1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Grunge Years -- late 80's through mid-90s

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CxKWTzr-k6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NWLShUu568U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i_2mWhfOhGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

;)

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Awesome unheralded bands from the era

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_6LB0MQI4V4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8kOF8G5YJdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QiZbDp1JOCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Life-changing moment the first time I saw this video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LHQqqM5sr7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love the drums in this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hHydZPFlf2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still my favorite Pearl Jam song. What a great album opener:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6JqldXQExHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

How so? Guns n' Roses>Nirvana, if we're talking late 80s early 90s (1986-1994).

As good as Appetite for Destruction is it pales in comparison to the Illusion albums.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

It terms of being an overblown, overwrought production maybe..but that's it. Swimming with Dolphins is NOT rock n roll!! :mad:

8. KingCheetah

App for Dest. is a far superior album to Use Your Illusion -- UYI is an overproduced piece of crap.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

AFD is all killer no filler. UYI they could have took the best songs from both and came out with one kick ass album but half of that **** is filler.

10. mikus

mikus Member

I really agree with this. The best songs from both UYI I & II together might make an album as good as AFD, but there is filler in between.

However, my only point was that both AFD and Nevermind are great albums but Cobain was dismissive of GNR and their music, which was a lot of the grunge attitude at the time towards 80's metal. Hence my statement that even to this day 80's metal is probably a bit underrated musically, except for standouts like GNR that simply can't be denied.

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

There most definitely was filler on AFD. Anything Goes? Rocket Queen? It's So Easy?

UYI II had no filler other than My World.

UYI I had plenty of filler but I'll stand by my opinion that if you combine the absolute best of those two albums it'd blow out AFD.

AFD was all sex drugs n' Rock n Roll which is fine, but GnR tried new things with the UYI albums. Their writing matured way beyond AFD and took on way more compelling topics in their songs (Civil War, November Rain, Estranged etc.) If you don't like the UYI records that's cool but let's not act like AFD is the only good thing they did.

12. KingCheetah

IMHO the best band of that era...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1kAIMlISHhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lVIev94s7Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SmvG2GZ3S7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UOqDCSRNgj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Filler... Try Harder.

14. mikus

mikus Member

I can see Anything Goes(I hope I'm not offending any Anything Goes fans), but It's So Easy or Rocket Queen as filler...c'mon, that's practically trolling, lol.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1TnL-LJKWE0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm personally quite tired of hearing Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, but I'd never say that they weren't good songs or album filler.

15. mikus

mikus Member

^^^^^ wasn't addressed to you KC, but to the previous guy you quoted.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its so easy was a single and they made a video for it you aren't releasing a single from a track considered filler.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hUwW7RI3U0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To be honest if I never heard welcome to the jungle and sweet child o mine again it would be ok but I happen to love its so easy and rocket queen those songs kick ass.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

The finest example of the talent of Janes Addiction. As much as I love Nothings Shocking, this song off Ritual is my all-time favorite song of theirs. Repped!

As far as musical talent, Janes Addiction are truly an underrated band.

18. DCkid

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AfpyoGFJNNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. DCkid

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jC9AUR-iTo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. DCkid

Candlebox got a lot of ****, but I always thought they were pretty good. Even if they were one of the first post-grunge bands that helped pave the way for Creed. :eek:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y-LW6m0zX5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>