1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Greatest College Player Everyone's Forgotten About

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by giddyup, Jul 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Without a doubt: Dwight "Bo Peep" Lamar. Dude was an insane outside shooter for the USL Ragin' Cajuns, led the NCAA in scoring twice in the mid 70s with something like 53 and 52 ppg averages-- and there was no three point line back then. I got to see him play twice at Lamar's old McDonald gym. I'll never forget the time he took an outlet pass, had a clear path, but just pulled up from the far side of half court and swished it. Bob West quoted him in the Port Arthur News the next morning, "Oh, that's like a layup for me."

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

And another guy I remember watching on TV from the same era: Ernie Digregorio. He was sort of a poor man's Pete Maravich.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Quite a few I wouldn't call "great college players" just "high draft picks".

But when you weed those out, anybody note a common theme?

I used to love Fenis Dembo at Wyoming. Of course we have our own Rocket in Derrick Chievous.

Most of these guys were either postup players who had no range and couldn't get their shot off in the NBA, or they were perimeter guys who could drive the lane at will in college, but couldn't shoot from outside.

It's all about the "J". A couple more that come to mind were Armon Gilliam, "Fearless" Freddy Banks, and Steve Alford, whose problem was more about having the quickness to get his shot off in the NBA. I also found a link to an NCAA .pfd file of NCAA records. There are quite a few names there that should probably make this list, but I couldn't vouch for the ones I never saw play.

4. Asian Sensation

Kenny Gregory from Kansas. I thought somebody would've picked him up based on his athleticism alone but the fact that he went to a big time school, played for a big time coach and put up decent numbers never got drafted boggles my mind.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Easily Len Bias followed by Chris Jackson.

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

a mixed breed of clarance weatherspoon and mike james

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm not contributing to this thread, I just want to make someting else the newest thread in this forum, besides the "Houston, we have a problem" thread. I'm sick of seeing that title everytime I look at the main page on the BBS.

8. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Kenny Anderson is the most exciting college player I have ever seen....

9. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Demetrius "Hook" Mitchell

Dude could dunk like nobodies business. Grew up playing with Gary Payton and Jason Kidd among others.

http://www.hookmitchell.com/

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well at least it's a bus... it could carry all the great college players Duke's had that turn out to be average players or less in the NBA.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Fennis Dembo was the player I was going to say. I'd hate to have been in the building when he and Gary Payton played against each other in college - everyone else would've suffocated due to oxygen deprivation.

I don't follow college basketball anymore, but when I did, the player I thought was just absolutely ridiculous talent-wise and a "can't miss" future NBA legend was Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Lightning quick release and could drill jumper after jumper. He was Calvin Murphy reincarnated in that respect.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

shawn respert

13. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

Bo Kimble
    Rodney Monroe
    Lionel Simmons
    Byron Stith

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Stith is a good one, I remember him at Virginia. That team was just burried by so many other teams in the ACC that year. They also had these two guards and one of them was lights out from three range.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Someone already mentioned him, but I agree with Bobby Hurley. Arguably the best college point guard ever...especially if we're talking about distributing the basketball.

16. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I have no other choice but to go with Pistol Pete

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No votes for former Hometown Couger Rob Williams?

Didn't he single handedly take Houston to the final four during Dreams freshman year with the team?

Seems like he was the final four MVP that year as well. Ended up in Denver and never did anything in the NBA.

Rob Williams

18. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

Since PPM was mentioned, I'll go with another guy that was unstoppable in college but pro career was riddled with injuries........ Larry Johnson.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Johnson was awesome in college and of all the undersized pfs who have been compared to Barkley, he had the best shot of having a hof career had his back not given out on him.

20. aburttschell

aburttschell Contributing Member

Marcus Fizer(sp?) or Dajuan Wagner