1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Facts about the Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 20, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

We had a Ted Cruz government shutdown 5/6 years ago. This isn’t a big deal, it just makes the govt look incompetent.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

this is false. Democrats said they would filibuster all individual appropriation bills.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That doesn't make what I wrote false, if Republicans are unwilling to vote for those bills if they must also vote to preserve protections for DACA recipients -- which is clearly the case if they were against a bill that combines the two.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His thread title should have been "Only Selected Facts About the Government Shutdown"

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think shutting down the the government over daca is dumb. However they should make a rule that government can't use the information gathered from daca people to deport them. That just seems super unfair.

A majority of American's have no interest in deporting these people.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump-immigration-daca/
    • DACA popular across party lines: 96% of Democrats, 72% of Republicans back it

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Another Republican blunder to start the new year.

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

If I recall, Republicans can remove the filibuster.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wonder if we could get enough votes to replace the national anthem w just the losing horn.

Everyone stand. Jets fly over. We put our hands on our hearts, face the flag, and then: losing horn, and we sit down.

peleincubus likes this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

How can you not pass legislation when you control the legislative and executive branches?

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

OP did you just discover Fox News or something?

B-Bob likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't get legislation through the Senate unless you have 60 votes due to the fake filibuster that exists today. Mere control means very little as it currently stands. Now if they were to do away with the fake filibuster, we'd likely never have these problems without a divided congress.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And this is the real reason the Democrats chose to shut down the government. For propaganda purposes.

15. amaru

amaru Member

How did they not manage to get 60 votes. Aren’t they around the high 50s?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they are currently at 51 if McCain is there, 50 if he's not. That means they'd need 9 Democrats to break ranks if everyone was there, 10 if McCain was unavailable. Getting 9 or 10 Democrats to break ranks during this kind of political climate is nearly impossible especially when the leaders of the party REALLY want a shutdown as is the case at the moment.

I think they got 5 to break ranks, but that's simply not enough to overcome the fake filibuster. Now if they got rid of the fake filibuster and went back to the old Senate rules where you actually had to filibuster rather than merely threaten to do so, none of this would be a problem as it would be REALLY difficult to be an obstructionist.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

DACA is a sensitive subject that requires much more talking and negotiating. There is two very different view points and both need to be respected and discussed. Republicans stated they are open for that discussion. This is also why Trump extended DACA protections up to this point.

Democrats are refusing that discussion and basically holding the actual American citizen's well being hostage by essentially saying 'Slip DACA into the government funding bill or government shutdown'

In another note. I think Republicans are down for DACA and even amnesty. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. As long as more border security is given in return so illegal immigration doesn't get as out of hand in the future. BTW my stance is libertarian and I did not vote last election. But tbh that seems like a reasonable compromise. However, if others feel that isn't a reasonable compromise I DO think a compromise on DACA that is fair to both sides is attainable and that is why I ALSO AGREE DACA shouldn't be 'slipped' into a government funding bill that has now led to a government shutdown. I DO agree that democrats are to blame for this catastrophe.

#58 Realjad, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And no matter how you feel about doing so, that is the case. Some might feel like that is a fight that is worth shutting down the government and all of the issues that you can cause by doing so and they should simply say that they feel that way. That they are happy to shut down the government till they get their way on this issue.

They shouldn't blame the shutdown on others when it's pretty clear that they are the ones who did it. When you take that kind of stance, you should own it.

Realjad likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the President first says he wants congress to come up with a compromise bill including DACA and then rejects it 48 hours before the shutdown, it's on him.

What you or I think though doesn't matter - it's what voters will think on Nov 6th. But I'm willing to wager that the propaganda BS of trying to pin this on Dems won't stick