1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Yes very nice narrative. Built under centuries of terror, murders, blood and discrimination. The Troubles and IRA never happened is only a narrative.
    What do you suggest May should have done about it?

2. malakas

malakas Member

But you aren't a eu citizen are you? You are an immigrant living in another country. You don't even have a vote.
    When I live in most countries in continental europe I have the same rights to education, healthcare, social services as everyone.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

allow for random border checks on goods entering and exiting such as done at thousands of trade points worldwide?

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wrong again

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) first of all, it is very unlikely brexit becomes reality
    2) i truly do not follow your logic here regarding rule taker and rule maker. there are dozens of countries with thriving trade/exports who don't sit under washington's thumb. and your use of the word "never". as if the world would be ending and time will stand still

6. malakas

malakas Member

First of all, Border checks random or not, break the UN peace treaty the UK has signed.

Secondly you are saying the UK should allow foreigners to enter their country without any control? A Romanian could go to Ireland lawfully, and then easily enter a 3rd country like the UK without any issue?
    Also it invites the remergence of smuggling. IRA itself STILL after all these years has their smuggling operation remaining. But now it would invite mafia organisations taking over systemically.

Border checks are done in thousands of trade points worldwide. But the UK - Ireland border is not a normal border. From one side you have Ireland and from the other side, a territory occupied by Britain full of Irish nationals.

7. malakas

malakas Member

My bad then. You and me are the only ones affected. I still find it extremely weird that you questioned me using "we" when talking about the EU.
    We are EU citizens. It's absolutely normal to use we when talking about the EU.

8. malakas

malakas Member

1) Completely disagree. Brexit has polarised UK politics and the citizens in such a degree that cancelling it is prohibiting. Before the referendum noone talked much about the EU in british homes, but now everyone has their own opinion and they are fervent about it.

2) But the UK will have to become a rule taker as soon as Brexit happens if they want to sign a free trade agreement with the USA or the EU. They will have to choose if they want to still keep HAPSA or not otherwise trade of food is impossible.
    The EU will not allow chlorinated chicken from the UK to enter, and the USA want to be able to sell it to 60 million market. For the USA to trade it with the UK , the UK has to change their laws because with the existing laws they have that is not allowed.
    So from the next day of Brexit, they will be under the thumb of Washington. Or the EU.
    This is the reality of the world. The UK is not a strong enough market to make its own laws. They can't even feed themselves they import 60% of their food.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they have had almost 3 years to plan for a hard border, something which exists for hundreds of thousands of miles worldwide. at this point now, if brexit were to happen today there would be a transition period but it wouldn't require 'rocket science' to solve this issue with a hard border. the eu insists on northern ireland remaining in the eu, but i don't see how that is fair to the people there

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i mean the vast majority of power in the eu is held by the eu commission, which is comprised of appointed beaurocrats. my understanding is that european members of parliament sent from each member country do not even have a vote on eu laws nor can they even propose laws. i doubt east europeans considered themselves ussr citizens 50yrs ago either :D

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

right now the most likely scenario imo is a 2nd referendum (and if that doesn't work out maybe a 3rd one till they get the 'right' vote!)

i get that the uk is a net food importer, but so is japan in fact they're the world's largest food importer. and they have no military whilst sitting in the shadow of china. they depend on the us for their security and still rank as a top exporter. the uk meanwhile can defend its borders more than sufficiently without any assistance, i think they would do just fine

12. malakas

malakas Member

There will be NO planning for a hard border EVER with the EU's consent. The EU will not willingly break a UN treaty and leave thousands of people to hang.
    If the UK decides to break peace that is a deal breaker for any withdrawal agreement. They can leave with no deal and then after that we can slowly start to decide free trade agreement.

The EU insists not on NI remaining in the EU but for keeping the Good Friday agreement.
    How is this not fair to the people there?
    Northern Ireland voted to REMAIN.
    If something is not fair is the will of other nations like England to impose their own will to Brexit upon the nation of Irish and Scotts.

13. malakas

malakas Member

I have no idea about the food laws of Japan.

What I do know is that the USA through its head of state president Trump (so not to be accused of inserting american politics here) have said that the UK must adopt US laws to sign the FTA and abandon HAPSA.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...-food-standards-for-brexit-trade-deal-2018-10

Theory is nice and all but reality is here staring the UK in the face.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Second referendum has no political majority. It's an extreme minority view of MPs. When nor the Torries neither Labour support it it's impossible for this to pass.

In simple words, Labour doesn't care about voters who want a second referendum.
    Why? Because they know they have their votes already. They take them for granted.
    There is no major political party in Britain that supports a 2nd referendum. So these people have only Labour to cast their vote on.
    Labour wants to take the vote of the leavers who want a soft Brexit.

Unless the new Independent group creates a proper political party and there is a major Labour MPs exodus (this isn't far fetched) Labour doesn't care to please 2nd referendum voters.

So unless the centuries old dichotomy of British party politics is broken a 2nd referendum will not happen.

15. Major

Major Member

Disagree with this - if given a free vote, I think it has about 300 votes. The problem they have is that they are extremely disorganized and don't seem to have a coherent political strategy, and I'm not sure where they get the other 30-40 votes they need because the opposition seems firmly against considering the idea. And they have no real leverage to convert people unless they can make their option the only alternative to No-Deal, which seems hard to do (that said, I'm not familiar with the in's and out's of UK politics so maybe they do have some weird strategy I'm unaware of).

I also don't get why it's so horrible to participate in the EU elections one more time. Who cares? So you get some MEPs for the short term - why is that a problem? What exactly is the harm there?

16. malakas

malakas Member

Farage organises a NO DEAL rally : gathers 200 people in Sunderland.

Remain organises a rally: gathers 1 million + in London.
    Where are you @MojoMan ? :D

As long as Labour takes for granted all the Remainers' votes the 2nd referendum won't be in their agenda.
    Corbyn won't be moved as long as he sees the sweet PM seat in front of him. I even believe that he will be glad deep down to see a no deal Chaos so he can take advantage of the backlash the Torries will inevitably receive and come to power.

It's not only May that is imbecile, Corbyn is as well. The UK is really unlucky to be cursed with such selfish politicians at this time of crisis.

It's not a great political cost to have EU elections in reality. Brittons didnt go to vote anyway. And their MEPs will be barred from participating in any decision making.
    But May and the hard Brexiters keep moving the goal posts making it seem so.

Major likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

So many lies have been told by the Leavers. They really believe the people have the memory of a goldfish.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I'm here. 20 days to go. Tick tock.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sorry, meant the people there loyal to britain would then be separated out

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they've already voted they'll never accept a no-deal, so then it would be between a 2nd referendum or merkel's, errrr i mean may's brexit plan. i think the latter could possibly yield high treason arraignments down the road for any mp who votes for it so i'd think the former is more likely :D

#900 pippendagimp, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019