1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think some of you guys are being a little too sensitive. The author isn't putting this on McGrady or making him out to be a jerk, it's just a human interest story about what happened to the "other guy." I thought it was a good read.

It would be pretty cool to see some video of that dunk though.

2. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I don't think that was the point.

It's a sad story and T-mac is used because they were two kids at the same age trying to do the same thing. One succeeded, one didn't. It creates a narrative that is engaging.

No where did the author say Tmac killed this guy. I said that.

Tracy McGrady is a murderer. ;)

3. MayoRocket

Apparently this dunk does not exist on video (meaning, I couldn't find it on Youtube).

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

David Stern had it deleted.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Jesus Christ, some of you guys will b*tch about anything. It's a literary tool - the author is just trying to dramatize the story by contrasting the two life paths. He's not insinuating McGrady killed the guy. My God, get a grip.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

DUH!

It wasn't a sincere cause/effect he was writing about.

7. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Would it be too sensitive if you had a problem with expressing your pain.. and rather than talk to you about it, someone just kicked you out the door, and hypothetically, your brain absorbed all the hurt from that and you didn't know how else to react but drink?

Yea, we're being real insensitive, or maybe everyone is being too self-absorbed and is naive to the chance that hey.. maybe other people DON'T think and function like me.... wowowwwwwww.. what a thought.

8. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Whopps.. meant to hit reply to this post..

Sorry i come off belligerent, i need to work on that.

9. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Fatality.
    ---
    Did one dunk really pull Felton off the map and ruined his chances of being in the NBA? So if you get dunked on, noone wants to draft you? Tough stuff.

10. Breaker

Breaker Member

Did someone say Fatality?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbtD_y_X3SU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbtD_y_X3SU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well you can argue tmac was a nobody then. i mean he wasn't even a top 500 player in high school.

it's like the worst player in the NBA dunking on an all-star. you get a little bit embarrassed i might say.

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

If you drank the night before your breath and sweat give you away. I don't mean having a few beers but when you get smashed on hard liquor like an alcholic its pretty easy to tell.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

High School rankings on players are not even accurate so he shouldn't have been embarrassed if that was his reasoning.

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

But there is no pressure on us untalented sad sacks to succeed. The guy came from a broken home and a sick mother. It wasn't just a job it was his whole indentity. Even the coach that reached out and tried to help him onl helped him because of his potential. He was weak, but you have to account for the fact that the poor kid had a stunted development and never reached that point of insight.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He should have blocked the shot if he didn't want to die of sadness.

Sometimes you just have to make the plays. You know what I mean?

A r****ded story by a ridiculous writer. Weak human interest piece that ironically isn't interesting to humans.

This is more fit for "The View" than it is for a basketball forum...

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For a guy who doesn't dunk much anymore Tmac's dunks are become Chuck Norris-like.

One guy dunked into retirement and another dunked to death.

Tmac's vein = Chuck Norris' beard

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm glad Yao doesn't think like that dude or he would be the world's biggest alcoholic (literally).

But seriously, there are guys like this in every city. It takes more than God-given talent to make it in professional sports. Granted, you need the right body type to even get in the game in most cases, but we often overlook just how hard these players work (physically and mentally) to get to the next level.

Sad story but one of many....

18. MayoRocket

:confused: Are we talking about the same thing? I thought McGrady fans making the article out to be some sort of piece putting TMac in a negative light were being too sensitive.

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

GROUND BEEF!

20. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady Interview about dunk on Shawn Bradley
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL9IJzzWrMw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL9IJzzWrMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Derek Fisher dunks over Shawn Bradley
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D8clu0BTJM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D8clu0BTJM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>