1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Draft Pick Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

To jayhow: I said can you imagine, meaning what IF! READ!
    To cod: shortsighted and wrong. Who said the 3 for 1 straight up, I said it would be nice to flip them for one high pick so you can have a 3-team trade, pack Lowry with 2 picks or whatever for a high one. It's not that uncommon.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I still don't see it. With Motiejunas coming over, and with Marcus Morris essentially getting a do-over of his rookie year (with his first summer league, offseason practice sessions and full training camp), I don't think the Rockets want too many other rookies.

Either they package picks/players to move up for one good pick, or they otherwise maneuver to improve the roster (without adding multiple 2012 first round picks).

In all fairness, I could see the Rockets picking up a second rounder if (like with Taylor, Bud and Parsons) a guy they have graded as a first rounder falls. But I don't see them making moves to add more mid-to late first rounders.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Right now

NYK Pick: 15th, would be 13th if NYK out of playoffs
    HOU Pick: 19th
    DAL Pick: 17th

Rockets would have 1 pick, the 15th if season ended now.

4. Carl Herrera

Bima, the Rockets have not used their 3 million dollar cash allowance for the year, right? Is it basically use it or lose it by July 1st?

5. Rivers

Rivers Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OENjFykO8iU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Carl Herrera

Sorry for the lack of updates. Anyhow, as of right now:

NYK Pick: 15th or 16th (NYK tied with Philly), belongs to Houston, NYK 2.5 games ahead of 9th place MIL.

HOU Pick: 17th or 18th (HOU tied with DEN), belongs to NJN. HOU 1.5 games ahead of 9th place Phoenix.

DAL Pick: 19thnd. Dallas currently .5 game behind the fading Orlando for 11th best record in the league, 1 game behind Boston for 10th best record, and 1.5 games behind MEM and ATL.

Seems NYK is a lock for playoffs. HOU is sort of in doubt. Dallas pick might fall into 21st-30th, but they have a tough schedule.

Seems the team will have at least 1 mid-first rounder from NY. May have 2 or even 3.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Might end up with one pick. Better make the best of it.

8. today

today Contributing Member

If DAL's last game of the year against ATL determines the 10th spot, I just know that Cuban will force the coach to pull the starters at halftime so that they lose the game and get to keep their draft pick. I really hope they have some playoff-related incentive to win that game...

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The only thing i can think of is not wanting to play a certain team in the 1st round. I think they want to avoid OKC, but i am not sure.

10. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

NYK Pick - (Top 5 protected)
    -14th in league standings
    -Belongs to HOU (17th pick)

HOU Pick - (Top 14 protected)
    -17th in league standings
    -Belongs to HOU (14th pick)

Dallas pick - (Top 20 protected)
    -13th in league standings
    -Belongs to DAL (18th pick)

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It would be nice to trade up but even if that doesn't work, we are doubling our odds of getting a keeper at 14 and 17.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fixed that for ya :grin:

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

lol..true...but double none the less...

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With a couple more of those role players, we could be contending. Look at who we missed out on last year. Faried, Shumpert, Brooks, Leonard, Vucevic.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lord knows you can't have enough role players!

1 person likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A young defensive 7 footer and a young pure shooting SG will do this team wonders.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Losing out is better in the short-term and long-term. We might actually move up for once.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Who knows, maybe we will get a top five pick out of luck. It happens.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Trade both picks and any two players to move up. Some team has to take that deal.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You can only get a top 3 pick out of "luck" since those are the only picks that are randomly drawn... but the weighting is such that it's extreeeeeemly unlikely the Rockets would get in there at a 13 or 14 position.