1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dallas Keuchel thread (what went wrong, how to fix it)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, May 23, 2016.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seen this in a few articles over the past couple years in articles talking about framing and other things regarding how heat maps/strike zones are being calculated with new data.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thank God we didn't sign him to an extension.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The real question is when do we give up on Keuchel's corner and turn it into Bregman's baseline or whatever.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we offered him a 5 year 50 million dollar deal do you think he will accept?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Better to be consistently inconsistent than inconsistently inconsistent! Batters have always gotten borderline calls in pitchers counts in my memory...and vice versa. I am completely for removing balls and strikes from umpires if they can do it quickly as even with improvements....the umps still have to big of a gray area that is a ball in an 0-2 count and a strike in a 3-0 count.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That and reflexively calling a ball when either the catcher is crossed up, or the pitcher severely misses his spot... when in fact the ball travels right over the plate.

Just too many variables for the human element to get close to what a computerized/laser zone would provide. In addition to the fact that as these guys age, their eyes/reaction time literally get worse... yet I've been hearing the same umpire names for decades.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Crane is not that stupid.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree. I don't think a catcher's ability to present a pitch should have any bearing on whether it is a ball or a strike. I would like to point out that if "robots" called balls and strikes....it would likely hurt the Astros more than most teams as the Astros are heavily invested in pitchers and catchers that rely on tricking umpires than on catchers that can hit and pitchers that just throw stuff past people.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It would basically hinder all control artists... and make power arms more valuable. Everybody would have to adjust their analytics/sabermetrics.

That could very well be the case with the new strike zone anyways.

12. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

His location is off..even a few inches would mean that few more hits or pitches each inning.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

we should send half our team to AAA to work out kinks

14. Buck Turgidson

He's hurt. It's obvious.

I would guess his back or hip.

15. ratbehr

ratbehr New Member

While someone else mentioned it earlier, based on his BABIP and FIP he has gotten somewhat unlucky, and his numbers should improve as the year goes on. But, based on what I've seen, he does look worse on the mound in terms of control and composure. His velocity on all of his pitches (except for his changeup) are down to his rookie year measures, which might be the most alarming sight of all. Not sure what has caused this, perhaps an injury?

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Anyone have any more opinions with Dallas? I was offered Keuchel for Kole Calhoun. Normally I'd take it but I don't think Dallas is getting his mojo back and I'm worried he's hurt.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Since this thread was created... he's actually looked stellar within the games, but either hits a wall, or runs into a bad luck/bad defense inning that has him giving up runs late.

Now, if his stamina or arm is just not responding as it did last year... which isn't that surprising given the work-load he put his body through... then yes, he could be defined as being "hurt".

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeppers

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Some regression was expected, but Keuchel just hasn't looked good this season. Yeah, he has looked good in games, except for a one inning. Well, unfortunately, giving up a 5 run inning is more often than not going to lead to a loss.

The BABIP of .339 and FIP of 3.83 suggest luck is not on his sided (which is probably true - statistically our fielding has not been very good), but honestly, he just hasn't look good IMO. Not controlling the zone or working counts, he often looks uncomfortable on the mound. Velocity is down to what it was his rookie season. He is also giving up hard hit balls at the highest rate of his career.

He likely won't end the season with a 5.54 ERA, but even best case scenario I don't see him finishing much higher than like a 3.8. I think it's time to start looking at McCullers as our potential ace going forward, his strikeout numbers are insane this year and he has gotten even more unlucky than Keuchel.

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

one way to fix Keuchel is to give him whatever Colby Lewis is on