1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Dwindling Rebounding of Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

I don't get it, rookie year he averaged 4.9 sophmore year went 5.0 and this year he's at 5.5 Rebs per game.

His scoring is just way up, and that's what we needed this season players to step up second behind LBJ in 4th quarter scoring.

So I think at 6-9, he's doing good.

I'm not dissapointed in any part of landrys game this year.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

gang rebounding will do that to you.

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

you would think landry would be a threat to get 10+ boards a night given his bulldog playing style but i dont think he's good at positioning himself to box out.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What the graph shows is that, on average, a power forward will grab 6 defensive rebounds every 36 minutes this season. For the last month and a half, Landry has gotten between 3 and 4 defensive rebounds on average every 36 minutes played.

That's a huge difference. He should be better than that.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

David Andersen doesn't box out well.

Carl Landry often plays with David Andersen.

6. durvasa

Interesting theory. I'll look into it.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

You ignored the other posters who pointed out:

1) Yao Ming is gone

2) The defense isn't what it used to be

3) Battriza gets more rebs than McShane.

Of course the first two points are corelated, but Yao Ming made rebounding easier for Scolandry most of the time because the opponent had to double team him. Also with him gone the defense has suffered, and there's less defensive rebs overall since the other team is making the shots which they used to make before. Also Ariza gets more rebs than Tmac did, so you factor that in as well.

Does this excuse Landry's poor rebounding? No, but then again maybe it just means Landry was poor rebounder to begin with, and the Yao factor boosted his stats before. If you examine Landry he isn't a rebounding type at all-he has short arms, he doesn't have a big butt and his hands aren't that big. Good rebounders are generally also good defenders, and I don't don't think anyone will accuse landry of being a defensive stopper.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Part of the problem may be that Landry has well below average reach and wingspan for his position. Believe it or not, according to DraftExpress' sample size, the undersized Brooks is closer to the average PG in terms of length/wingspan than Landry is to the average PF.

Here are the average measurements by position: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=avepos&year=All

For PFs, the average wingspan is 7'0.7" and the average standing reach is 8'10.5" out of a sample size of 235 players.

Landry's wingspan was measured at 6'11" and his standing reach came in at 8'6.5" (extremely below the average; compare his reach to other players of similar height): http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre...age=&year=2007&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Landry does compensate for his lack of length to some extent with his strength and leaping ability but his short arms still may be part of the problem.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The more I think about it, I can't really blame it all on Andersen. If Landry's rebounding has been declining since earlier in the season the problem lies in something that has changed over the course of the season.

Well, we're losing. Why are we losing? Teams have scouted us. What have they found? Our team lacks a big shot blocker. So, they recklessly attack the paint and Landry (being our most athletic big) comes over to help leaving him out of position for the defensive board.

10. durvasa

Those excuses would hold more water if Scola's defensive rebounding also dipped.

11. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

I get the graph bro, and yeah it is a difference there, but like i said we need him to score for us we have scola,and chuck for the glass.
    :)

12. durvasa

There's no reason why he can't score and be a more productive presence on the defensive glass.

13. choujie

choujie Member

I'd prefer Landry to start if he rebounds as well as Scola.

14. worzel gummidge

Boxing out is overrated. If anything a teammate who rebounds poorly means more rebounds to be had.

15. choujie

choujie Member

I believe it's underrated. With good boxing out, more rebounds to be had by your teammates. Without boxing out, more robounds to be had by opponents.

1 person likes this.
  16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Exactly... by the other team. The ball doesn't just stay in the air for someone to grab, it travels at angles that Landry might not be able to reach, but had he or his teammates boxed out the opposing team's players near it, hopefully it will be into a Rockets' player direction or area. When you don't box out, you let it be a race of pure athleticism and no one on this team has enough talent or the skills to constantly win that match.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

When Landry really first came on the scene with hustle plays, even the boards he did get it seemed he REALLY had to over-extend himself to grab the ball up high from other players. It was literally a FIGHT for him to snag the board. Often he'd go high and fall hard right to the floor as he came down, looking like its Larry Fitzgerald skying high over defenders on a TD grab and trying to get his feet in bounds, just for a routine rebound.

Shorter reach hurts his rebounding, but he could still possibly be better at it.