1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chris Paul Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Feb 13, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That or fertitta's pocketbook .

Stormy1234 likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Dang, I honestly had not heard this opinion before.

Thanks OP for bringing light to this fact.

Reeko, HP3 and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. RocketTheory

RocketTheory Member

Swish....

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

It’s just sad. I love CP3 but he just doesn’t look like his normal self. He would be great as a 3rd option but we don’t have that luxury.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It is what it is...

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

I've continued to say that we need to trade CP3's contract for months now. He will soon become untradeable and he's already on a steep decline from last year. I haven't seen him blow past a defender in a number of games in a row.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow...this post is so delusional, u have no idea what you’re talking about

please stick to the Astros

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Empty threats.

9. rockets13champs

Tbh I feel like the camera side of the games are more filled now than they used to be

10. threepointshot3

He can’t even blow past a 90 year senior citizen anymore. It’s sad

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You don’t even want to know what the Rockets wouid have to include in order to move CP. Maybe GM Lebron and Magic are dumb enough to trade for him, but I bet even they have some semblance of understanding how the salary cap works. They have to know that a trade for CP would mean no Anthony Davis or Kyrie.

CP is ours for the next few years. Just have to manage him and hope he’s there healthy when it counts. You cannot rely on him to win regular season games.

12. amaru

amaru Member

13. TimV

TimV Member

They could always waive him and stretch the contract out this summer. That would ONLY result in a cap hit of $17.5M for each of the next seven years.

Or, maybe that insurance agent double of him has some untapped basketball skills and fresh legs.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bro the only team that woulda traded for his contract this year was WAS, and we'd have to take back wall

15. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

if we keep cp3 harden and caplea, I think this year is the final chance to get champion. It is because Morey does not have enough money to stay Gordon and other good players. I suggest Morey to sign all the good buyout and house this year

16. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

The real question is how many all star appearances will our 40m per year superstar make? Last year he failed to make it. Year 1 he didn't make it. What about years 2, 3 and 4?

I mean he is the second highest paid player in the league so he should be able to make it right? He was an all-star almost every year before the Rockets.

I hope we aren't paying him for his past play.

#56 Giant9erRocket, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's wild how much he's declined from just last year. Completely different player.

18. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

If we dont go far in the playoffs, we should look into trading him to the LAKERS they're the one team who would probably take him. Him and lebron can finally team up and maybe we can get a young player and cap room out the deal

Moleb likes this.
  19. SemisolidSnake

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I kind of always figured that the team was looking for more than just a simple player when they got Chris Paul.

1) I think there was a lot of hope that he'd bring a needed leadership quality to kick guys' asses into gear.
    2) With his years of experience as the best point guard of the current era, I suspect there was a lot of expectation that his presence would add layers of depth to our offensive strategy. Like, having an actual true point guard would open up all sorts of other scoring possibilities just by him being there.

Basically, I think the team (and we) were looking for a player-coach, not just a player. And that's what the big bucks were paid for.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of that extra stuff. The offensive strategy...well, there is none regardless of who's on the court. The defense is painful, and I don't see CP3, who's supposed to be know for his defense, pushing anyone else on that front.

Now, I don't really know how to assign blame. Our coach doesn't seem to coach, and Paul, in the end, was hired as a player under said coach. He doesn't seem like much of a leader, but he also only has so much agency to be one in the first place.

So, I think there was all this hope about more intangible aspects around Chris Paul, but ultimately we paid for the tangible aspect which is an oft-injured player in his declining years. The team relies too much on what-ifs in lieu of designing a framework of flexible offense and strong defense that is player-agnostic to a large degree. And that's a coaching problem. And since our current "system" is Morey's baby, I'm lumping him in with coaching on this. And don't hire $40 million point guards and then cram them into an inflexible, uncreative offense, because then you're just paying $40 million for something you could get for a fraction of that.

Easy likes this.
  20. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Can you elaborate or bring examples? Not being combative, I'm genuinely trying to learn here.