1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Derrick Rose RUle

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mcgrady33090, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Durant

Westbrook is close
    Griffin likely will
    Cousins possibly since limited competition in All-NBA for centers.

That's just 5 in the last 4 drafts. Sounds about right.

Remember, this doesn't mean they get a super max contract...just means they are eligible for one. They still have to negotiate it.

4. lalala902102001

I wonder who asked for this rule in the CBA -- can't be the owners.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why?? Why wouldn't an owner want a huge bidding war advantage over keeping a young superstar. Only about 1 player a year will qualify for this super-max. And only the current owner can use it. No other team can offer a max of 30% and (7.5% raises) to Rose / Griiffin / Westbrook, except for the team who drafted them. And SnTs aren't allowed the 30% either.

This is big for an owner who drafted a superstar. Both the players and the owners probably realized this is a win/win.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Had this rule been in effect under the old CBA, it is quite likely that Lebron would still be in Cleveland, instead of taking the short, three-year deal he took in 2007 so that he could be eligible for the 30% max in 2010. Same with Bosh in Toronto.

This rule avoids that problem for owners who might WANT to give the 30% max after a young superstar's rookie deal expires.

This rule actually is pretty great, as it benefits both the owners and the players. Not the biggest fan of the criteria, though.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Les Alexander would have actively campaigned against Chinese people voting for Yao as All Star in order to save a few bucks.

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I can't wait to see if Durant will ask for a raise, since his extension will be giving less than the new rule allows.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He can't ask for a raise, his contract is locked in. Those days are long gone.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I've read (I think on DailyThunder) that he can ask for an increase, since the extension hasn't started. Management could say no, since he has signed, but they can still raise it if they wanted to. I'll try to find where I read it. :/

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

OK, took me a while to find - was a conversation in the comments on DT. NYTimes supporting link

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

What's funny to me is that Rose is the one star player that would look at the name of such a rule, see his name at it and frown because he did not want that attention. He's a funny dude like that. Good dude yet funny.

There was a time last season after games that he would lug his backpack around and it made him look like more of a highschooler/college kid than Durant.

Like Benito said, I've read at least two articles from NBA writers stating Durant will be able to ask for the raise. I guess we'll see.