1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The fourth big.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am still optimistic this season could have a fruitful ending. Maybe that means getting buzz-sawed by GSW in the playoffs again but who knows? Anything can happen if we get there. Considering we have MT and Lawson coming off the bench, I am happy to consider that fortified. I don't care if it looks choppy now. Let it grow (and remove Brewer) and you will score some points. Hopefully our team defense improves enough to allow this to flourish.

The biggest TBD in my mind is currently the composition of our front court as we rage into the playoffs. Will Capela continue to start or will they switch to Dmo? I have to guess that they switch to DMO if he gets back to form.

We all know Tjones is not the answer. Personally, I wish that James Harden would become a PF (but I will stay on topic). So that leaves us with Ariza/Harden when we go small and then the player that we pine to get. What do you value in this future PF? Some would say 3 Point shooting. That is high on my list but I am much more into man defense and especially defensive rebounding. We often negate the shot intimidating abilities of Howard and Capela because the other person can't rebound. That is a big part of why they work together IMO.

Allow DMO, Ariza and Harden to be the stretch four. We need mid range shot making and defensive rebounding there. Thoughts?

2 people like this.
  2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

D-Mo gets the spot sooner or later.

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think if Lawson/Thornton are your backup 1 and 2, and Brewer continues to play as poorly as he has, it would be a good time to throw KJ in for some backup 3 minutes in hopes of helping out on D (starting with only 10ish and going from there).

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Morey is going to have to make a trade to force the players he wants into the rotation. Move a couple of these guys for one good/really good player and that will make the rotation easier.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

assumign jones is traded, the 4th big should be split between capella, harrell, and ariza, depending on matchups. capela can be the backup c and pf when dmo is 100%. harell should get some time too and ariza/harden for small ball. dont need to go out and look for one we're set on that postion

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I find a hard time seeing a player added to the rotation. We have no one to trade. Who on earth can we get for brewer and tjones? It's not like other gms can't see how bad these two have been. They would have to give back equal crap.

7. basketballholic

Would like to see Larry Sanders with his head screwed on straight.....if that's actually possible.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I thought he has no real desire to play professionally any longer?...

Besides, people have described Larry as cancerous.

If anything the Rockets should focus on trying to nab an offensive minded post presence if at all possible, someone that can do what DMo does well...If the Rockets have a true post threat consistently, I truly expect games like last night more often than not. Dwight was terrific and active presence in the post, and that really helped shooters get more open looks on the outside.

I would love to trade for Andrew Nicholson from the ORL Magic(Frye a nice consolation prize)...This being a contract year, I am not sure what the market for his services might be, but I'd like to take a flyer on him. He really rebounds well, and has very solid skills offensively from the post. This year more than before, he has been shooting from deep with mixed results. But just for depth reasons...I hope Morey is looking to build depth at the 4 spot.

9. basketballholic

I like Nicholson and would trade Terrence for him in a hot second after talking Orlando into throwing in a second rounder and after seeing if there is any way they'll give us Oladipo in a bigger deal. ;)

But Nicholson isn't going to be much defensive help.

I think I'd rather have Tyler Zeller. There's a guy that'll defend the post and allow our other big to roam (Capela) but who can come down the other end and give us very good shooting to space the floor for that other big to finish.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

jones numbers are virtually the same as his last 2 years (10-12pts, 5-6rbs, 1bpg), which is good for a backup pf in the west, and now he has a 3pt shot. young. athletic 2 way stretch 4s always have good trade value. he can play defense against lesser bigs. he'd be perfect for an east team

gm's knows brewer's game isnt 3s, its transition and off ball movement. his corner 3 is still ok but fading. he's still a decent backup wing. those 2 with a filler piece should get something godo in return.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. You're just saying nice things about them. If those two were good backups we wouldn't be wanting to trade them.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

In the history of the NBA, has any undersized player led team won a championship? As far as I know, Barkley was the closest thing to it.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you have a very high standard in what determines a backup. they dont need to be perfect.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

But your point is brewer and jones can bring back value. I don't see it. I not think any GMs will

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Jones definitely can. He's young, athletic, and on a cheap deal. Someone will take a flyer on him - heck, Morey took a flyer on Terrence Williams and Thomas Robinson despite them both being awful for those two same reasons. Someone will want Jones - and by the look of the Watkins tweet, it sounds like several teams are interested.

Brewer is a different story. I can't see anyone wanting to take a flyer on him with that contract.