1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Donatas Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by donatas, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

There's nothing curious about DMo. He's just not ready to be a rotation player in the NBA, even with the Rockets' weak bench.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

dmo is still always in better position than tjones who never knows where the hell he is on that end of the court. Dmo just gets called for terrible fouls a lot of the time

as for offense, idk what the hell DMO is doing, he has some skill offensively but he doesn't seem to know how or when to use it or even know what to do on offense

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

When they took D. Mo out and put Black in everything went back to normal.

I'm no longer curious about D. Mo. I think I've seen enough. 7 footer with intriguing skills that very rarely translate to actual NBA games. People are enamored with his talent, but his actual on court production has been very disappointing.

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

The most inconsistent player I've ever seen

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Well, to be fair, as the thread title suggests, DMo suffers from Benjamin Button disease so it's to be expected.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I just think he doesn't have it mentally to be a good player night in and night out. He makes so many mental mistakes; lazy one handed passes as someone is playing the passing lane, inability to holdout position or complete easy layups, missed free throws when he was advertised as a big man with a soft stroke. All the little things, he struggles doing consistently.

Of course he will have those games where it clicks for him and he gets 18 points and 10 rebounds and we all will get excited for him. Then the next game, it's back to 6 points, 3 rebounds and 5 fouls with 3 turnovers.

He has the tools to be a great player. His post up game is amazing and he is agile for his size. But half the game is mental and if he is not clicking both mentally and physically, he will never reach his potential.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought I had a bad feeling when Lithuania went with Valanciunas and less with DMo this World Cup

I hope he plays better and we can get something for him, rather peanuts

8. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

He was HOT GARBAGE tonight.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Again who are you watching. Dmo cannot play defense right now. Not strong enough nor is he quick enough on his feet. People need to stop believing he's somehow in better position lol

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People are in love with his postgame and his 7 ft frame. They oversee he is playing a lot smaller, dunking less than other similar players, doing stuff that a big man does.

They usually have a way of thinking and logic and hard to talk to.
    Overrating players on favorite teams is a common trait

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He was really not bad tonight . I don't know what game you guys were watching . He had very good defensive positioning and got whistled for some fouls . A player who is not an NBA vet will have a hard time playing consistently if he does not get consistent minutes . He only got 16 min tonight most of them in garbage time . The best thing about dmo tonight was the ball movement that he facilitated . He set some beautiful screens for harden and made a couple nice passes to open 3 point shooters who then missed the shots .

Jones had a decent game tonight . He hustled for some rebounds and made some weak side blocks. But most of his offensive production came from easy looks created by other players. His defensive positioning was just OK . More than anything , when he gets the ball he is a complete black hole on offense . He almost never passes the ball until he has held on to it for 3 or 4 seconds.

There are things that Dmo needs to work on , no doubt . I really question McHale for not giving him more playing time and making him play out on the perimeter as much as he does. Because while he has great post moves , he is not always comfortable in the post . However, his defensive rotations and willingness to pass should be enough to get him minutes . Especially combined with the fact that he seems to have improved as a rebounder.

Most of the people trashing Dmo didn't watch the game , or don't really know what they are talking about. Thinking that dmo will never improve or that you have seen enough of him to call him a bust is shortsighted and idiotic . He may never reach his potential , but he has made tangible progress while not recieving consistent minutes . Despite his shooting inconsistency , he has improved considerably in his team defense since being drafted.

To me the "curious case of Dmo" is quite simple. He needs minutes and consistent minutes over the course of a full season to fully determine his status as a prospect. People that want to give up on dmo lack patience and probably don't really understand the game of basketball.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Where are the good games to balance out the turds he regularly curls out on the court? He sucks.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Terrible out there tonight. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between tonight and his first NBA season. Seems to have no improvement over the years.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

You cant see extra 50 pounds?

1 person likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DMo looked good midseason last year. Hasn't looked good done.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo is a PnR player, who never gets the ball on the roll or in the post, if the Rockets are not going to use his strengths as a player, then they should try to get what they can for him, because he is not a defensive rebounding stalwart.

He is a slick offensive player - but needs touches in the post.

DD

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets last night were trying to stagger Dwight and Harden's minutes and ran the plays exclusively through those two when they were on the floor without the other. Probably a smart move.

In the preseason though, you really could see McHale actually coaching them to go to D-Mo in the post with the 2nd and 3rd unit. However if you payed attention, D-Mo really struggles to seal off his man in the post. Once he gets the ball fairly deep in the post, he has the green light to get his, but he still struggled a bit at times to get solid shots with good positioning.

Guys, for all McHale's faults, he's actually trying with D-Mo. I can see it clear as day.

Eventually during the season, McHale will have to take out both H&H at times during the game, and they will have to go to another offensive option. I think the Papanikolaou P&R might be what we see so D-Mo will have his moments during games to either show up or not. I know I'd probably prefer that over wasting half the shot clock trying to wait for D-Mo to seal his man off in the post.

He'll look good enough at times this year to retain some value around the league. I'm not worried about that. I just hope he can be a difference maker later on down the line this season when they need him or someone to provide a spark.

19. Zbed

Zbed Member

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Jeff Adrien on this team then Dmo. I've about had enough of him

20. Progs

Progs Member

This. The amount of negativity here towards Dmo baffles me. Then you guys are crying when they go to another team. Dude just needs his touches in the post and as DD mentioned, he is a PnR players. There were instances last year in which Lin and Dmo were running the PnR to perfection and then they just stopped going to that. The "coaching" is even more inconsistent than Dmo's play.

1 person likes this.