1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Facts about the Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 20, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While personally I don't see why doing the right thing and addressing DACA needs a condition met before addressing it, you somehow missed the fact that Democrats did agree to fund border security and address chain migration if DACA was fixed. Unfortunately trump and border hawks refused. And now they will only do the right thing and address DACA after they get their way with the wall.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Humpty Trumpty will not fall

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Im not a fan of things being 'slipped' into bills that are un-related to what it's supposed to even be about.

Every single government shutdown 'talk' ends up bringing terrible laws to the nation, laws and rules that are completely unrelated to the discussion, laws and rules which would have never passed on their own merit, but get approved because everyone is scrambling to get something passed before a shutdown. It's pathetic and I'll always be against it. This is why we will never have a true 'long term' budget agreement. All of the big 'donors' get there sh/t laws that benefit their companies passed in these budget/government shutdown agreement 'slips'. They love having to come up with these agreements to avoid shutdowns as often as we have to have them.

It hurts democrats, it hurts republicans, and it always hurts the American people. I'll always be against it. Which is why I'm against anything DACA related being slipped into this thing. It needs to be discussed on it's own.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

5. NewRoxFan

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not bad from our resident chief far left wing propagandist....of course it's not true, but that rarely matters to propagandists. The reality is that the only people taking hostages are the Democrats who are holding government funding hostage until they get their way on immigration policies.

This bit of propaganda is essentially equivalent to the man with the gun telling the people on their knees that the people outside are holding them hostage due to not showing up with a helmet full of cottage cheese and nude pictures of Bea Arthur.

[​IMG]

Anyway, nice work, but I'm just saying that you can't expect many to buy your BS unless they simply predisposed to believing it.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine controlling the White House and Congress but being unable to keep the government open when you don't need a single Democratic vote to do so. It's probably best to divert attention to the minority party and hope that your followers can't understand simple arithmetic.

superfob likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If that was true, then the government wouldn't have shut down. Unfortunately, that's not the case due to the fake filibuster in the Senate that requires support from both parties to avoid a shutdown.

If you don't know that or understand why that is the case, it's probably best that you refrain from giving your opinion on the matter. Also, when you seem to be the ignorant person, it's REALLY not smart to insult others.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Just imagining this guy's Twitter feed gives me a headache. It has gotten to the point where I see his little rocket logo and roll my eyes. Trump derangement syndrome is real.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Jeff Flake & Lindsay Grahamnesty never should have been involved in negotiating a "compromise bill". They are Democrats in Republican guise.

The American people want, and voted for, the type of immigration reform championed by Trump, Cotton, and Goodlatte. Not that of the establishment RINO's.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not completely his fault, he's just saying what the spin from DNC propaganda would have him believe. Sure, he should do some thinking of his own, but it's to the point where you can't expect people to do that anymore.

Unfortunately he never had anyone spell it out to him mathematically or he'd realize that 51<60

12. NewRoxFan

Ok, you prefer a clean DACA bill. Like the one Senator Feinstein proposed at the televised immigration meeting with trump. Yes, I would have preferred that too. Too bad right wing republicans stopped that.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Good solution is the ignore button. I use it myself.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Lol, Jeff Flake is a Democrat?

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The Rockets will never make it past the Warriors with Zhou Qi holding them back!

And yes, the Fox faithful are immune to math, so no worries there.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But then he'd miss out on all of your DNC propaganda....

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

51<60

But apparently DNC propaganda is immune to math.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

The Dems have drawn a line in the sand unfortunately it’s in their sandbox. It’s time for a Schumer and Pelosi mental capacity test.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry that you are unfamiliar with the actual voting record of Jeff Flake or the long history of Lindsay Graham.

More Americans voted against Trump than voted for him. He has only gotten less popular since the election. A distinct minority approve of him.

They have actually surveyed the nation on DACA, and it is overwhelmingly popular and what Americans as a whole clearly want.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Instead of bickering like a bunch of teenage girls, why don't you all provide solutions.

The problem with DACA is that, like any amnesty, it encourages continued illegal immigration. Reagan amnestied millions and here we are again with another 10 million illegals. If you want a compromise on DACA then provide something in return. I would propose giving DACA folks citizenship in return for the end of birthright citizenship, which would require a state vote on the matter I believe since it's Constitutional. We could allow any child born to at least one citizen be given citizenship. We must discourage illegal immigration and removing birthright citizenship would put a gigantic stop sign in the minds of illegals coming here to have children and chain migrate here.