1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Front Office is a problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Actually according to this guy cp3's super max contract has 0 effect on the moves we make.

[​IMG]

So get your facts straight.

rockets13champs likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Frustrating loss.

I'm going to wait until the trade deadline before I get too upset with Morey and Tilman. Morey said in the preseason that the team we go into the playoffs with will be different than the team we start the season with. So, I'm going to wait to see what Morey does over the next few weeks.

These injuries have been brutal. Without the injuries we would be flying high. I know that we lack the depth that would be ideal. But, losing three of your top five players would cripple any team.

I do hope that people can now appreciate what Capela brings to the Rockets. Capela is clearly the second most important player on this team. This is going to be a very tough stretch without Capela. I'm hoping Morey can make a move and shore up the center position.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's a reason everyone was downbeat after Capela got hurt. Even with CP3 and Gordon, we'd have trouble winning without him. That 42-3 record last year when he, Harden, and CP3 played was no fluke. And BTW, they were also 15-4 in the playoffs.

I suppose the upside of this is that the Rockets will be a force to be reckoned with once they have their big three back in uniform. But our playoff seeding will likely suck leaving us without homecourt advantage throughout the postseason(except for maybe Round 1).

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Co co sign

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This was a disastrous off-season, the first under Morey that I pin on him. Basically everything he did was a mistake.

1) The Melo pursuit: He's lusted after Melo for years and finally got his man. I tried to be optimistic, but the reality is that there was never a chance he was going to work here. He was unplayable for OKC and we tried to buy into the "oh it's all because of westbrook!" nonsense. Melo is washed and his type of player doesn't fit anymore.

2) MCW: I just shake my head at this one. There's no acceptable justification. Morey has tried for him repeatedly and it's inexplicable. The guy can't play. He's terrible. When we have consistently needed a backup guard who can spell guys it just breaks me that Morey pursued MCW in free agency.

3) The Ryno trade: He was irrationally hated on this board so many would have celebrated trading him for a bag of chips, but this move was a total bust. Ryno altered his deal as part of the trade so the money owed isn't even more than Brandon Knight for PHX. From our perspective we traded a playable backup big and a young prospect for a backup guard who hasn't been healthy or good in years. Didn't like it at the time, but again, tried to let myself get talked into it by the optimists.

We took a championship contending team and let three contributing pieces go and whiffed on literally every move to add a piece. Every move was a bad one. It was devastating.

Now, the season is half-way over and Morey is once more proving himself with smart additions and hidden gems throughout the year. Now we just have to hope he pulls off a few miracles to get quality players to further overcome the disastrous off-season coupled with the injury curse.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end we have three of our four best players injured, no matter who or how many players you'll trade for, as long as you don't get players of the same level (which is obviously not possible), you're going to suffer. Just imagine these teams without thre-e of their best players now:

Warriors without Durant, Draymond and Klay.
    OKC without George, Adams and Grant.
    Nuggets without Murray, Harris and Millsap.
    Jazz without Gobert, Rubio and Ingles.
    Spurs without LMA, Gay and Gasol.
    Sixers without Butler, Simmons and Redick.
    Raptors without Lowry, Ibaka and Green.
    Bucks without Middleton, Bledsoe and Brogdon.
    Celtics without Horford, Tatum and Brown.

How many games would those teams win with all those injuries? In the end we've been very unlucky so far, there's no way you can substain a similar situation, you can make one or two meh (if not bad) trades in terms of asset managment, but won't change much imo. I've read different names thrown around in the last weeks, we could've traded for Morris, guess what, he would've been injured now until March...we could've traded for Bazemore and he would've been out for weeks now. You just can't win against luck. No team in the league has been as unlucky as the Rockets so far.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

his defence was starting to slip and players always got past him on the drive. Not to mention how many easy misses he has in games. James Ennis guards just as good as him but doesn't take as many shots as him but still shoots at a good clip

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tillman with his Salary Cap, Daryl Morey terrible Free Agent History plus bad drafts, here are the Rockets now.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Regarding Melo and MCW, there is a perception on this website of "what else could Morey have done?!?!?" when it comes to his decision to sign two of the statistical least valuable players in the NBA. According to many, Morey "had no other option" but to sign MCW the first day of free agency and then hold a roster spot for a good month into free agency to bring in Melo after he was bought out. I fail to understand this logic.

Melo and MCW have PROVEN THEMSELVES to be two of the league's least valuable assets over the past few seasons, and for whatever reason, there is a defense of Morey for bringing in those players. He proactively decided to bring them in, and they were never going to work given how stylistically opposed they are to what the Rockets do.

#69 J Sizzle, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Are you aware of the existence of the salary cap? At this point all we can get is cheap castoffs, which by the way worked our pretty well with Gerald Green, Austin Rivers and even Danuel House.
    @ me you coward.

What I said is still true by the way and you still seem to be operating under the logic that the salary cap does not exist.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I mean, your entire 2nd paragraph perfectly explains why there is very little the FO can do. In terms of House, I'm sure a one year deal will be reached at some point if that's all we can get, but that's as a last resort.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We all b**** about the lowballing until Morey overpays, and then we totally roast him for it.

IvanLCPM, mikol13, Vivi and 8 others like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the salary cap was not an issue with ariza and morey has been sitting on most of the MLE since july. taking on more salary above the cap and thereby increasing the luxury tax is the primary issue for ownership/management.

hibbetts likes this.
  14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If we don’t trade Gordon, our option is to add 1sts and 2nds as sweetners to whatever players another team is willing to take. Yes Morey will have to creative. He will also have to trade away future picks for the sake of Harden’s prime.

He may have to gamble and trade Gordon at this point in order to upgrade the depth of this roster. Tough call but if we stand pat we may be fighting for the 8th seed at year’s end.

#74 BaselineFade, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don't mean to be rude, but I keep seeing this narrative that Anderson is still a competent NBA basketball player. He is completely out of the PHOENIX SUNS' rotation. He is a massively overpaid g league talent at this point

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This thread will not age well.

DreamShook likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seriously, there were definitely other options.
    There is a long list of guys who signed for what Ennis signed for or less this offseason including guys like Seth Curry, Raul Neto, etc. MCW had no upside. I don't get it.

J Sizzle likes this.
  19. foggy94

foggy94 Member

In terms of this past summer sure, I'm referring more to the posters b****ing that Midway through the season we are 'only' picking up guys like Rivers and House who have been great.

I get Tilman deeming the Ariza contract too much though. Even if he is willing to spend, you can't tie yourself into too many overpay contracts, whether he is "in financial trouble" or not there's always a limit. Not that I care how rich dudes spend their money, **** 'em, but each player has their price. If we signed Ariza at $15m and CP had taken a paycut the same people on here would be taking the same shots at Ariza for being greedy

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

After a loss Clutchfans is a snake eating itself alive. It doesn't matter how rational a move is, the championship or bust idiots come out in waves whenever we lose to put their two cents in the mix. If the Rockets start their winning ways again this thread will disappear.

Vivi, Will and YOLO like this.