1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the flopping has to stop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by stangend77, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

There was a Rockets game a few weeks back when Bonzi had the ball and swung his elbows in front of Boki Nachbar. There was a clear 4-6 inches between Bonzi's elbow and Boki's face, but Boki did a good flop and Bonzi was called for the foul. It was both sad and funny.

2. MystikArkitect

Nah the flop is fine. No one ever lost a championship because of bad flopping calls. I think the new ball and carrying/traveling were much bigger concerns.

Wait...

3. stangend77

stangend77 Member

kings of the flop.....besides divac these turds were the originators of the flop! :D

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There are two different kinds of flopping:

Type A: Flopping to create the illusion of a foul.

Type B: Flopping to help sell a foul that truly exists.

Type A flopping is despicable. However, I'm perfectly fine with Type B flopping.

5. Bob

Bob Member

That would not be a flop. Flops are falling down and pretending you were run into.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah, foul or tech on the flopper would clean it up. of course that would mean the refs would actually have to use common sense when watching the game. good luck.

7. MystikArkitect

I actually really like the idea of giving technicals to floppers. That would probably really cut down the mount of flopping currently being done in the NBA...

8. Bob

Bob Member

I believe in the International Basketball Federation flopping is a technical.

During the FIBA competitions I have watched I don't recall seeing anyone flop.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

FIBA let a lot more physical play go, at least in the games i saw. Duncan was getting hammered all the time with now calls, but I noticed the US got away with a lot of over the backs too. They traveling a lot though.

The flop is here to stay because the official position of the league is not against flops. There's on show on NBAtv that has weekly guests hosted by Butch Carter and someone else. One week, the guest was the director of officials...I think he might be a repeat guest because the segment is discussing controversial calls of the week and interpretation of rules. Anyhow, the director said an offensive foul is an offensive foul. Whether it is a flop or not is irrelevant. Refs have to call what they see. If the guy has position, he'll get the charge call...it doesn't matter if he flops.

I agree with that assessment, but my only bicker is that NBA refs are pretty bad because the game is too quick for them. You can act out something that didn't happen and the because the action is so fast moving, it really looks like it happened in real time. Only instant replay would show otherwise, which is almost impossible in the NBA. I just think the charge is called way way way too often. I love Battier, but half of his charges are BS. In most charge calls, the offensive player is usually taking off as the defender gets into position, which gives the offensive player no chance to avoid the defender. And there are even instances where offensive players are using their super agility to not go straight but make a crazy angle to avoid the defender and the defender slides into the offensive player and then falls and the charge is still called.

Ultimately, the game is just called too tight inside when it comes to drives. College ball seems to let much more contact go, which is what the NBA should do. The NBA is so hellbent on making wing player superstars to sell jerseys though.

10. windfern

windfern Member

Terrible flopping job by Allen Iverson tonight on their game. He made 5 flops and 3 of them foul was called.

Can't believe AI doing this.

11. stangend77

stangend77 Member

AI got away with at least two flopps tonight........both were called fouls on us .....and one there was clearly no contact! :mad:

12. high5

high5 Member

Flopping is an art here in Europe. Every single game is a flop-fest and it's used the most to draw offensive fouls.

Also it's not a coincidence that Manu and Dirk, who are arguably the best at it, played in Europe before coming to the NBA.

13. stangend77

stangend77 Member

anybody see that d wade had 23 free throws tonight......there is no way one player gets fouled that many times in one game this slop angers me! :mad:

14. Sextuple Double

Refs?? Common sense?? Never!! Not in heaven or hell.