1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The David Carr "Well Wishes" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Mar 22, 2007.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

FWIW...

Report: Dolphins split on veteran QBs
    David Carr - QB - HOU - Mar. 26 - 12:21 pm et

A league source tells profootballtalk.com that the Dolphins are currently split on whether to sign David Carr or Trent Green.
    Cam Cameron has worked with Green before, but he'll require trade compensation and is 37 years old. Carr's first choice reportedly is Miami, so the Dolphins are dealing from a position of strength. Daunte Culpepper seems to be on his way out. Mar. 26 - 12:21 pm et

link

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Okay, sorry to drag this **** up again.

for the record.

i want to ****ing know.

i don't want to **** on David Carr's thread. He's been ****ted on enough. It's old news, i've turn the page on his suckyness.

If Vince Young went to the Raiders, or 49ers, or Cardinals, or Jets, or the Toronto Argos, or BC Lions, or Manchester United, Maccabi Tel Aviv, or Panathinkaikos, you know you would be a fan of that team. Admit it to yourself, and the rest of us.

It was just a convenience that he went to the Titans, who just happened to play in Houston.

It is a cop out for you people to say, hey i'm a Titans fan because I am a Houston Oilers fan back in the day. For those who say that, you can insert rolley eye guy here.

For those who say I am a Titans fan, because I just follow Vince Youngs ass anywhere he goes, I am fine with that, but don't sugar coat it by saying, oh i was an oilers fan back in the day.

i'm ranting on some dumb bull ****.

good luck with the Dolphins. And were gonna kick your ass David Carr. I know Dunta wants to sack you.

3. IROC it

A nice read... if you like the facts of it all...

------
    His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

And those impressive stats came under a heavy burden. How heavy? The man got sacked 41 times. Carr endured some of the worst punishment the AFC could mete out. The only quarterbacks in the AFC who got sacked more played for Oakland, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo—and it’s pretty safe to say that David Carr is a full order of magnitude better than those passers.

But it gets so much worse than that. Typically, a bruised and battered QB can hand the ball off to a reasonably competent running back and expect to share the burden. Not the case for Mr. Carr.

Last season, his top rushing teammate was Ron Dayne. Did Dayne get an impressive 1500 yards? Nope. Did he get a very solid 1200? Nope. How about 1000 yards, the traditional benchmark of a respectable season?

Not even close.

Ron Dayne managed a measly 612 yards in 2006, and barely eclipsed four per carry. That’s hardly the type of support that enables a quarterback to helm a winning team.

Think Reggie Bush may have come in handy?

Let's face it: With the exception of Andre Johnson, can anybody name a single talented man on the Texans' roster? Not likely.

The fact is that David Carr is one of the most talented and underrated players in the NFL. If his team failed, then it was because Houston’s leadership assembled a not-so-supporting cast of has-beens and never-weres.

The Texans lost one battle after another, and the leadership responded by beheading the lone general of worth. Smart.

Wherever Carr lands after this—and there will be many teams interested in his talents—the man will be better off. The Houston Texans are an organization so wretched that it’s hard to imagine enduring an entire five years with them.

Look for David Carr to revive his career somewhere—anywhere. Rest assured: He'll get the last laugh...and hopefully it'll be just as hard as the one bestowed upon us by this joke of an organization.

linkity link

--- and no I didn't write this... :D

4. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Yeah IROC it, this post is ridiculous. I find it convenient how this bleacherreport.com writer did not bother to mention that DW (artist formerly known as DD), was injured for last season, was our first option and that basically every year on the field for us he gained 1000 yds but, that would blatantly refute his theory on how idiotic the franchise here is.

Yes, we have work to do with the OL. Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Another point, they need to separate and compare the regimes if you will. Asserly and Crappers set a standard for futility and imbecility that will probably never be reached again while, Smitty and Kuby had a stalwart draft and are showing guts and grit at doing and trying anything and everything to try and turn around this teams fortunes.

Oh also, something I thought hilarious! This report is all about the RAIDERS! Is there a more arrogant bunch in all the land than the Raider organization and their fans even Cowboy fans are tame compared to these assholes! :rolleyes: BTW, what have they done the last 4 years? Oh yeah, nada! Their history 40+ years compared to 5 for the Texans. Truly this writer really took the time to research his topic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As Peter King said...yeah, he was pressured. But QB's are supposed to show you something sometime even if they're pressured. The fact that no one was willing to take a flier on this guy tells you a lot about his value, particularly relative to his own contract.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, I would still be a fan of Vince, but if he went to one of those teams and they played the Texans...I would root for the Texans.

I still like the Titans because they are the old Houston Oilers, and I feel got run out of town.

DD

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

:confused: you root against the Texans now b/c Vince is on the Titans. how is that any different than Vince being on any other team?

8. IROC it

Here's one more credible than bleacherreport... how about Sporting News via yahoo!Sports -bold and italics added by yours truly for emphasis...

-----

It's too early to call this Carr a lemon
    By Paul Attner - SportingNews

Paul Attner
    SportingNews.com

Sometimes, the quarterback selection process in the draft is easy. John Elway? Carson Palmer? No need to even analyze those guys. But most times, scouts deal with the scenario unfolding this year. They have to decide whether prospects such as JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn will be good enough as pros to warrant elite draft choices. And now they have David Carr as yet another reminder of how the growth of a franchise can be stalled if you miss on your evaluation.

But did the Texans really miss when they made Carr the first pick in the 2002 draft?

My answer to that question is no. The organization failed Carr by never surrounding him with an offensive line sturdy enough to give him the security he needed to develop and, eventually, flourish. Five years as a pro still have not been enough to tell us whether Carr can be a star.

Remember the circumstances he encountered as a rookie: He became an immediate starter for an expansion franchise -- a difficult task for a veteran, much less for a raw player. He immediately became the face of a team trying to formulate a presence in the Houston community. He immediately was expected to be good, even if that was unrealistic. No way he could be even average, not when he was sacked 76 times, a league record. And that pounding really never ceased. That sacks number now stands at a horrid 249; no starter has endured this kind of punishment in his first five NFL seasons.

The Texans had hoped to mold a line around Tony Boselli, one of the best left tackles of his generation. But Boselli, Houston's first choice in the 2002 expansion draft, never took a regular-season snap. Despite passing both league and team physicals before the draft, his knees and shoulder betrayed him and he eventually retired.

Houston never recovered from his loss, never found a left tackle to consistently protect Carr. Even with the accomplished Mike Sherman coaching the Texans' offensive line in 2006, Carr was sacked 41 times. He still completed 68.3 percent of his passes, a league high. Imagine what he might accomplish if those sacks could be limited to no more than 25.

"When you take a quarterback on an expansion team, you hope you can get good enough around him to let him develop, and we didn't get good enough in enough spots," says Charley Casserly, who, as the Texans' general manager until 2006, made the decision to pick Carr. "I thought he would be a good starting quarterback in this league, and I still do."

Carr is not talented enough to be a franchise quarterback. But coming out of college, he was good enough that, if put in the right situation and surrounded by quality personnel, he could take a team to the playoffs. And that would make him the equal of almost every one of the top quarterbacks in this league.

But now, after all the sacks and all the battering, he carries a large dose of the "unknowns" with him. Last year, even under the guiding hand of new head coach Gary Kubiak, a well-respected developer of quarterbacks, Carr still displayed an inconsistency and, occasionally, a nervousness under pressure that tells football folks he has been adversely affected by all the hits. No one questions his toughness. But even he can't know for sure whether such skittishness is permanent or curable. The Texans certainly didn't want to spend any more time with him. They worried about his ability to execute complex game plans, and they weren't sure he ever could provide the leadership they want from their quarterback. Carr is a family-oriented, incredibly decent man with strong faith. Yet his lack of fire was considered a negative -- too nice, perhaps? There's something else, too. This is an organization undergoing a catharsis and cutting ties with its past failures.

And by bringing in Matt Schaub, whose shaky three-year NFL resume consists of two starts, six touchdown passes and six interceptions, the Texans have done something -- anything -- to help ease the ongoing unhappiness in the Houston community and media with the franchise's failure to draft hometown hero Vince Young last year.

Carr is only 27. He still will make a handsome living as a NFL quarterback. His next team will relish his mobility and his good-guy character. It also will hope he becomes a Jim Plunkett or Vinny Testaverde; they both turned wrecked careers into late-blooming successes. That's something that would never have happened for him in Houston.

---
    nicer read... Not really placing blame, but looking at the facts again...

I had forgotten the whole Boselli debacle.

9. msn

msn Member

I get people arguing that Carr may have more--or much more--than he showed us in Houston due to the poor supporting staff. I don't buy it, but I see where they're coming from.

However, I'm getting tired of these guys running to the completion percentage--completely out of context--to prop up their argument.

Ryan Freaking Leaf could have completed those passes. Someone earlier in this thread put it well--Dave was great at turning 3rd-and-8's into 4th-and-4's.

I'm looking forward to 2008 for two reasons:
    --With another of building under their belts, what will the Texans show us offensively with Schaub at the helm and good O-line protection? How great will AJ be?
    --With a full year under his belt in another system with perhaps a better o-line, will David Carr prove us all wrong?

10. MadMax

yeah..it's hilarious the tone that's taken to support that position. like it's this AHA!!! moment.

"See!!! He completed X% of his passes!!! See!!! We told you the Texans are stupid and David Carr is a great QB waiting to happen!!! SEE!!! SEE???? SEEEEEEE????"

11. DaDakota

The point all these articles are missing is Carr's lack of leadership.

The guy is just not a leader, doesn't inspire his teamates to new heights.

He just doesn't have "it"

DD

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I hope Carr does well and I also hope the Texans whoop his tail everytime we play him

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

For whatever reason; lack of talent, lack of support, etc. etc., he wasn't going to get it done here. Time for a change of scenery somewhere.

If he does find success elsewhere, I think that is great for him. Seems like a good guy, tough, hard worker. Best wishes to him.

14. DaDakota

Anyone sign him yet?

DD

15. MadMax

he's visiting carolina this week...where he'd be a backup to jake delhomme.

and seattle, where he'd be a backup to hasselbeck

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

actually some rumors are coming out about his commitment to football. not that he's lazy, but apparently some feel he just doesn't put in the extra time to be great. who knows?

17. DaDakota

I thought that was discussed here in Houston as he apparently took the tapes home to study instead of doing it with the coaches at the practice facilities etc.

DD

18. IROC it

Carr pays Panthers a visit
    Carolina looking for backup, potential replacement at QB
    STAN OLSON
    solson@charlotteobserver.com
    THOMAS B. SHEA - US PRESSWIRE
    Free agent quarterback David Carr will spend two days in Charlotte visiting with the Carolina Panthers, according to a league source.

Free-agent quarterback David Carr arrived in Charlotte on Monday to begin a two-day visit with the Carolina Panthers, a league source confirmed. Carr was expected to spend Monday night and today with Panthers coaches and officials.

Carr, 27, is one of several players Carolina is interested in as a potential backup for starter Jake Delhomme. Since Delhomme will be 32 this season, Carr has the potential upside the Panthers are looking for as his successor.

(more at link)

Whoever signs with the Panthers will replace Chris Weinke, who was released recently.

---okay?