds. Great touch around the basket. Not a real banger, but may be because he's pretty light. Decent shot blocker but I wouldn't expect him to be a defensive stud.

What I really like about him, and this is what separates him from most white centers, is that he's really coordinated. He's a really good athlete for being 7 feet tall and he's very coordinated compared to a Tyler Zeller.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

"lakers4life"....wtf you doin on Cf.net? :confused:

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Begone with thee!!!:mad::mad:

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow first post .. and mad respect for Yao and the Rockets?
    Faking it yet again

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I ask goodbug, the same question and people don't seem to mind his Kobe- obsesssed mentality on this board.

18. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If we keep our picks and dont move up, we need to draft players with high basketball motors, I dont want us to draft any players that look like they are about to go to sleep.

Any way... I would HATE for the Rockets to end up with this guy.

[​IMG]

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree, Melo is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the kid moves very well for his size and is a pretty good weakside defender. IMO, the perfect player to put next to D-Mo. He would be a good pick in the 18-25 range.