1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

That sounds like a political stunt :rolleyes:

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt that yesterday Senators Mike Lee and Rand Paul speaking out will move the needle on impeachment but if they are concerned about the violation of Constitutional principles they have a route to address that before them. While these Senators are speaking out now for too long they and many of their colleagues have been enabling this Administration in weakening Constitutional principles especially the idea of separation of powers and that Congress is a co-equal branch of government. For people like them and Sen. Ben Sasse who have frequently spoken about their fealty to the Constitution they have an opportunity to act on that. Otherwise they are just continuing to enable the ongoing erosion the Constitution.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if Pelosi wanted to try to change the democratic primary outcome with how she uses impeachment. But we can watch for it. I think if she's going to use it as a political weapon, she'd hold it until the democratic nominee becomes apparent and then drop it to get in Trump's way.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more folks parting ways with Pelosi

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

oops. spoke too soon. guess he got his pee pee whacked by Pelosi, as they say :D

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. NewRoxFan

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I heard a wild scenario on the radio that if she held on to them so that he couldn't be removed from office and pardoned by Pence, he could be prosecuted after the election, assuming he loses. Now, that would be a pretty shrewd move.

da_juice likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

According to Lawrence Tribe (Carl M. Loeb University Professor at the Harvard Law School of Harvard University, focusing on American constitutional law):

1. Would require 67 Senate votes.
    2. Would usurp “sole” power of House over impeachment.
    3. Couldn’t be applied ex post facto but only to future impeachments

12. dmoneybangbang

Dems should take Fox News Napolitano advice and start over. The Dems are waiting because new information has come to light and they are still trying to get the information they need from a political party that isn’t giving it up.

Iran corresponds to new information coming to light.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

thanks for the info on Tribe's background

14. NewRoxFan

I wonder if there is anything preventing the House from starting up additional articles of impeachment, eg what if the courts determined that evidence showed trump laundered money?

da_juice likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

According to Napolitano, no since they can point to new information as a reason to start over.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that. The Constitution and per the Federalist Paper 65 grants the House broad powers to impeach. I'll have to check but I don't think there is anything stopping them from adding further articles of impeachment. I don't think there is anything that says that impeachment articles have to be bundled together.

17. dmoneybangbang

Napolitano: House Dems should reopen the impeachment case citing new evidence

I really don't know.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Napolitano. I think that the House can issue new articles of impeachment based on further evidence. I think he is saying the same thing too.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't really understand why candidates need to be in Iowa everyday until the caucus.

How many minds are they really changing by being there.

Also will these progressives not find anything to complain about or think of as some conspiracy?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does Iran have to do with impeachment?