1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Draft Pick Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think we should look into a trade with our favorite trading partners, the Sacramento Kings. Isiah Thomas has been a nice surprise but they are in desperate need of a real pg and Tyreke Evans isn't that guy. A package of Lowry and picks could get us in the top 5 or 6 to snatch up a player with a lot of upside like Drummond.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

lets trade scola and martin for more first round picks this year and then we can have a 2012 first round draft class to match our 09 class :D

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I keep seeing posts about packaging our 3 picks and moving up. I don't see how we can do that if New Jersey has rights to the pick. Can we trade the pick if it is in the lottery and it is our pick? I am really thinking we cannot trade this pick.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm down. BTW, we didn't draft any of those 09 lottery players. None.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We can trade our lottery pick. In fact we can trade our 2013 lottery pick once we know we are in the lottery - at the point that it's known that we are in the lottery (of course trade deadline will have expired by then but will open back up just before the draft).

What we can't do is trade any of our own future unknown #1 picks until we satisify our obligation to NJ.

6. wadero

wadero Member

If our pick is 13 or under we keep the pick.

Houston's own 2012 1st round pick to New Jersey (top 14 protected in 2012, top 14 protected in 2013, top 14 protected in 2014, top 14 protected in 2015 and top 14 protected in the 2016 Draft). If New Jersey does not receive a 1st round pick from Houston by the 2016 Draft, then Houston will convey their own 2017 2nd round pick and cash to New Jersey

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#ixzz1qQEGRlyk

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ correct but sb: If our pick is 14 or under we keep the pick.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

All your pick are belong to us.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We may need to keep all 3 picks in order to have a full roster with GOOD players next season instead of patching the team with D-leagers.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is great...
    If we make the playoffs : AWESOME
    If we miss the playoffs : AWESOME

Having the 14, 15 and 21 would make the draft WAY tooooo much fun...

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Injuries hit us, we made midseason trades clearing rosterspace, we cut a nuisance in TWill?

Who else do we fill rosterspots with?

Think of the consequences of keeping our pick and getting Dallas':
    We still owe a pick to NJ and all we get is a mediocre mid first
    Instead of an asset in a pick from Dallas, all we get is a crappy late first

Both of those picks could easily end up seeing time in the D-League (not that it is a bad thing).

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

As long as they have another first round pick in 2012, I think you're right -- they can trade it. If not (meaning Dallas isn't in the top 10 teams and NYK somehow gets in the top 5 of draft), then unless I am mistaken, even if the Rockets know they are in the lottery, they can't trade their 2012 draft pick until the selection is made because they wouldn't have a 2012 first rounder and aren't guaranteed a 2013 pick (they would owe the same lottery-protected pick to NJ in 2013).

They can trade a future first round pick, but it has to contain a clause that says "two years after they convey the pick to NJ." So if the debt to the Nets rolls to 2013, the earliest a team could receive a pick from Houston would be 2015.

14 or under. See pugsly8422's breakdown from a couple weeks ago:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=216915

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Correct. I was just (poorly) trying to explain that we have to take/trade our own picks as they become known. We can't trade our 2012+ pick until we know what the pick is. If it's a lottery pick, then we can keep it or trade it. If it's not, we have to give it to NJ. Until we know what the pick is, we can't trade our own pick until we fulfill our NJ obligation. We theoretically could keep our #1 picks if we stayed in the lottery - but we can't make trades post draft day to include our own future #1.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not exactly. Assuming that the Rockets miss the playoffs this year, even if the Rockets somehow were mathematically eliminated from the 2013 playoffs before the February 2013 trade deadline, they absolutely COULD NOT trade their 2013 or 2014 picks due to the Stepien Rule (unless they somehow obtained another team's UNPROTECTED 2013 or 2014 first round pick). If the Rockets traded away either pick, they would not be guaranteed a first round pick in either year.

Using your example, the Rockets would be trading away a (mathematically-clinched) 2013 lottery pick, so they'd be without a guaranteed 2013 first round pick. (Even if the NYK or DAL pick obligations carry over to 2013, there is no guarantee that the Rockets would actually receive them in either 2013 or 2014.)

Meanwhile, the Rockets would still owe New Jersey a lottery-protected first round pick in 2014 (or 2015 or 2016). Hence, no guaranteed pick in 2014, either.

No guaranteed 2013 pick. No guaranteed 2014 pick. No ability to trade that 2013 pick.

Let's just hope the Rockets make the damn playoffs so we can avoid all this technical mumbo jumbo. ;)

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It depends. This draft is not deep at the top, but in the middle of the first round you have some serious talent.

I think it would be extremely interesting to see Morey with 3 first rounders...

Fire
    Reload
    Fire
    Reload
    Fire
    Reload

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

More like:

(A) Try to package picks to move up
    (B) Try to package picks to acquire a veteran star
    (C) Try to trade one or more picks for future first rounders (with protections set higher than the pick traded away)
    (D) Try to trade one or more picks for young-ish veterans
    (E) Try to trade one or more picks to move back into the second round
    (F) Try to trade one or more picks for multiple future second round picks
    (G) Get stuck with three mid- to late first round picks . . . CRAP!

Not-so-bold prediction: If the Rockets open training camp next season with Donatas Motiejunas, the #14 pick, the #15 pick and the #22 pick all in camp, the various factions of pro-[Rookie X] or anti-[Rookie Y] will be mind-boggling and Kevin McHale and Daryl Morey will be absolutely KILLED on this BBS for not playing guys or for sending multiple quality rookies down to the D-League.

It will not be pretty.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ending up with 3 Chandler Parsons or 3 Patrick Pattersons wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

True, but I'd rather make the playoffs this season and enjoy that time (however brief) rooting for my team than to have "not the worst thing in the world" happen. ;)

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bima,

Just so Im clear about your E,F & G scenarios , your implying that it would be better to move one or more of the picks back to the second round for salary cap implications and roster flexibitlity I assume?

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes. Maybe pick up a Euro stash pick or two. I'd like to get some future second rounders, since the Rockets will likely be without their own second round picks in 2012 (Chase Budinger trade) and 2013 (David Andersen trade).

Perhaps if the Rockets are unable to trade up and cannot get future first round picks from anyone, it wouldn't be so bad for the Rockets to essentially do what the Timberwolves did with their #20 pick in 2011. They "walked it back" via several trades, picking up wads of cash, future second round picks, and eventually settling on taking Malcolm Lee at #43.

It's certainly not my top preferred strategy, but I think it beats having a fourth rookie first round pick on this roster (or whatever's left of it next year).