1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's hard keeping up with this, hopefully Barr will drop a summary for us working folk.

NewRoxFan, SWTsig, SamFisher and 3 others like this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Jordan with the hammer blow. Busted Sondland for not sharing the full truth in his opening statement. Said Trump didn’t want anything.

Time to close this political theater.

Astrodome likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let's apply some basic common sense here.

Sondland has always been a Trump bootlicker. Paying 1 million dollars for his inauguration committee is what bootlickers do and bootlickers get rewarded by being placed ambassador to the EU, a position the dude has zero qualifications for.

So what is more likely. Sondland clinging on to a hope that others won't testify a contradictory testimony so he lies in his original testimony understanding that more than likely if there is a contradiction, usually investigators allow for a clarification testimony (a second chance essentially) before they drop perjury charges or that Sondland sometime between being a massive Trump bootlicker and now has switched allegences and now is willing to commit perjury?

superfob, joshuaao, da_juice and 4 others like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Basic common sense would be to not respond to him since he won't speak in good faith.

superfob, SWTsig, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Graham is a weasel who would never have the guts to commit suicide, but he definitely will be replacing all his molars after this is all done.

seemoreroyals and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Nice try though.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gym Jordan attacking someone for not sharing the truth, always a good Onion moment.

Invisible Fan and NewRoxFan like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a perfect image. Michael Cohen already said this in his own testimony. Trump never says anything directly. He's a mobster.

RayRay10, Ubiquitin, Nook and 4 others like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Republicans kicking up a dust storm now. Let's see if it works out for them.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Gordon Sondland seems like a good dude to be honest. I think it's a mistake for a few of the Democrats to have attacked him. I think he's caught up in something and trying to find his way out of it.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob, Nook and 4 others like this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Probably he is. And, he might be concerned that it was a breach of protocol to do so and that he might suffer some discipline and some reputatinoal harm for doing so. For the sake of handicapping his credibility as a witness, let's go ahead and assume he did leak to the whistleblower. I'll take on faith, he's a leaker. Throw him in the dungeon. Now what? Trump still withheld military aid to Ukraine to force them to announce a bogus investigation to damage his political opponent. He traded an official act for a private benefit. Am I supposed to forget that part?

the D&D on cf.net is hardly an echo chamber for Trumpers. If he ran here, he's a masochist.

Throw away Vindman's testimony in your mind, then. But, there's still the testimony of Taylor, Sondland, Morrison, Volker, and others. There's the rough call transcripts, emails, and text messages. The case against Trump is robust enough that you can poke out Vindman's testimony and the Jenga tower will remain standing
    I'd agree with him that I don't like the practice of giving diplomatic posts to donors. It's basically corruption that is somehow openly accepted. I'd sooner trust careerists to have the intelligence, experience, and moral imagination to do the job ethically and well. But Sondland does sound like a reasonably intelligent, capable, and well-intentioned ambassador. His major failing was that he was late to recognize an ethical dilemma, whereas the non-partisan professionals were much quicker to see the problem. But it appears he now sees it and he's doing his best to be honest with Congress.

RayRay10, B-Bob, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agreed but I think his insistence on claiming he didn’t know the connection between Investigating Burisma and Biden will come back to haunt him.

I would be shocked if there is no email or an upcoming testimony that doesn’t contradict that claim. You really think guys like Trump and Giuliani can be that stealth about their scheme. Guiliani can’t even get through a Chris Cuomo interview without mentioning Joe Biden.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. justtxyank

He's actually already said he told the whistleblower, he just isn't identifying him. He didn't leak though, he has a coordination team of people at his level he is supposed to coordinate with. He shared with all of those individuals and one of them is the whistleblower.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sondland did himself or the Dems no favors the last part of the day imo. Seemed like he started taking on water and was looking for a way out.

The day started off with a bang and then he seemed to backtrack some.

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Exactly. If the individual who filed the whistleblower complaint learned the information through normal work contact or channels, it is NOT a leak. Those of us here wanting to expose the whistleblower have obviously never worked for a state or federal bureaucracy. The privacy protections are in place for good reason. Luckily, we have more protections than most experience in the private sector, where retribution is less restricted.

joshuaao, mikol13 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

"So, I've seen the evidence. It doesn't rise to the level of impeachment," Perdue stated. "Even if there was this quid pro quo they're talking about, the high crimes and misdemeanors, this is not in that category. But, I don't even believe we had that."

"So, this is much ado about a sham show trial that is what they've been trying to perpetrate since the day President Trump was sworn in...This is just a continuation of the obstruction that we've seen since this man got sworn in," - REPUBLICAN Senator David Perdue

This is such a predictable (and arrogant) response. Essentially there is nothing that President Trump can do that will result in Perdue agreeing to impeachment. This sentiment has been echoed by a number of Republican senators. I am assuming they all have sat down with the President to get their marching orders.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You might be right that his CYA will fall apart. But, unless the FBI wants to do some prosecutions later, I don't see why anyone would be interested in getting a gotcha on Sondland. In an impeachment of Trump, it doesn't matter if one of his agents didn't realize that Trump's intent was corrupt. So long as Trump knew Burisma really meant Biden, we don't need Sondland to have understood anything. Sondland's got some culpability as well but I don't care if he ever pays for it or not.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

People are getting their impeachment news from other places, I really don't think ratings mean a lot with how many hearts and minds will be changed.

That's the boomer coming out of you. :D

B-Bob likes this.