1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets are trying to acquire free agent Ramon Sessions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abyss, Aug 25, 2014.

1. NotChandlerParsons

It's kind of important since we don't create spacing by running actual plays.

2. NotChandlerParsons

BTW, sorry if this was already explained, but why is a sign and trade necessary? I assume we want to maintain exceptions or something but wouldn't that also imply we are giving him more than the min?

3. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Bledsoe is a RFA. Phoenix can match any offer.

4. baubo

baubo Member

Am I the only one who thinks getting Sessions(if true given Alex Kennedy is hardly a reliable source) as a replacement for Beverley rather than potential FA? He's just a backup or at most starter in a Mario Chalmers type of way. Getting him seems more like making Beverley available in trades than declaring we don't want Bledsoe or Rondo.

5. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Sessions would make a good back up. I am betting that Morey is targeting a PF though. It is a huge weakness on this team.

6. NotChandlerParsons

I'm talking about Sessions.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

A S&T would allow us to keep our BAE

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I assume the question was regarding Sessions since that is the topic of this thread.

And since Sessions is worth more than the minimum, they need to do a sign and trade to fit him in here. While he might not quite be worth his $6.5M salary of this past year, he is certainly more than a minimum contract player. It benefits Milwaukee if they can get something of value rather than letting him walk for nothing.

9. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

This is just something i think would the rockets are trying to improve their bench with the emergence of Khris Middleton probably playing his natural pos. and new star to be jabari parker probably taking over the sf job with the bucks. I say the bucks wouldn't mind getting rid of Ilysova contract for exchange of montiejunas. This deal to me make alot of sence for both parties. Rockets need a bench and bucks can take some salary dump contracts unguarnteed, and let Dmo play some with Middleton, and Henson. PLus Gee is always someone who could find a home there with bucks putting up some numbers off the bench or what not... Is Ilysova worth a 1st round pick or a 2nd?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kpjm3mr

Add the pick in there.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Woah, I didn't realize he was making $6.5m. That one short run with the Lakers got him paid.

11. baubo

baubo Member

The only PF I can see available is Millsap, and even he probably require a ton to get as of this point. It makes sense from a need standpoint. Makes no sense from a market standpoint. A lot more good PGs on the market right now.

12. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

It's possible but Patbev's contract makes him harder to deal for a significant asset. As long as he is on this deal he will have to add to a trade as filler in like a 3 for 1 type deal.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Sessions was sucks when he was a Laker.

14. mig0s

mig0s Member

what a bad offseason. Should've kept Lin and Asik

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

He averaged
    30 mins
    12.7 points
    6.2 assist
    .479 fg%
    .486 3% (that's crazy for him)

Offensive rating
    Defensive rating

True shooting

His laker stint is actually his best stint of all time on stats.

16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Good job. But can we get A better backup plan???

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is one alex kennedy tweet the result of all 10 pages or did anybody else also report on this deal?

18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I think Kennedy unfortunately. Would make sense for him and us though. Don't trust Kennedy at all, but it adds up

19. baubo

baubo Member

The Rockets have enough non-guaranteed money to match salary with most types of contracts, including Bledsoe Max. I don't think Beverley's salary matters at all.

20. rogower

rogower Member

My thoughts:

1) Ramon Sessions is at least as good, and probably better, than Isaiah Canaan in 2014-15.

2) Ishmael Smith, for that matter, is at least as good, and probably better, than Isaiah Canaan in 2014-15.

3) Ramon Sessions is willing to sign a one year, minimum salary contract right now. So was Smith, obviously. Both are solid backup PGs and acceptable rotation players, and, as a result, represent good value. You don't have to trade a draft pick, or use a draft pick, to get the guy, all you have to do is give him some money. Neither has trade value.

4) Teams are stupid about young guys, and perceived upside. I bet somebody trades a second round draft pick for Canaan.

5) Nick Johnson may have already leapfrogged Canaan. Why hold onto Canaan?

6) Just trade Canaan for the second rounder and get it over with. AND clear a roster spot.