1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The coming civil war in the USA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Jul 28, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

You never compared it.

What scattered violence are you comparing it to?

There were particular issues involved in Kansas and that led to the civil war.

What are the issues that are causing this scattered violence leading to this civil war?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If we started to see militants from Virginia regularly marching into Maryland bombing abortion clinics due to laws about parental consent, waiting periods, or ultrasounds, then yeah.

Or perhaps Washingtonians launching consistent attacks on Idaho prisons to free people on death row.

All of these little flare ups of idiots pretending to be revolutionary soldiers are just isolated incidents of radicalized morons with no lives attempting to gain some sort of self-righteous purpose that doesn't really weave into a larger issue.

What used to be North vs. South... State vs. State.... is now Urban vs. Rural... there are no easy dividing lines anymore.

Hell, even Alabama only supported Trump over Clinton 2:1.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

All this affirms rather than denies my point. We have a Low-Intensity/Cold Civil War going on now. And yes, that can get heated up and get worse, unfortunately.

Actually, I think the best way to resolve this is for more power to go to states and local areas, so different people can live differently, but how they want to.

Want to live where abortion is highly restricted? Go live there. Want to live where a baby can be aborted at any point? Go live there.

But unfortunately, there are many -- in the country and on this board -- who want to federally impose their views on the whole nation.

In fact, if you think about the states that have reformed their drug laws -- what is that, besides a big middle finger to the federal government? And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, either.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its so funny to hear people on the right talk about this.

They have been so brainwashed into this tribalist concept, they can't understand that the "left" doesn't consider themselves a tribe.

IBTL, tmoney1101 and CometsWin like this.
  5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Republican party would need to adapt; a platform for white, non-college grad, and religious wouldn't win in said scenario.

I am torn when it comes to the electoral college. I understand its point, however I think it's deeply undemocratic that the party with less votes can rule the government. That said, I hate the idea of purely majority rule (50.1% should not be fully in control of the 100%). But, I guess this is where states rights can be effective.

BruceAndre likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Human conflict is not like a hurricane. A hurricane is a force of weather that we cannot control. Human conflict is something we do to ourselves. If the raindrops and the wind gusts could hear the weatherman and say to each other, "it's happening boys! Hurricane in Houston, see you all there!" then it might be a fair comparison. Which is not to say we shouldn't analyze what's going on around us and try to understand the larger forces at play, and to say what we think it is. But our lens will inform our actions, so we should be really careful about calling it a war, which could inform some very bad actions and cause the thing it foretells.

No, I think he's just a freeloading crank who should be in jail, whereas I think you mythologize his struggle as some much more noble stand about self-governance. So we perhaps see the civilizational clash between you and me about what kinds of defiance are acceptable, and for what reasons.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I definitely agree with this. Things are not so easily separated now. There is no North vs South (at least, not in the way there used to be).

That's why the second civil war would be a lot different than the first one.

As I think I mentioned, it could just end up being people moving to the areas where their views are more tolerated, or are the norm.

And, the blue states become more bluer, and the red states become more red; and the overall divide increases.

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Goodness. The left is as much or more tribal than the right is.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Being in two diametrically opposed bubbles (Marine infantry and all the family and friends associated with that community along with a Massachusetts university) , my time in the former bubble had far more consesus in political ideology along with political talking points regurgitated than the my time in the latter bubble.

I don't know. Maybe you have experiences in different diametrically opposed bubbles also and came out to a different conclusion.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I don't think Bundy would have succeeded if he didn't have his community with him. He did. And that's the point.

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Right now, in another thread, people are talking about gun control because of this recent shooting in California.

In essence, they want to take away the rights of law-abiding gun owners because of what one or two criminals did.

And you think there will not be some massive resistance to such an effort? And what would we call that resistance, I wonder .....

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I mean Clutchfans, and I remember very distinctly just how ashamed and quiet our resident Republicans were in the final moments.

The fault line is this:

America (and the world, too) is only going to get more and more urbanized as time goes on.

Our cities are growing exponentially faster than their rural counterparts. The balance is tipping urban, and fast.

The problem is our representation is not adjusting with this shift. Urban votes are growing weaker while rural votes are growing stronger.

This creates an unrepresentative democracy, and it will eventually fracture and fail.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hahhahaha

The right is basically a cult right now.

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

And so, you see the same potential calamity that I do; although I suspect we are coming at it from different viewpoints.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

sophomoric adrenaline daydreams, sort of like Manson and his race war

IBTL likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's not that there would "never be another Republican president". It's that the Overton window would shift left.

We would see more liberal Democrats in office and less conservative Republicans.

As I've said and proven before, America has no true left wing. On a global scale, we have a center, and a right.

Republicans in America have gotten too comfortable with this concept, and so they would need to adjust to a new reality.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a stupid notion this concept that laws should only affect "criminals" and not law abiding citizens. In reality most people are law abiding gun owners until they start murdering people at a festival.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bruce, round up the other patriots. I advise you not to wait. Take your personal weapons and attack the government while you still have the element of surprise.
    sssh.

BruceAndre likes this.
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Whatever you do, don't Google the following, "bugs take over the world" your head will explode with how many hits and videos will convince you that we are doomed. Doomed.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I agree somewhat. The Overton window would shift even more left. The GOP would have to become even more leftist than it is. How much ruckus this would raise is still another thing.