1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Clutch City bond is unbreakable: Players, Fans, City

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

theoretically I could be agnostic on the question . . . or simply ignorant. Anyway, the question is about you, really.

kjayp likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand Clutch City
    you are the one who doesn't

also I understand the rules are different now

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

maybe I understand Clutch City but just don't care

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't think you understand

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/221635-robert-horry-the-definition-of-a-role-player

Quality One: A Role Player must fill up the depth chart with his versatility

Horry has played with three of the greatest big men in NBA history in Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, and Hakeem Olajuwon.

However, he was a starter with O'Neal and Olajuwon for good reason: He fit perfectly down low with them.

As we all know, Horry is obviously a great shooter at his power forward position. Next to a low-post banger such as O'Neal and Olajuwon, a team typically has a shooting power forward.

But, Horry could also play like a small-forward when he caught the ball on the perimeter.

In his younger days with the Rockets and the Lakers, a defender would definitely need to respect his shooting touch. Because of this, the younger, quicker, and more athletic Horry could also drive the ball inside to make an easy layup or dunk, because at 6'10", no one was blocking the shot.

Not only is Horry an accomplished and legitimate threat to score, but he also was a very good passer. He also did not turn the ball over often at all due to quality ball handling skills. Over his career, he held a low average of 1.24 turnovers in 24.5 minutes.

And then, on the defensive end, Horry could guard the majority of the big men in the NBA and then recover to crash the boards. He was fairly foul prone, but a coach doesn't mind about one foul per 10 minutes from a big man.

Because of his versatility, Horry filled the depth chart since he could play at either forward position as well as center.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that helped. thanks.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Penny Hardaway getting owned by Horry on D

[​IMG]

7. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

I still say to this the rockets were robbed in 93 vs sea and 97 vs utah. No guarentee they would have won titles in 93 and 97 but i would liked their chances.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

The only Rocket that was robbed was Steve Francis

#28 tinman, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Snow Villiers likes this.
  9. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

obviously you dont watch the nba you just post on a message on a message board all day like a wanna be.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One of the great parts of being a Rocket is that we have the holy trinity of Rockets to always look up to:

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Tracy McGrady
    Jeremy Lin

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Shut up lin fan

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

wish hakeem has a son that he personally trained to be in the nba. and judging by today's bigs, he would also train to shoot from the 3. imagine hakeem's natural post moves with a deadly 3.

13. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

both are wack

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

A time long ago Tinman. Those were the HOUSTON Rockets. They represented everything that was this city. That's the team that won back to back championships before LE$ started to truly turn it into his own vision. That's the team he lucked out into buying ready made.

This team we root for today are the Le$lie Alexander presents the China Rockets brought to you by insert corporation. Empty lower bowls. Late arriving crowds. Requiring Red Rowdies to cover up for embarrassingly lame and quiet crowd. Chinese takeout box designed jersey and logos. All offense and no defense. No heart. Mentally soft. Nerdy analytics driven. Undersized player drafting. Content just to make the playoffs. Teddy bear mascot having. Sockless loafer and capri wearing, sunglasses at night, creepy laughter having New Yorker as an owner.

No Chance and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

I have nothing against the Rowdies, they are great people.
    I do agree with you that the Rockets are marketed toward businesses and international fans now.

The Astros and Texans are marketing themselves more toward Houston fans.

Caesar likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Durant wouldn't have had the guts to post up against Hakeem. Hakeem would have blocked nearly all his shots.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Red is for Passion, Mustard Yellow for Food.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol I got to say yes China because they also brought Yao. But China did not make the Rox draft undersized PFs and have empty seats.

The Bay Area arena is full of American Chinese and Azn brehs.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

There a multiple reasons for the empty seats.

Back in the old days, when the Rockets weren't good or played a crap team, people from the higher seats sneak down to the lower seats, so the lower seats were always full.

Charlie Thomas didn't care.

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Pretty sure I wasn't the only 16 year old in 1995 with baggy jeans (even when it was 99 degrees), playing NBA live on Super Nintendo and listening to 97.9 hoping they play gangstas paradise.