1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

no, you implied there was only one reason: surveying bias and a tendency to self-report more rape anonymously because---

1) women regard rape as a thing that confers social prestige--even anonymously

You have not listed any other reasons.

If you believe that number to be exaggerated, what studies or data do you have, and what number is more realistic/palatable?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look, the study was of less than 500 women and they didn't differentiate between "attempts" and completed rapes....that leaves A LOT up to interpretation and can easily skew results.

Again though, if you want to believe that 37% of women will be raped between the ages of 14 and 20, knock yourself out.

3. Northside Storm

Yet you seem to be ignoring the Department of Labour and CDC studies with larger samples indicating between 1/5th of women to 48% of them are raped in certain contexts.

If you want to come into this thread and regard 1 anecdote as representative of anything, knock yourself out. But the fact that you can question hundreds of data points tells me that you're wasting your time discussing this one case if you ever were.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The rape issue seems to interest Northside Intern mainly as he sees it as an opportunity to slander the USA.

Northside Intern, what do you think about countries where reporting a rape has no chance of a criminal prosecution of the rapist unless there are a certain number of male witnesses - while at the same time putting the woman at risk of severe penalties?

Do you think these countries are better or worse than the United States? Do you want to dream up some statistics for these countries?

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Lisbeth was raped horribly on a mattress.

6. Northside Storm

Here are your dreamed up statistics:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...-has-the-highest-reported-incidents-rape-data

1) Are you implying that the CDC, Department of Labour and Brown University have dreamed up statistics?

2) Why does it matter if America is "better" or "worse" than other nations with regards to rape? Does that justify complacency if Sweden has double the per capita recorded rape rate, or if Canada has 1/30th of it? Should America sink to being compared to India and Saudi Arabia?

3) Join me in unequivocally condemning rape no matter where it happens. Join me in donating to Amnesty if you really believe in the cause.

http://www.amnesty.ca/our-work/issues/womens-human-rights

Now we can go back to defining an issue by slandering one girl, I suppose.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1) Yes

I agree with you on 2 and 3

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, absolutely.

Because it matters if a woman at least has a chance to get justice in court. Apparently that does not matter to you.

Join yourself in pulling the finger out of your butt and smelling it.

By the way, I have been a donor with a yearly contribution to Amnesty International for more than a decade.

Interesting. How exactly am I supposedly "slandering one girl"? Explain how you completely ignore the facts of this case and make that one up.

The only one who has been getting slandered is the German exchange student - by the mattress psycho.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What strategic, logistical, and financial reason takes precedence over preserving a good reputation? It's not like this is some ex in a restaurant crying out that he is a rapist. She's been deliberate and public about her goals. He seems to have no intention in stopping her. To me, it does somewhat speak to his reputation. I mean, I'd just think if I were in his his shoes and I didn't rape her, I'd be suing her and pressing criminal complaints.

10. Northside Storm

First addressing this to everybody -- why have the CDC, Department of Labour, and Brown University "dreamed up" statistics? What makes any of you believe that?

Secondly, why would millions of women lie about rape?

I cannot even fathom how illogical this response is, first by strawmanning a position I had made abundantly clear ("Join me in unequivocally condemning rape no matter where it happens."), and secondly, by positing that America's problem of sexual assault is okay because it's not some Kafkaesque regime like Saudi Arabia (???). Well, at least things CAN BE WORSE. so...???

You certainly don't seem to champion their values of rooting out gendered violence and imbalenced power relationships given how starkly in denial you are. But hats off, I'm sure they could use the money anyways.

One anecdote to try to bring attention to an issue well beyond that. You want to ignore the aggregated statistics of sexual violence to talk about a few Facebook messages. You're the one who said I was "slandering" America so I am responding in kind.

Why? I don't know. I could just as easily say your interest in the "rape topic" seems to be based on slandering one girl--and implying that rape isn't an issue in America because she's being unreasonable. If I'm "slandering" America by bringing up aggregated data from different agencies with the government, I suppose you're "slandering" one girl based on what, a few Facebook messages and one hearing of which you don't know the contents--you don't know if anything might have crossed the line. Calling for sex is not an infinite loop to consent for anything.

Of course, I must have "dreamed that up".

