1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Draft Pick Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'd rather have the future than the 21st overall pick. Unprotected in 2018, don't mind rooting against Dallas from now til then.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The Wizards Lost Tonight - That Sucks

Who the hell cares about the Wizards? Well I did tonight. You see Indiana is ahead of Dallas in the standings and I wanted the Wizards to beat them. I also want the 76ers, Clippers, Atlanta, Boston and Grizzlies to lose because I want Dallas' pick this year.

On the other hand I want Milwaukee to go undefeated here on out and of course I want the Knicks to lose every game. As for my Rockets I am still on the fence. Yes I know I will get flamed for this but I am on the fence about wanting to make the playoffs or keep our lottery pick. Clearly if we don't I will be excited to have our lotto pick but if Lowry and Martin can comeback healthy there is a part of me that wants to see how they mix in with an improved Dragic and Parsons and the addition of Camby. That team might do some damage.

I am not at the point where I root for our Rockets to lose. I could never do that for more than a couple of insignificant games in the last week of the season. I love watching players like Parsons and Dragic play well. And to see them do it in the playoffs would be exciting. Still if I am being completely honest there are nights when I am not upset that Utah Phoenix and Denver won. And if we do not make the playoffs I will not be entirely upset.

So tonight I root for Dallas over Miami. And tomorrow night I root for Milwaukee and against the 76ers, Clippers, Atlanta, Boston and Grizzlies. Oh wait the Hawks are playing the Knicks. Go Hawks!

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I really don't get it.

Why are there so many people on this board who want a 21st or 22nd pick so badly that they will root for DALLAS to do well, especially considering we're not suffering from a shortage of young role players which is what you will probably get from that pick?

I mean, seriously?

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because this will be a very good draft full of good players.

5. VBG

VBG Member

Really? A lotta role players sure. Rockets have shown capable to get role players later on as well.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For me, I want them to be #19 until 2018.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

Pretty much sums it up. Marcus Morris still hasn't gotten minutes, and we have Motiejunas coming in. What use would a late 1st be with the inclusion of possibly two other picks this year? I would much prefer we make the playoffs and get rid of our obligation to New Jersey. That way, we can use a pick toward a trade or, I don't know, actually have a draft pick next year. As far as the Mavs pick goes, it seems many here are accustomed to the highest form of instant gratification. At the very least, a first round pick is better than a
    bench warmer, just as the 14th pick would likely carry more weight than Morris. If we don't get the pick this year, it is still an asset. Honestly, who wouldn't want an unprotected pick down the line? It's in our best interest to root against Dallas as we are in direct competition with them. We have a very young team and a lottery pick who still hasn't seen the floor. With Motiejunas coming in next year, do you honestly think we have space to play three more rookies? I would much rather use that money to re sign Lee and Dragic. Call me crazy, but I think that is bigger priority to say the least.

2 people like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This year will be our best chance to get a big man or another pure scorer with the Dallas pick. With players like Festus Ezeli, Fab Melo or John Jenkins going currently in the early second rounds, that pick would still be a good one.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Update after 3/29 games

NYK Pick
    -15th
    -belongs to HOU
    -NYK 8th in the East, 14th overall record

HOU Pick
    -16th or 17th
    -belongs to NJN
    -HOU 8th in the West

Dallas Pick
    -18th
    -belongs to Dallas
    -Dallas 6th in the West

If playoffs started now, the Rockets would have 1 pick in the draft, the 15th overall.

1 person likes this.
  10. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Looking ahead at the schedules of those 3 teams, I predict we end up with 2 draft picks, with the Mavs holding onto theirs. Dallas has a pretty tough schedule to close out the season and will likely remain lower than 10th place. Good news is that New York only has 4 easy games so there is still a very solid chance they could end up in the lottery, same with Houston.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

No offense and yes that is it.

Simplistically what I was attempting to convey was that we can use or trade the pick (flat out trade or just trade up) if we are in the lottery. Whether it's in principal or consummated - it's traded. And we could repeat that process each year we are in the lottery. What we can't do is trade our future #1 (not known) pick any sooner until we fullfill the NJ obligation.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay, glad to see we're speaking the same language now. :grin:

I think you might be overestimating the Rockets' ability and/or willingness to agree in principle to a trade so far in advance of when it can be consummated.

I doubt a guy like Daryl Morey agrees to trade a bunch of players and picks for a star player months in advance, when that one guy could get hit by a bus at any time during that (long) duration between agreement and consummation.

Conversely, I doubt any team trades anything of real value that far in advance, especially when they could have so much time to use the Rockets as leverage for a better offer.

While I agree with you in theory, I highly doubt that theory ever remotely approaches reality.

1 person likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After 3/30 games:

NYK Pick
    -15th
    -Belongs to Houston
    -NYK has 14th worst record

HOU Pick
    -16th or 17th
    -Belongs to NJN
    - Houston in 7th Place in the West

Dallas Pick
    -20th
    -Belongs to Dallas
    -Dallas in 5th Place in the West

If the season ended tonight, the Rockets would have 1 pick, the 15th overall.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

After tonight's game Dallas could go on a nice little win streak right before they play us for the last time. That should ensure that we get at least two picks.;)

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't bet on it.... but I think the NY pick is 95% ours if nothing else happens....
    Need to make sure it is a bit higher.....

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We'll finish in 6th and play the Lakers in a grueling 6-game series. Dragic plays huge, Parsons plays huge and Lee hits one game winner in the corner at home.

17. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Why wouldn't the NY pick be 100% ours?

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

It is protected. If ny gets in the lottery there is still a small chance of them getting top 3 (very small chance).

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe I should have put 99,8% ours.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We'll finish 8th and play OKC to an easier than expected 4-2 series win. It will be the playoffs shocker story.