1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Classical] Why We Watch Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Dec 4, 2012.

1. AFS

AFS Member

Even so, just because Asik isn't better than Howard off the PnR, doesn't mean he's still not good. After being disastrous on offense the first few games, Asik has been surprisingly effective on offense.

Also, I feel like the author of the article hasn't really watched Asik play much, considering he wrote:
    Those of us who have been watching the games know that a ton of Asik's points are layups and making finesse moves around the basket, rather than dunking it.

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

nice observation! btw he never makes travelling.. another good sign...

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Finesse moves? He does a lot of lay ups that would qualify as finesse if he was more graceful. Currently, I don't see finesse.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agreed with you that he was good. I thought I made that clear that I was surprised he was a better finisher as the roll man than I had anticipated. The only reason why I elaborated on the Howard thing was so that people wouldn't start jumping down my throat saying that I thought Asik was better than Dwight.

I also do agree with you in regards to the person not being as informed on Asik as they could have been.

5. just a word

just a word Member

Actually, now I'm wondering and would like to throw out the question:
    What in your opinion are the easiest/hardest skills for a center to learn?

It's been fun for me watching Asik trying something new offensively what seems like every game and he's really grown in that regard since the pre-season imo.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that centers take longer to peak than other positions, maybe 5 or 6 years instead of 3, which would put Asik in good position to peak right around the same time as Lin, Parsons, and Patterson. And given that Harden's in a new role I wouldn't be surprised if that changed/reset/extended his learning curve.

6. AFS

AFS Member

Fair enough. But hey, he gets the ball in the bucket, so I'm not going to complain about the manner in which he chooses to do so.

7. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Hey, Omer's frantic ballet style of layup when Lin force-feeds him the ball is a beauty to watch. I, for one, feel very entertained by that unique style. ;)