1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Powerful stuff.

Shakespearian, even.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Certainly there are some, but not all indications. From the story, it sounds like she and two other female students are suing the school and police based on sexual assaults against them by the one male student. If that's what it is, then not all indication show he is not a caveman.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason he was cleared was in part due to lack of evidence of his guilt along with text messages and facebook messages between the two of them before and after the alleged rape that pretty much clear him....everywhere but the court of public opinion. The whole thing is just super shady.

4. Nook

Nook Member

No idea if he raped her or not, but anyone can file a civil suit.

5. Mr. Clutch

Those girls knew each other. Those accusations got dismissed as well by the university and police.

I dont think they are suing either.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't know whether or not this girl was raped. If she was raped, I guess it was bold for her to drag a mattress around campus with her in protest, though I don't understand that entirely. I'd guess that she was already pretty crazy/"artistic" and needed a final project for her art degree.

Why do conservatives and liberals respond to rape allegations so differently? I'm not talking about feminists like Lena Dunham who conservatives routinely attack as the paradigm of hypocrisy. Feminists do not represent the mainstream of liberal thought anymore than Tea Party members represent mainstream conservatism. It seems like conservative media outlets highlight the most bogus rape allegations to make a point about rape in general. This girl is not representative of all "rape victims."

Whether or not sexual assaults/rapes are over-reported it's still not something that should be trivialized and mocked.

#26 bobloblaw, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There are some people who believe that consensual sex that a woman later regrets is rape, I personally know some people who believe in that definition and they were indoctrinated with that BS while in college.....it's possible the same happened to her. She had anal sex with someone who wasn't that into her, she probably regretted it so if she later became a believer in that crazy definition of rape, she'd absolutely believe she was raped.

IMO that's probably something similar to what happened because there's no indication whatsoever that she thought that he had done anything wrong to her for several months.

Anyway, it looks like the guy in this has filed a huge defamation lawsuit as a result of this whole ordeal so we'll see how that goes.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That would only seem to indicate they didn't like the results of multiple investigations by separate entities. If the civil court dismisses their suits and evidence turns up of their having colluded prior to submitting their original claims, than at some point one could question their characterizations of Nungesser.

9. bobloblaw

I can't stand the "college is for liberal indoctrination" argument. I made a point to take feminist and African-American theory classes in college. I never had a professor persuade me to adopt a particular view although that was their specialty.

This is a Rush Limbaugh narrative. Just because some nutjobs call sex that they later regret rape doesn't mean that is a mainstream view. 99.9999% of college professors aren't indoctrinating their students. It's an extreme minority of actual feminist theorists, who are already a minority, that accept such a position. It's not even a political discussion. It's dumb.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not the narrative, it's pointing out something that actually happens. Hell I was talking about a specific example of it happening. When you have young really impressionable people, you can end up with really stupid people if they go along with the wrong people.....no matter what the ideology.

I wasn't trying to say that the belief that "regret sex" was rape was a mainstream idea.....actually I was suggesting that it was a minority opinion that some idiots adopt. I know one of those idiots, this woman might be another.

If you are the kind of person to buy into something stupid, you can just as easily get indoctrinated by over the top right wing ideas just as easily as any others, and I didn't suggest otherwise so don't be so defensive about it.

11. Mr. Clutch

Well I dont think you have to make that narrative to show this girl was lying

12. bobloblaw

I agree and didn't make that narrative. The evidence suggests she was lying and is ruining this guy's reputation. There's no reason to mention "indoctrination" here or basically anywhere in a debate between liberals and conservatives.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, it's a plausible explanation as to why she could change her mind about someone "raping" her months before.

14. bobloblaw

You think that she was "indoctrinated" in the interim?

If she did make the story up, don't you think she was trying to get revenge against her ex-lover rather than being convinced by her professors that she had actually been raped?

I don't see your explanation as plausible and my previous point was about the larger conservative rhetoric of liberal college professors discouraging critical thinking and creating morons.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Lots of women are indoctrinated to define themselves and their self worth by their romantic male partners, and by their status and inclusion in a particular social group. In fact, it's exactly what intelligent and ambitious women were told to do by other women and blackmailed into doing through disenfranchisement by men. Combine that mindset with the fact that marital rape was a trillion percent legal two or three generations ago and you can somewhat understand the additional coverage of alleged assaults, without assuming the accusers are all retro-actively disavowing consensual sodomy as a matter of belief.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Could certainly be the case, as I said, I've seen that sort of thing happen before and it had nothing to do with professors. I don't know where you got that.

Also, it's not about making up a story, it's about one day having a different perspective about something that happened in the past. If she decided that "regret sex" was rape, it would make sense that she'd believe that sex she had in the past that she regrets was rape.

17. bobloblaw

First you claimed that you knew multiple people that were indoctrinated to that opinion. Then you claimed you knew one person. Now it's a vague "I've seen that sort of thing happen before." Can you give specific examples of how your friend(s) became "radicalized" by taking a class?

Her allegations: they were having consensual sex. He began choking her. She screamed for him to stop. He penetrated her anally. She took 8 months to report it.

You are saying that she consented to all of it at the time and took months to report it because she'd been indoctrinated in the meantime, correct? I also think her story is probably bogus, but not because of the length of time it took her to report it. I don't believe she was taught in any class to think about her past sexual encounters with regrets.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was she raped or not? I don't know, but under the rule of law he was found not even to be suspicious.

Rape's a serious issue. Chances are that a woman in your life that you care about has or will be raped. You may never know it, but that's how pervasive it is. Doesn't matter if you are liberal or conservative.

Falsely accusing someone of rape is also a horrible thing, and people need to respect both of these people's views and statements. That young man shouldn't be villainized by anyone with the lack of proof.

At the same time, neither should the girl. We simply don't know the facts, although it does seem from her text messages that she isn't being forthcoming.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's take this point by point.

I have known several people that buy in to the "regret sex is rape" theory including one in particular that bought into that BS after getting involved in certain groups in college.

If you look more deeply into the situation, and look at the messages between them before and after the alleged rape, her story just doesn't make any sense.....and I never suggested that she was taught anything "in class" so just drop that stupid narrative. Pay attention to what I'm actually saying instead of what you wanted me to have said.

20. bobloblaw

I believe that this girl is making it up. Agreed on that point.

So where was she taught/encouraged to believe such a thing? The same "certain groups" that your friends were members of? I've never discussed "regret rape as sex" with my liberal lady friends, as far as personal anecdotes go.