1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ellen vs Mutts & Moms Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

No thread yet?

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=6e982e8c-4080-4044-b941-cec226782721&sid=fd-news

Ellen's Rescue Agency: No Doggone Return Policy

Rules are rules.

So says the rescue agency that Ellen DeGeneres adopted a puppy from, only to have it confiscated after she and partner Portia de Rossi handed it over to a pooch-less family.

A spokesman for Mutts and Moms, the Pasadena-based organization that has been the target of death and arson threats and calls for a boycott since DeGeneres' emotional retelling of the doggy dilemma on her talk show Tuesday, said that his client has no plans to return the four-month-old Brussels Griffon terrier mix to DeGeneres' hairdresser and her two young daughters.

Owner Marina Batkis "is not going to give them the dog," said attorney Keith A. Fink, who's not representing the shelter but is speaking on Batkis and co-owner Vanessa Chekroun's behalf. The women run the nonprofit Mutts and Moms out of their store Paws Boutique.

"[Batkis] doesn't think this is the type of family that should have the dog," Fink told the Associated Press. "She is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world…They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."

The attorney explained that Mutts and Moms has a policy of not allowing families with children younger than 14 to adopt small dogs. The stylist's kids are 11 and 12.

Although DeGeneres said on TV that she was the one who erred by signing an agreement that prohibited her from sending the dog—christened Iggy—to another home without first notifying Mutts and Moms, Fink said that de Rossi was the one who signed the form.

DeGeneres' publicist, Kelly Bush, confirmed that account.

"She was wrong by not reading the agreement," Bush told the AP. "She thought she was doing a good thing. She's notorious for rescuing animals and finding them good homes. She found the dog a wonderful, wonderful home."

DeGeneres said that she and de Rossi had spent $3,000 to neuter and train Iggy to get along with cats, the latter taking place at the Los Angeles pet store UrbanTails.

Nevertheless, Mutts and Moms removed Iggy from the hairstylist's house on Sunday evening after learning that the pup had changed hands without permission.

"It's very upsetting to hear that someone is getting those kind of calls," Bush said when asked about the threats of violence leveled at the rescue agency. "Ellen just wants the dog reunited with the family."

"I thought I did a good thing," a tearful DeGeneres said Tuesday during Ellen. "I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it…

"I feel totally responsible for it, and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family. It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

But apparently the kids are going to have to wait a few years if they want to do business with Mutts and Moms.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h9IeL8lx9lg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h9IeL8lx9lg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. tulexan

tulexan Member

I say let the family have the dog. If the age of the children is the only problem, I don't see anything wrong with them having it. 11 and 12 are far from newborns or toddlers.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I had a project in middle school where we had to shadow another student (obviously one not in our class) and write a paper on him/her. I flat out told the guy I selected about the assignment so I wouldn't sound queer asking him about his likes and dislikes. Anyways he says he loves Ellen Degeneres...this was before she came out of the closet. Looking back I think that guy was queer.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love ellen? that is a bit strong. I think she is actually pretty funny as a stand up, but thats as far as i go

but rules are rules. It sucks but the rule is there to prevent someone from giving the dog to a potential bad home. Of course, there should be exceptions but as a general guidline it makes sense

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree.

6. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Maybe I missed something... How the hell did this Mutts & Moms find out about the dog going to the family?

WTF happens if someone (or some couple) adopts a dog, and then gets pregnant (or adopts, for that matter) and has a kid? Do they come repo the dog after it's been in that home for a year?!?!?

Screw that doggy-repo BS. Let the family get the dog back.

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

they called to check in and ellen told them she gave it away.

Dont know about your 1 year later scenario. I also heard that they have a policy not to give to to people with kids under the age of 14...not sure if thats true though

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Is that agreement really legally binding?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Seems a bit harsh, rules are not rules in situations like this they should factor in all things before rendering a decision, some of these animal rights activists are a bit much.

DD

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Tell me about it, like 4 million dogs are being killed every year because they aren't getting adopted and these people want to make it harder for people to adopt. Ellen should have just gone to the local SPCA instead of some trendy doggy salon.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The Humane Society has put their two cents worth in over the situation. They criticized Mutts and Moms for removing Iggy from her new home. “I doubt very much that we would’ve taken the dog away,” the Pasadena Humane Society stated.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=25481&cat=2

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well it is quite apparent that Mutts and Moms are homophobes.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sounds like it...Ellen signed a contract that stated she must notify the company if she was going to give it away. And I guess they would have denied it even if she did tell them since they have kids under 14.

Rules are rules but this company is done for. You know how they say any publicity is good publicity? Not in this case.

14. updawg

updawg Member

Exactly. A lot of adoption places, rescues, breeders have these stipulations. I think this mutts and moms place not having flexibility is more for publicity reasons or something

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Except they sold it to a lesbian and only took it back when it was it was given to a mother with 2 kids. If anything, they're heterophobic.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Mutts & Moms hate America! Death to the infidels!

17. Astro101

Astro101 Member

GIVE THE DOG BACK!

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well yea - I just wanted to work the word "homophobe" into a sentence..happy, pappy? :(

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and when you got money and fame
    You can make yourself the exception

They have a policy
    and I am happy they sticking by their guns

If you gonna be a prick . .be a prick to everyone
    not just those who don't have the money and prestige to make a stink about it

Rocket River
    I just don't care for rich folx throwing they weight around like this .. .
    I mean . . they should have handled this behind closed doors
    Why drag these folx through the mudd on you Nationwide show???
    BECAUSE YOU CAN AND YOU CAN FORCE THEM TO BEND TO YOUR WILL

Death Threats??? Someone needs to get a life

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

her being famous is irrelevent to anything i said. Regardless if it was ellen of the bulldyke across the street, if the dog goes to a legit, caring and good family it should inevitable end up there. perhaps they "take" the dog back, and then the family that ended up the puppy would fill out paper work. It's common sensical. I dont know why the rich and famous have anything to do with that simple concept.