1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Facts about the Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 20, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, **** Mitch McConnell.

Democrats position should be simple.

"Republicans control all three branches of government and have shown an unwillingness to work with Democrats over the past six years, in any capacity. We are disappointed they cannot function competently as politicians in these United States. If the right needs Democratic support to re-open the government, we simply require them fulfill three promises they have made, which supports policies that are overwhelmingly popular in polling. 1.) Protect the Dreamers, who are here at no fault of their own, and who are as American as anyone 2.) Fund CHIP, which provides healthcare to 9 million children, who likely otherwise, won't have it 3.) Fund the Obamacare subsidiaries, which will drive down premiums for our citizens. Furthermore, If these simple items are agreed upon, the Democrats will offer concessions in the form of a modest increase in spending for Border Security."

That is it, no negotiations. Take it or leave it.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then they'll pick "leave it" and throw your boy Obama's words from 5 years ago back in your face.

I mean, it's nice spin and it'll work on those who just want to believe it, but the fact is the Democrats filibustered specifically to cause a government shutdown so they have to own it. They might as well just say "getting our way is worth any pain the shutdown might cause" because it's obvious that is the attitude.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But he is a self proclaimed genius and has highest IQ of any President. How could he not understand what a clean bill is when it’s fairly intuitive to anyone of normal intelligence regardless of political knowledge.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's obvious that Democrats knew they were going to have to own this shutdown, which is why they have already caved and their shutdown is about to end.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump endorsed a bipartisan compromise bill. He said he would sign whatever these guys came up with. They brought him the bill, and he said he wouldn't sign it. I wouldn't blame any Democrat nor Republican congressman for shutting down the government when the problem is wholly created by Trump's faithless negotiations.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, that's the Trump Derangement Syndrome point of view, but hopefully most people are more rational than that. Those who actually shut down the government are the ones that shut down the government......which was the Democrats who filibustered government funding only to cave 2 days later and re-open the government.

gifford1967 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can someone with Obama derangement syndrome properly diagnose someone with Trump derangement sybdrom accurately?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The bipartisan vote to re-open government is the worst thing that could have happened Trump and the GOP if you think about it.

It creates an even bigger divide within the Republican party and Trump's loyalists. Happy to have it though. Makes Trump look like a well...Trump.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the Democrats caving and ending their government shutdown only 2 days after they initiated it is terrible for everyone....because reasons

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gives the Republicans a chance to go against their work and put their excuses to bed. It’s temporary and removes the GOP narrative.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hopefully, they can have better negotiations during the next pre-shutdown instead of during shutdown. In shutdown, there's a lot of pressure to make sure the other guy gets the blame, which can't be too helpful for bipartisanship. But, Feb 8 is right around the corner, and we'll be in shutdown again. The continuing resolution is essentially the Democrats' only weapon to get anything. They won't be giving it up without getting some tangible victory they can crow about, even if they have to give up the wall, or whatever else in the process. So I expect we'll be back here in the first week of Feb.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really no different than if the Democrats had just voted to avoid the shutdown to begin with....or if they merely didn't filibuster allowing it to pass. All they did was show that they were willing to shut down the government in an effort to advance their immigration policy.....only to cave 2 days later.

Do you really think they are going to shut the government down again over the same thing? How do you think that would play? They wouldn't have caved so quickly if they weren't worried about blowback over their decision to shut down the government.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt the Democrats shut down the government again. If they weren't worried about catching heat over their decision to shut down the government the first time they wouldn't have caved so quickly without getting anything in return.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As I said this AM, the Dems would ultimately cave because ultimately they realize that the downsides of a shutdown LONGTERM outweigh the benefits of what you are fighting for with the shutdown.

All the huffing and puffing & finger pointing from the right wing hate media was nonsense as usual.

Again.... as I said, in the end, the Republicans are in control of every aspect of the government, and in the end the buck stops there. If the GOP cannot even get a longterm budget agreement than thats on them.

Lets see what they end up doing in the next 3 weeks. I'm not holding out hope as long as Trump and GOP continue to be held hostage by the Racist Right.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You know what's worse than being stupid? Being stupid and weak. The skill, talent, personality, etc... of the democratic party, it's leadership, and it's high ranking members has to be at an all time low. Bunch of weird, corrupt, weak, cast of misfits that combined with the the jesus, bible thumping, gun lovers, cast of weirdos makes for an all time worst collection of politicians in us history.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It is looking like no one can trust the WH and trump administration anymore...

17. NewRoxFan

18. NewRoxFan

And of course, more lies from the WH...

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll say it again... This was the decision (by the Dems) of a bad choice and a horrendous choice.

Fund the government, extend CHIP, allow the GOP/Trump to take ownership of whatever happens next, and allow Trump to deport 700K Dreamers, or:

Get blamed for a long lasting Govt shutdown that costs our country over a billion dollars a day, lose CHIP coverage for millions of children, and still have no avenue for saving the Dreamers.

However.... I'll make this statement now, and unfortunately I feel pretty confident this is inevitable.... today is the day that Dreamers should start preparing for deportation. This seems inevitable as death and taxes at this point. Trump has always wanted to deport Dreamers, he's just at least smart enough to know how politically toxic it will make him for everyone that is NOT a complete racist bigot in the US. Thats why he needed something like a botched shutdown as an excuse to blame someone else. You've already seen the groundwork being laid by now referring to DACA recipients as "Illegal Immigrants".

Point being - There is just no way in hell that a truly bi-partisan bill out of the Senate will ever get signed by the White Supremacist in Chief.

It just will never happen. (Hope I'm wrong. I have friends who are DACA in Houston, and they are pretty freaking scared).

Elections have consequences folks.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

... and we will soon see trump and congressional republicans lie about immigration compromise now that the Democrat leadership agreed to today's compromise. Schumer blinked... and DACA and CHIPs will be stopped by a dishonest republican majority.