1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dwight Meeting. Rumors, Tweets and Updates.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delta69er

delta69er Member

You do realize Lakers fans on those forums Have as much say in team Transactions as we do here on cf right?

2. treeman

treeman Member

What if GSW's "crap" is David Lee, and we take him because Howard is set on going to GSW? Just a hypothetical. Seems we'd get Lee (instead of Howard) and still have flexibility to make a play for another max player.

I dunno, who knows how "well" the meet with GSW went. Seems like they're all going "well". Hard to know what to believe now.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Assuming they amnesty Metta, Barnes/Bogut will cost them about $35m and Howard will cost them about $50m, one of those is worth it (any additional players will then add $3.50 for every dollar and they'd have a 10 or 9 man roster).

If Dwight leaves however, I'll take bets that the Lakers won't pay the luxury tax this upcoming season.

1 person likes this.
  4. PinkEwe

PinkEwe New Member

I should have posted this here to begin with, but if it pops up as a separate thread, oh well. Warriors might be in play here, there's a way that they can trade with LA and get LA under the tax line.

It is a longshot, but the Warriors are in this too.

Warriors send out: Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Rush, Andris Biedrins, 2014 1st + 2016 1st
    Warriors receive: Dwight Howard, Steve Nash

Lakers send out: Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, roughly 30m
    Lakers receieve: A 14m TE from Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Rush, Andris Biedrins, 2014 1st + 2016 1st

Lakers would likely be able to send Bogut to a 3rd team for a massive trade exception, with many teams having capspace and one team - Orlando - having a giant TE themselves.

They could them amnesty Metta World Peace... and be actually under the tax threshold!

5. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Which led me to believe he's a fraud

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I'm not saying it's likely, guys. Calm down. LOL!

I am just saying that GSW held the meeting due to possibilities. I'm just saying no one here is considering the fact that GSW could involve some team out there. Morey has been more than willing to facilitate trades in the past. Whether some of them went down or not, it has been recorded.

It doesn't have to be a home run for the third team. It could be something very simple. GSW has A LOT of exp. contracts and I am sure there are people willing to take on Gasol.

I'm not promoting it or saying GSW has an advantage over us. But, there are a million and one possibilities floating around that we have yet to consider.

I believe (have since last year's trade deadline -- I can even bring up my post) that we will end up with Lin/Harden/Parsons/J. Smith/Dwight as our starting five 2014. So, relax, m'fos. ;)

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've long thought that the only teams Dwight would consider are the Rockets, Warriors, and Lakers.

The thing is, if he's considering the Rockets and Warriors seriously, that means he's thinking on a mostly basketball level. If he's thinking on a mostly basketball level, the Lakers should be out of the equation.

If he's thinking about the Rockets and the Warrior, we have the advantage.

A.) We can sign him outright. Him going to the Warriors involves AT LEAST three parties working things out (Dwight, Lakers, and Warriors). If he wants to come here, it's as simple as signing on the dotted line. We don't have to give up anyone to sign him.

B.) History. Championships. Big Men. Dwight can get even better here. He can learn here. He most assuredly can grow here, while winning.

C.) Marketing. We have the tenth largest market in the NBA (and growing). I'm not sure what Golden State's is. It might be higher than ours, but I doubt by much. Now, throw in all of China.

D.) Fans. We've got the best fans in the NBA. Yeah, they might ride you a bit, but come here and win a championship, and you'll be a God.

E.) Assets. This team could still make a move for another all-star player. If you think Morey doesn't have something in mind, you don't know Morey.

I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful.

1 person likes this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

So Howard is going to join a team that will be without Bogut, Barnes/Klay, Lee and possibly Jack and Landry while taking less money and still paying the Cali income tax? I don't see it but anything is possible.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Warriors feel they had excellent meeting with Howard. Rockets feel equally excited at prospects of signing him. Lakers' competition is stiff</p>&mdash; Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/statuses/351917100878671873">July 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

[​IMG]

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I realize that, but there are a lot of supposed insiders tweeting the same scenarios. I'm not saying that's what the lakers are asking for but if its any where close to that it helps us out. It really just amazes me how much a fan base can fool themselves into thinking they can just pick up whoever they want. I've seen some pretty preposterous trade scenarios on our boards but jeez they make cf trades look smart.

12. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Dwight had FUN for awhile in Orlando.

Playing in The Finals... as a youngster. Best players besides himself were Hedo and Rashard.

Harden and Parsons trump that. I think that is what gets him to sign.

Best opportunity to win NOW, win in the FUTURE, all while having FUN.

Perfect fit and match. Done deal. Book it. Signed, sealed and delivered.

:grin:

13. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Lakers thinking: Hmmm. S&T with warriors + tax hell or $20mil+ in cap relief. Cap relief every time.

14. PinkEwe

PinkEwe New Member

There are ways to get around the cap hell. When my other post shows up, I outlined an idea that can allow the Lakers to sneak back under the tax, while keeping the bird rights on Kobe, Pau, and *ahem* Brandon Rush (bit of a talent dive right there) and have 50m in capspace going into a loaded free agent class.

The Warriors are a threat... not a major one, but I wouldn't count them out. And I'm not just saying that because I'm currently in California ;)

15. iMissTX

iMissTX Member

Hey guys, I know I don't post here often, I think this might be my 2nd post, if not first. I've been browsing around here for a while now though. Last time I checked this thread, was about 8 hrs ago. I don't feel like going through all the pages. Can someone please update me?

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If Dwight goes to some goober team like Golden State or Dallas I'll be even more upset than if he stays in LA.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If i'm Lakers, i take the best young cheap package i can get. Thompson and picks is way better then nothing, have GSW clear cap space to a 3'rd team. I can't imagine there being no takers for Bogut or Lee.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Sure thing!

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

On a PR scale of 1-10 where 1 is what the hell am I doing, and 10 is wow, you're like MJ, where would you rate holding the lakers hostage for a s&t would rate?

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Vecsey really putting out some breaking news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.