1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Coming Gay Marriage Ruling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Powerful. This is what progress looks like.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-coming-gay-marriage-ruling

[​IMG]

"All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." - Harvey Milk

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm completely flabbergasted that it's even an issue. But progress is slow- women, minorities, etc.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You can do whatever you want, with whoever you want, that's cool. :cool:

But... don't call it a marriage... come on, now. I think that's the main issue here. PARTNERSHIP or UNION? I definitely will accept that.

I will let other humans be happy no matter what they want to do behind closed doors.

I think if people would just not call it that word, many more would accept and allow people to do what they wanted to do without needing to have marches, protests, videos, parades, etc.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Yeah, too bad the law won't.

It's not a matter of nomenclature.

A quick primer on why it matters:

https://www.glad.org/uploads/docs/publications/cu-vs-marriage.pdf

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

I now pronounce you a wife and wife..

Or a Husbend and husbend ..!!?

Unless they changed Oxforod's dictionary

Definition of wife in English:
    noun (plural wiveswīvz)

1A married woman considered in relation to her spouse.

Anyhow I am ok with legalizing gay's marriage as long as both are hot chicks anything else is discousting .

Congratulation in advance to Atw :)

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if these humans end up getting married and calling it that. do you think they are going to come up to you and scream it in your face?

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is slow. It is pathetic how long it takes the USA to follow the rest of the developed world. For a country who prides itself for being the leader of the free world there are some dark age like laws still present.

It is not like this has been legal in the netherlands for15 years.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The internet is a powerful thing

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Agree. The change in pot, gay marriage, complacency to police violence, pay equality etc. is happening rapidly as the weight of public opinion can be expressed and measured. It certainly has a regressive element too though when propaganda, paranoia and threatened traditions incite their own reactions.

The perception of public opinion is coming more grass roots and less from ivory towers. The risk is that people in general are more reactionary than considered.

'the times they are a changing'

10. Remii

Remii Member

Congrats to the gays for being able to recognize themselves as a man and women union.

People are getting murdered in the streets like dogs but thanks for sharing with me what real progress looks like:rolleyes:

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think 10 years ago people would've been fine with making all government sanctioned unions "civil unions." The problem then though was that the proponents of traditional marriage worked to block many of those through referendums that even banned civil unions or things that were equivalent to marriage. If anything it was the those who wanted to defend what they considered the sanctity of marriage that essential drove the gay marriage movement to where it is now.

Anyway the term "marriage" has long been used to describe unions besides just man and a woman. "Marriage" is frequently used in engineering to describe connecting two elements.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. See: The Fappening.

13. g1184

g1184 Member

This news is taking a little bit more flak than I expected, on this bbs.

At any rate, good for the LGBT community. The nation took a HUGE step backward in 2008. The marriage traditionalists and Mormon church's actions may have just galvanized everybody that sees this as an equal rights issue around the LGBT groups. To have the majority of the nation's support is fantastic.

14. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, swoly, remii and exiled are very indicative of the average (read: normal, sane) bbs poster, or human being in general.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

the majority of conservatives under age 40 also support Gay Marriage. It is inevitable that it will be legal everywhere in the states before long.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Gay rights impacts a whole lot more people than those that are "getting murdered in the streets like dogs."

Virtually everyone knows a relative or has a friend or coworker that is homosexual and very recently had to hide their sexual orientation and could not be married with the same rights afforded heterosexuals.

Now tell me, how many people know people that have been "murdered in the street like dogs" in America?

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

[youtube]4EnYI45WA-w [/youtube]

18. Nook

Nook Member

That is great... the Republican Party gets 0% credit for advancing Gay Rights. They have obstructed the advancement and fought tooth and nail against any advancement.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, it will just not create any more humans. :eek: I know it's a stretch, but it's possible. It will also be possible if male and female stop procreating too. I don't scream being heterosexual to anyone, because that's natural.

I'm glad you bring that up. The two elements in question DO NOT connect at all. They don't even couple. I think that's my point, too.

It's naturally INCORRECT. Again, it's behind closed doors and I can respect that, but it's not marriage even in the sense you bring up.

Try to stick one USB flash drive into the other to get my point. :)

LOLs @ Russel Peters' point on population control... haha... WELL SAID.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

That Buck of Turkgidson would say you are not sensitive to USB flash too lol