1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Fall of the Franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by poprocks, Dec 23, 2007.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

Steve Francis

Has he got anything left in the tank. I think it's obvious now to everyone that he's not the All-Star that he used to be. But can he be a significant role player much like Jerry Stackhouse is for the Mavericks or Gary Payton for the Miami Heat. Both of those guys had incredible careers early on and a rapid decline. However, their talent and veteran knowledge allowed them to continue a fine NBA Career.

http://mvn.com/nba-knicks/2007/02/14/the-fall-of-the-franchise/

The Fall of the Franchise
    By Allen Lichtig | February 14th, 2007
    E-mail | Print | Share

The Franchise could be nearing the end. No, not the Knicks franchise but Stevie Franchise. According to ESPN.com, the New York Daily News is reporting that there is a possibility that the Knicks will buyout Francis’ contract, if they can’t trade the guard by the Feb. 22 trade deadline.

Once regarded as one of the best players in the NBA, Steve Francis has done little since joining the New York Knicks. Francis, a three time All-Star, has gone from superstardom to near obscurity in just a few short seasons. This situation leaves many basketball fans wondering how such an occurrence takes place. Where has the player who in his career has amassed 78 double-doubles, and 6 triple-doubles gone?

With news of the possible buyout of Stevie Franchise’s contract on the horizon, I have begun thinking of similar situations, where a superstar in the league has become just another face on the court. When running through some names in my head, I thought most players who have had such a decline have either played past their prime or suffered a career threatening injury. Some who crossed my mind included Gary Payton (now in his 17th season), Michael Finley (in his 12th season), and Jerry Stackhouse (now in his 12th season). While these players were once superstars on their respective teams, they are now very key role players on three of the elite NBA teams. Antonio McDyess, one of the most dominant power forwards in the league for six seasons, had his career knocked off course by a serious knee injury. Until joining the Detroit Pistons these past few seasons, McDyess struggled in finding his niche.

There are other situations that have affected superstar careers, as well. Shawn Kemp, who scored 17+ points per game in eight straight seasons, saw his career down spiral as a result of weight issues and a drug addiction. Alonzo Mourning, who also was a near 20 PPG scorer for eight straight seasons, had his career and life threatened by a kidney disorder.

So, what happened to Steve Francis? The Franchise is only in his eighth professional season, and only once in his career has played less than 70 games. A once 21.6 points per game scorer, Francis is only averaging ten per game this season for the Knicks. A once double-double machine, Francis has yet to add to those career numbers, let alone threaten to record a triple-double.

The question remains, where has the talent gone? Was it Jeff Van Gundy, Francis’ coach in Houston, who ruined his career? Has the rest of the league caught up with Stevie Franchise? New York might never find out much about this once NBA superstar, as he might soon be shown out the Garden doors for the last time.

2. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

Why bring up old news like this?

He is obviously no franchise player anymore, but im willing to bet he revives his career like stackhouse and mcdyes have and be a good contributer be it he or elsewhere.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

The question is, how can he revive his career like McDyess and Stackhouse? Can he do it on the Rockets or will he have to be willing to go elsewhere to revive it. I thought from the very beginning that he'd have been better off on the Clippers.

4. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

He probably would have been better off on the Clips, but i can see him not this season, but next, really working on his shot and other areas of his game to improve on instead of relying on his athletic ability. I have no doubt Stevie can work hard to become useful again but what will motivate him? Apparently Yao is not enough, maybe his butt buddy cat will? Or maybe when he finally realizes he's fallen off so much and that will trigger something bc right now he still believes he's franchise ever since he's been back in houston.

5. AAAproduction1

6. mbiker

mbiker Member

Many Rockets fans followed their hearts and ignored the obvious. Portland bought out the remaining two years of Francis's contract for $30 million. That was the first sign that his career was over. You don’t do that unless someone lost all of their value.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Why did all the "START STEVE FRANCIS!!!" threads stop? i thought he was the answer.

8. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

well, the question is, what are you expectations exactly? if you are looking at the same francis when he first played here in Houston, then that franchse is dead. Francis can help the team in many ways to win this season. Jus tdon't expect him to play 40 mins a game.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has still not gotten much of an oppurtunity yet, and he still needs to get in game shape.

He had some very nice games for us early on, then he began struggling like everyone else on the floor...

