1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I'm also free to post in this thread, and nobody is blocking me from that (with argumentation at least).

I find it pretty funny that you've resorted to "forum rules" of all things to try to shut this debate down. Since when have you cared so deeply about derailing? ;)

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Reading those Facebook messages, I want to change my vote from "Need more facts" to "psycho ex". That ***** is crazy.

Shame on her art professor and Columbia University to allow her to publicly accuse Paul and make it a hostile learning environment. Can't believe all the sheep who rallied to her side without knowing the facts.

3. Northside Storm

It'd be anecdotal and I think that's bulls**t which is exactly the point I've been making. Nobody should make conclusions from anecdotes.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I didn't mention "forum rules". I politely made you aware that you are an annoying, attention-seeking, desperate little twat, as usual. And I politely suggested that you take your annoying, attention-seeking, time-wasting, unintelligent drivel to a separate thread.

That's all.

And now...

[​IMG]

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thank you.

You went through the same process as I did, as I said. Initially, I was sympathetic with her, but when I actually paid attention to the facts - which, clearly, the intern is refusing to do - it became clear to me that she has actually been profiting off a grave injustice to that guy, and he is the actual victim in this case.

And if one wants to draw any generic conclusions from this case, then I would say it is that one should look at all the facts first, before rushing to judgment. Certain people, like some dumb interns, would rather act like the three monkeys and close their eyes and ears (unfortunately not the mouth), and completely ignore the facts, just because their ideological urge to pretend to be holier-than-thou and point fingers at a huge problem prevents them from being rational.

Judging by how many accolades this girl has received, the intern is not alone in that stance. Some people want her to have said the truth because it helps them to go through their routine of acting morally superior.

#125 AroundTheWorld, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL you are so terrible at following along in conversation I wonder why I even bother replying. No one is suggesting that one instance means anything for the whole....you are the only one trying to make that connection.

As to the study, the idea of "attempted rape" is subjective and is not clearly defined. If a woman is drunk and a man attempts to kiss her and is rejected, does that qualify as attempted rape? To some it would. Does feeling creeped out by someone hitting on you qualify as attempted rape? To some it does.

The study you keep citing has nothing to do with the subject of this post and is terribly flawed so it would probably be better if you just dropped it.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's always the same with this kid. I was hesitant to post it, but it is quite obvious that he has some kind of mental disorder.

8. Northside Storm

Originally Posted by Commodore
    at universities there is a presumption of guilt with nothing more than an accusation

Originally Posted by Bobbythegreat
    I have known several people that buy in to the "regret sex is rape" theory including one in particular that bought into that BS after getting involved in certain groups in college.

Originally Posted by Mr.Clutch
    She is a nasty bully who took advantage of the current college climate.

The study was expressly operationalized to get rid of those cases. It clearly said that those cases were NOT a rape for study purposes, and still came out with

How is it flawed exactly? Methodology? What sample size is required to express significance in this case? And what about the Department of Labor studies, and the studies by the CDC which have much larger samples?

9. Northside Storm

At this point, dude, you're just being flagrantly personal for no reason. I want to highlight that because it's not cool at all.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Then get some help for it. The first step would be logging off the interwebz.

11. Northside Storm

You're really bad at keeping on topic, aren't you. ;)

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a fact...why do you have a problem with this statement as it relates to the persecution of an innocent person?

This is an attempt to explain why she'd decide several months later that something that she didn't view as rape at the time all of a sudden was absolutely rape and was worth the nonsense carrying the mattress around all year.

Some people have a really stupid idea of what rape is....that's just how it goes.

This is also probably true, there was a presumption of guilt that led to the persecution of an innocent man even after he was shown to be innocent....why do you have a problem with this statement as it relates to this case?

Actually that's not true, they never define "attempted rape" and the scenario where a woman is drunk and a man tries to kiss her would absolutely be tallied as an attempted rape if the woman happened to believe that it counted under her personal definition of rape.

Also, there's something fundamentally flawed about using a study that makes no distinction between a subjective opinion of events that may or may not have happened while " incapacitated due to drugs or alcohol" and a rape that actually happened.

How about that, I just answered that right above. The study is using a less than 500 person sample and implying the results to the entire country on top of the problems with how the results are tallied. There should be a clear definition of what an "attempted rape" is and those "attempted rapes" should be kept separate from "completed rapes".

Most importantly though, that study has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread is actually about....so just drop it.

13. Northside Storm

My last point on this--oh you mean, the current college climate where rape is systematically underreported?

My god, dude, seriously, I don't know how many times I can repost this.

I don't know where you come from but kissing != oral peneration. I cannot be clearer.

And below 500 people is your arbitrary metric?

What about the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, with 12,000-16,000 size samples?

How about two studies done with samples of 9,000 combined?

or are we just going to go on anecdotes for everything instead of a systematic collection of anecdotes pruned according to the scientific method.

This thread started a certain way. People wanted to generalize this one story to fit "the current college climate". That's bulls**t and deserves to be called out, just like a whole bunch of the same people who tried to generalize one story into a view of all colleges tried to discredit actual data on sexual assaults.

#133 Northside Storm, May 23, 2015
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, seriously, why don't you repost the same off-topic crap over and over and over again...wait, you already did that.

15. Northside Storm

i mean, ATW, at least tell me you know what oral penetration ACTUALLY means.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL. The kid has gone off the deep end. It was a perfect assist for a "yo mama" post, but I won't go there.

17. Northside Storm

You weren't so concerned about being off-topic when you were asking me about the UAE and Egypt, were you? ;)

You're amusing man. Keep on doing you, and keep backing away from actual substance. Like I said, stick to anecdote and emotion: you're better at it :)

#137 Northside Storm, May 23, 2015
  18. Buck Turgidson

Last few pages of this thread are the most D&D pages I've seen in a while.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, what really happened is that you failed to follow along with the conversation, but that's okay. You keep being you.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Northside has gotten completely owned in this thread. I have lol'd multiple times over the last couple pages.