1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Connor Barwin Sucks Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by macho87, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macho87

macho87 Member

He's gone from 11.5 sacks and 27 QB hits in 2011. He also set a franchise record for sacks in a game with 4.
    This year he's been a total non-factor. I really hope he isn't resigned.

2. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Intangibles :mad:

3. tested911

tested911 Member

It really is odd. How can someone be so productive one year have such a drop off the next.

Considering:

1. Contract year
    2. The emergence of JJ Watt
    3. Getting more comfortable with the schemes and fellow teamates?

Is he just mad, doesn't care, or just lazy?

Or maybe just maybe (I'm reaching) he has been injured the whole year?

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He was supposed to actually benefit from Reed's injury by moving to the strong side, which was said to be more natural from him. Seemed like he was in coverage a lot against NE, probably because they sent the RB on routes so much and we had to use the ILBs to cover TEs.

I do know that sack numbers do not even begin to tell the story on a players performance, and only coaches tape can tell you how a player is really doing, but it doesn't look good for Barwin. Perhaps he's doing the right things and just getting unlucky. I'll trust that the coaches and Rick Smith know this and will make the right decision in the offseason.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Not being able to agree to an extension was a blessing in disguise. Imagine if we have had to pay him based off of last season's performance for the next ___ years.

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

As funny as the "On the Nose" videos are, I kinda wish Cody and Barwin would take their roles more seriously. You can't have fun and games when you haven't proven yourself as a team.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I think every NFL team has a little segment like that on their NFL team pages....not necessarily called "On the Nose"...but something where players are involved and the footage is supposed to be entertaining/funny.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Actually OTN is their way of breaking the monotony of work...In general both our stellar LB from last year...Barwin and Reed have dropped of...but their lack of production just has to show you how dominant JJ has been...he is taking away sacks from LB's...Barwin is extremely important...he is big...range-y and athletic...granted he has lost some value...he still provides this team with solid energy...Barwin's livelyhood is at stake...and he is trying...just sucks that his work isnt being rewarded...I do think however...he turns it up for the playoffs...just saying...:)

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

Yeah, I had been of the opinion that he just wasn't getting the sack numbers due to bad luck or some kinda slump and thought he was playing well otherwise and would snap back. I still would not be surprised to see him redeem himself with some multi-sack games and big plays before our playoff run is over, but something is clearly wrong.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Sack numbers don't tell the whole story, but you can see who's getting pressure and creating QB hurries, and it isn't Barwin.

11. Relentless

Relentless Member

Please stop...typing...your posts...like this...It's pretty...annoying...I think...I...remember someone...else doing...this as well...who are you...were you...banned....before....just saying....

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. There were a few games where it seemed like Connor was getting more pressure, but looks like he's fallen off again.

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Been saying this since the halfway point of the season. Dude has been garbage this year. The biggest play he's made all year has been for Green Bay.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

We have a good run defence. I think Cody is more than doing his job.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

no, the safety against ravens is the biggest but i'm sure mercilus was there also

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

yea his play is going to make it incredibly easy to decide who to give the more deserved, larger contracts to. We have a few guys to lock up this offseason and Barwin isnt one of them, unless he'll resign for a minimum deal. His play has been horrific his season, hes never been consistent his entire tenure here.

17. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Hey man... I type like that from time to time, is it that serious an issue... that you couldn't just ignore the post... But on the flip side Connor Barwin has been awful this season thus far, maybe its a nagging injury or something but he could also have benefited from B. Cushing before he got injured. Our defense is just beat the f**k up and its showing... and for that reason and that reason alone I hate the NY Jets and their O-lineman that took that cheap shot at our defensive freak.

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Honestly, it seems like Barwin isn't even out there playing.

19. Remix

Remix Member

Our OLB's in general suck. I can't seem to recall one play where one of theme beat an OT. All of there sacks have come from being unblocked or when the QB starts to scramble and runs into one of theme.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This,...forget about the non sacks for a sec, ..he just isn't making plays...none, none! with nearly no positive affect in any game. This we can count on..What he brings to the team is a big ass burrito joke. We need more players like jj watt that understands training is nothing and the will to act is everything....:mad: