1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The First Ever Recession in Washington DC is Coming!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

But why is the Federal Government in the charity business? That's not it's responsibility especially when it can't pay it's bills.

Private organizations/charities need to perform those services for poor battered woman and others in need? If not, then why stop with poor battered woman. You have to keep going and help everyone who can't help themselves.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Civilization isn't free. Do you want to live in one that's completely ad-supported? I don't.

If government can't pay its bills, maybe it should stop bending over backwards to give tax cuts to people who don't fly coach.

3. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Hopefully this is a top down beginning of the largest re-structuring of the Government in the last 100 years.

Defense, Social Security and Medicare all need to be on the chopping block as well.

It is not about reducing the benefit but reducing the bureaucracy plaguing our government which renders it
    ineffective and full of bloat.

Costco, Amazon or Wal-Mart's approach is to run the business as lean as possible and pass on the savings to
    customers. All of these programs, bureaucracies and such are paid for by us as Americans.

We are so atrociously taxed on every level whether excise taxes, income, sales, property, taxes on business
    that in turn pass those costs onto consumers that we are being squeezed to pay for this largess.

Much like big corporations in the 1980's, they were run for the benefit of those managers running the corporation and not
    for the actual owners of the corporation i.e. shareholders.

The government should be run to benefit the people, not the cronies in charge and there should be limitations to the take care
    of friends, families, donors and SEIU voters and funding!

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

We have a spending problem more than a revenue problem. I do think that the focus on income taxes ignores that middle and lower class
    people are taxed way too much.

Imagine government layoffs! What a beautiful sight to push people to be more productive or pay the price which might drive a little
    efficiency and hard work!

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well people working working at wal mart are being subsidized by the US government since they make so little and get crappy benefits.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You can cut budget while still maintaining productivity. It is called efficiency and people and business in the US do it every day. Expecting some government offices to run exactly the same, but with 10% less budget can be done. Let go the least productive workers, retain the highest productive workers. Demand more for less.

DudeWah, Cold Hard and Dei like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol, good luck.

DudeWah likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Government employees don't work like employees in the private sector and I highly doubt you could get them to. Half the reason you get a government job in the first place is so that you won't have to do very much to earn your pay.

9. ipaman

Like others have said we have a spending problem not an income problem and we're already overtaxed as it is. Charity works although not all of them are as efficient as they should be.

10. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

That was fine when wages was below competitive private sector jobs, but today because of their continued structured
    raises and union contracts they make nearly as much as private sector employees with much better benefits that equates
    to higher long-time financial benefits.

Also many people game the system in government by working for different government agencies the minimum time period
    then the private sector for a short time and end up netting 3 different lifetime pensions more than they ever made a single
    year working.

Really silly system. I don't blame the mice, but the government that leaves out the cheese!

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NE?, we have Eric Begosian, The NEA funded the competition to find the designer of the American Vietnam War Memorial, The American Ballet Company, The Joffrey Ballet company, Prairie Home Companion, The Louisiana State University Press which got Confederacy of Dunces published, and the list goes on.

Whether govt. funding of the arts would still exist in some way is contrary to the point that we need more funding of the arts, and not less.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I can't wait for my government to be run like Wal-Mart. That's going to be awesome. Food stamps for everyone.

Deji McGever, joshuaao and Nook like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The American Vietnam War Memorial was funded privately with donations, the NEA might have put up some small amount of money to fund a competition to pick the designer, but given how easily it was privately funded by over 250,000 people, there was no real reason for them to do so.

I'm sure if I looked into the rest of your list, I would find similar situations where there are relatively small donations by the NEA on top of private donations making up the bulk of their funding......and also, I haven't really heard any great work of art that has come as a result of the NEA funding that wouldn't exist if that funding came from elsewhere.

Interestingly enough, I did look into the American Ballet Theatre (you call it the American Ballet Company) and I found that they have an annual budget of just north of 48.2 million dollars and the total amount they get from government sources is $470,440.....so yeah, probably shouldn't be on the list either.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't cutting fat, it's giving the left a middle finger. These cuts is like using a bucket to drain an ocean.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Never will happen, we're going to throw more money away on building a bigger military even though we are getting beat in cyber warfare, and Trump is going to send his hair to the money with the money he saved by spending 15 minutes trying to save 15 cents on cutting programs for women and minorities - the two groups he hates the most.

16. ipaman

at least it's a start and a whole lot better than pouring more water into the ocean especially when you 'aint got no more water left

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is considered PROFIT for a Government is quite different than for a business.
    Business Profit is measured in money
    Government profit is measured in the well being and happiness of its people.

I don't think many people understand that . . . .

Rocket River

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You have no idea what you are talking about - unsurprisingly

19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Poor people clamoring to cut programs intended to enrich the lives of poor people? I LOVE IT!!

Seriously, OP, how much taxes do you pay? Do you even pay enough taxes to keep one F-22 in the air for one hour? Serious question.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So true. Every time I read someone talking about how government should be run more like business I cringe. The implication is that business is so efficient but businesses fail all the time, every day. Trump himself has BANKRUPTED four business. Run more like business. Yeah... you think that line at the DMV is long now, wait until Wal-Mart is running it.