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at least he gets to retire as a Rocket instead of a Raptor or Spur..etc

11. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

he started really good the first few games then when he got injured I think that affected his game now he has the flu. Hopefully he can get back on track bcuz most fans still believe in him

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Remember how unstoppable Gary Payton was. 1995 and 1996 the Seattle Supersonics were a powerhouse. I watched Gary Payton come to our house in 1995 and you couldn't stop the guy. He was very much like how Stevie Franchise was. Payton was selected as an All-NBA team member from 1995 to 2002. His production fell off as soon as he was traded to Milwaukee and he was not the same after that. He sorta lost it when he was about 33 years of age. Franchise is 30 so he's not quite there yet. He might have lost a step since he was 26 but an athlete peaks at about 28 years of age. Can't see a guy falling off so quickly.

My friend told me he watched Francis on the Knicks and said he wasn't the same player. He looked like he had gained weight. He wasn't the fiery trash talking Francis we had back in the day. To me this speaks of attitude and drive more than anything. Something happened along the way with all those trades that may have taken the fire out of Francis. He could still play of course and still had the wicked crossover but was not the hungry, workout health freak we knew when he was with the Rockets the first time.

Question is, can he be like Rocky Balboa and regain the drive to win again? He has something to prove. "Eye of the Tiger"

Or...will Francis turn into Jelly and be the Tire around Homer Simpson's middle? Ummmmm donuts!

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I agree.

Sincerely,

Hakeem

14. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i really wouldn't bet on that one...

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Barkley's Knee Injury Forces Early End To Final Season - Charles Barkley suffer what is likely to be a career-ending knee injury
    Jet, Dec 27, 1999

Houston Rockets forward Charles Barkley had planned to make this season, his 16th in the NBA, his last. But the end came sooner than he and fans expected when he sustained a serious knee injury during a recent game against the Philadelphia 76ers, cutting short his final season.

"I guess the big fella in the sky wanted me to finish right where I started," said Barkley, who began his NBA career playing in Philadelphia in 1984. "There were a lot of people here tonight who saw me play my first game and saw me play my last game."

Barkley broke down crying in the locker room after he ruptured a tendon in his left knee in the first quarter of the Rockets' 73-83 loss to the 76ers. He called his wife and told her his career was over.

"It's certainly a career-threatening injury and a season-ending injury," said 76ers' team doctor Jack McPhilemy, noting that the injury requires surgery and at least six months of rehabilitation, especially for a player of Barkley's age, 36.

Barkley, who had undergone the surgery at JET press time, was trying to block a shot by Tyrone Hill when he lost his balance and hit the floor hard with 4:09 left in the first quarter. He ruptured the tendon that attaches the thigh to the kneecap.

The crowd, which gave Barkley six standing ovations, reacted with loud "Ohhs" when his injury was announced. They gave Barkley a standing ovation when he limped to the bench on crutches late in the second quarter, and again when the game ended.

Will Barkley ever return to All Star Status?

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

I think your facts are a bit off but I get your point.

In his final year in the NBA, Barkley's season and career ended prematurely after rupturing his left quadriceps tendon on December 8, 1999 in Philadelphia, where his career began.[30] Before the injury, Barkley averaged 14.5 points on 47.7% field goal shooting and 10.5 rebounds per game.[2] Refusing to allow his injury to be the last image of his career, Barkley returned after four months for one final game. On April 19, 2000, in a home game against the Vancouver Grizzlies, Barkley scored a memorable basket on an offensive rebound and putback, a common trademark during his career. He accomplished what he set out to do after being activated from the injured list, and walked off the court to a standing ovation.[31] He stated, "I can't explain what tonight meant. I did it for me. I've won and lost a lot of games, but the last memory I had was being carried off the court. I couldn't get over the mental block of being carried off the court. It was important psychologically to walk off the court on my own."[31] After the basket, Barkley immediately retired and concluded his sixteen-year NBA Hall of Fame career.

17. feihung316

feihung316 Member

it's sad whenever he finally does get into the games this year it looks like he's playing with such a short leash. he's playing like if he makes any type of mistake at all, he'll get back to the bench, which sadly is probably true. **** you adelman, you took his spark.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Ralph Sampson??

19. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Seems that way to me as well!

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

UPDATE!!!

I have word that Barkley and Jordan are planning to reignite their careers with the former Washington Bullets (they are going to change their name to the Wizards, stupid name right?). I'm not completely sure about this rumor but I'll keep you up to date....