11. Buck Turgidson

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Son, I am disappoint.

At least read the articles when you post links.

From your own link:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...-has-the-highest-reported-incidents-rape-data

So 80,000 have been reported in 6 years (about 13,000 per year) - the CDC puts it at 1.3 million a year. It's only a factor 100 difference...

But even if you say that 99 out of 100 go unreported - can you even imagine how bad it must be in countries where, for reporting a rape, you get put in jail (like the UAE)?

What I am pointing out is that you frantically look for evidence so you can point fingers at the USA, while staying rather silent about the much worse conditions rape victims face in certain parts of the world, because of a religious/political ideology. But since criticizing that ideology does not fit your political leanings, you would rather point fingers at the USA, where women are in much stronger position when it comes to their rights and due process, as well as freedoms.

I don't want to ignore anything. I brought up this case not to discuss some wildly varying "aggregated statistics" (between 80k reported cases in 6 years and 1.3 million per year the CDC came up with and your ridiculous claim that 1 out of 3 college girls gets raped), but to get people's opinions on the actual case. Not more, not less.

No, you couldn't. Nobody said that, other than you. I brought up this specific case to talk about this specific case. You used it to post some wildly varying statistics and to claim that 1 out of 3 college girls gets raped.

She is not getting slandered - in this case. He is getting slandered.

Of course calling for sex is not an infinite loop for anything. But if you had actually read the Facebook conversation between the two, it wouldn't make ANY sense whatsoever for her to voluntarily talk to him the way she did if she had actually been raped.

The actual messages can be seen here:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/03/columbia-student-i-didn-t-rape-her.html

Here is the court document:

https://kcjohnson.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/nungesser-complaint.pdf

#72 AroundTheWorld, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Wait a minute...

So they started with anal sex as foreplay, moved to vaginal sex, then finished up with oral sex. What kind of backwards sex are they teaching at Columbia?

14. dback816

dback816 Member

Where are you even trying to go with this?

15. Northside Storm

From my own link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/health/nearly-1-in-5-women-in-us-survey-report-sexual-assault.html

So you want to dispute the evidence by saying that reported rapes are a perfect metric of sexual violence?

https://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

Oh yeah, it's probably a s**tton worse in UAE. Let's drive America there? :confused::confused::confused:

Staying rather silent? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not exactly scrambling to find evidence of endemic sexual assault either, these are all very public and credible sources. You have to be vapidly in denial to not acknowledge there is a much more profound problem than "mattress girl".

Correction: a study at Brown University concluded that 1 out of 3 college girls gets sexually assaulted. And a Department of Labor study concluded up to 48% of women in the military gets sexually assaulted. I am not claiming these things or "dreaming them up".

You brought up this case for whatever f**king reason, but oops, don't bother to look at the topic of sexual assault too deep beyond a random anecdote. If you're looking to poke holes at data and deny that sexual assault is endemic on campus and beyond, then so be it--I never invited you to do that. You're the one who seems to be leaping at the opportunity.

Correction, again, a study from Brown University. Please read more carefully.

I am not slandering America in this case, I am the one being slandered. :rolleyes:

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Didn't read the nonsense by Northside wannabe internet business journalist.

17. Northside Storm

:rolleyes:

Great argumentation style. Next time you want to question facts and figures, I guess you'll stick to anecdotes and random assumptions.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So, Northside child - what is your take on this particular case - judging by the facts available at this time - remember, the facebook messages are undisputed - did she get raped, yes or no? And if not, what do you think about her publicity stunt?

19. Northside Storm

Remember that Facebook messages are undisputed, but peer-reviewed studies aren't. lol.

There's nothing much you can take out of one anecdotal data point on anything of substance beyond just trying to paint one girl as a liar. And are you certain there's no way she could have been raped? Because I'm not certain either way. And that's the whole point : anecdotal evidence stiched together to paint an unfavorable picture of either individual in this case is a s**t's nest to debate on.

I've made my position on this abundantly clear from the first post.

I did not invite you to dismiss the real problems her "publicity stunt" raised, but seeing as you and several others have, I think that gets to the real core of the problem here: using anecdotal evidence to dismiss larger problems. Which is what I raised in the first place.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, that should be the lede here. We need better Sex ed in this country if that's how it's going.