1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Economy Sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jonjon, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

A lot of good, talented, and tenured people are getting laid off at my "government funded" job today.

I was fortunate to keep my job, and I'm thankful, but some of my co-workers and close acquaintances aren't.

Sad day. A lot of good people and quality workers added to the pool of the unemployed.

Get it together elected officials, because if this is their idea of fixing the economy... Then I'd rather them leave it broken.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am sorry that you witnessed your coworkers being laid off, but I am curious to learn more about your industry.

3. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Ironically... Workforce Development

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

So you... work for a hiring agency? I've never heard of workforce development.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The way I see it, if they fired the lot of you and gave me a refund on my taxes, I wouldn't be broke and perhaps somebody else would have a job providing a service I actually demand.

6. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Because taxes are why you're broke?

OP, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish the best to them on their journeys.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Whether or not I'm broke is irrelevant. The point still stands. If I wasn't taxed to support this service, somebody else might have a job doing something I demand, and both of us would be better off.

8. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

While those working in the job that was lost and those that needed the service that they offered are left in the cold.

Sound logic.

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

You are wrong.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's no link to there being a service that you don't demand (today....) - and that capital being redeployed to something you would demand. It's basically pure chance, no different than you playing scratch-off lotto tickets -sure, if you bought some, you might win, and be better off. Who cares?

It's not, of course, that your one-man demands are even relevant to the disucssion at all. Obviously if you want to live in a stateless place where you don't have to sacrifice for the greater good, dont' have to buy insurnance, etc there are options out there for you.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Obviously! :rollseyes:

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oObPhHPvlwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WD is a place where people who can't get a job on their own go and have someone do it for them?

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Here is the problem I have with this line of thinking.

First I am of the opinion that our government is corrupt and exceedingly inefficient. You may or may not agree. Either way I don't like the idea of giving more money to any entity that has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be wasteful and ineffective.

So we have two sides of an argument.

Tax more people for more money to support proven waste and corruption and eventually fail.
    or
    Maintain or decrease the current taxation and force the corrupt entity to change it's behavior or eventually fail.

Change or fail, we can't go on arguing about right/left, conservative/liberal, it's broken and our children are going to pay the price for our shortsightedness and petty differences.

15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

False dichotomy.

16. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

In it's most textbook and simplest form.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually we don't even have an argument, we have a thoroughly unsupported blanket bit of conjecture on your part, with no attempt made to test its relevance or even translate it to the matter at hand, hence providing another "side" of an argument. My suspicion is that this bit of conjecture is thus designed to support a prepackaged conclusion on your part, lending me to believe that, in fact, further discussion of this point would be "proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be wasteful and ineffective"

Nonetheless, let's soldier on to paragraph dois, homen.

And my suspicions are confirmed. I have no idea what this hypothetical corrupt entity is - but I do know that there are many ways (in fact the primary way) to rid it of corruption, which generally entails law & regulation of some sort. Tax revenue is not relevant to this discussion.

1 person likes this.
  18. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Hate to say it, but...

Str8 Up.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this only the beginning....state n local govt's haven't even started defaulting yet

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Ah, so money is not the root of all evil.

Since typing flowery condescending posts fluffs up your skirt and makes you feel intelligent, I doubt you will like the idea of an actual answer to a question. I'm going to ask anyway, would you mind answering the following questions yes or no?

Do you think that our government is corrupt?

Do you think that our government is efficient?

I ask because our government has been writing laws and regulating itself for 200+ years now and your answer to the above two questions might shed some light on how you feel they are getting along.

My answer to both questions is yes.