1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chandler Parsons contract proves my prediction that moneyball would end in failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Why do you think it was a blunder, what would you have done? I think it was the right move to make, but it didn't work out.

2. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Go home OP, you're Mark Cuban.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Only JCDenton could make LOFs look reasonable and sane. What a moron.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not as annoying as the Morey worshippers who defend everything he does and never acknowledges that he has made some terrible mistakes and how he's nothing more than an above average GM at this point.

5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Please explain what his oh-so-terrible mistakes are? Not saying he hasn't made mistakes--he has--but the vast majority of them made sense at the time and were only mistakes in hindsight.

-overpaying & amnestying Scola?
    -letting Dragic go for nothing?
    -signing Lin?
    -declining Parsons' option?
    -trading Lin before securing Bosh's commitment?

Yeah there's been bumps along the way. But as someone else mentioned here earlier, we were one 'Yes' away from the best starting lineup in the entire league.

Such an average GM /s

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No graphs means didn't read.

Morey is not an avg GM. He is a good and could have become great had he fired McHale. McHale is the one holding this team back. Free agents who want to win will not come here after last season playoff debacle

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LMFAO.
    This guy comes out of hiding after being wrong so many times.

8. sutton

sutton Member

Good points, rockets need look into mirror to see what went wrong.

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

What would I do? When Carmelo was off the table, and Love not available, I'd had a convo with Bosh. But soon as he said "I love Miami, and wanna wait for Lebron" I'd stop entertaining it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even of threw a max contract at Bosh. My goal this offseason if I'm Daryl Morey is exploring trades for a true pg, resigning Parsons, then tightening up our bench. That's it. I'm not wasting most of my offseason chasing another star, it's not needed

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For those who ask for a graph...

[​IMG]

11. Possum

Possum Member

My god this board is filled with garbage like this thread now. Eell at least the LOFs will be gone soon. I loved Yoa but he was the beginning of the end for this bbs.

12. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

No players want to play for a poor coach and a poor coach can't bring the best of the players.

Real good coach would not like coming to Houston knowing his roster is keep changing every year.

For the players, knowing they are likely get traded in the future, why not choose a team valued them more when they have the chance (Parsons)?

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I need to hire you. Genius.

14. vernonmaxwell11

op is simply saying that he wishes the rockets org would treat their players like people instead of like baseball, pokemon, or magic the gathering cards

15. houactuar

houactuar Member

I don't mind trading Asik and getting a nice draft pick. I don't like trading Lin for what, cap space you don't need cause bosh said no? And the stinger is having to include sweetener of two draft picks. Unless you use cap space to sign pao gasol then trading Lin with picks is a waste.

16. houactuar

houactuar Member

It's a business. Bosh and parsons show that all players care about is money. They are assets. Nothing more. Ok, they are people too. But Morey's job is business. He isn't their girlfriend, he's their boss. Morey allowed parsons to make millions. I don't think parsons should be mad at dm. He should love dm.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

1 star thread.

Read first paragraph, lol'd and thought 'gee Harden and Howard screw your premises rather hard'.

And if Moreyball has found undervalued players in the past, why will it fail to find them in the future? Enjoy riding your hobbyhorse.....

18. Buck Turgidson

Not a single chart, nor a single graph. I'm sorry that I can't comprehend your bball acumen without your typical visual aids.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This is the cold hard truth and sober reality that Maury's blind followers (i.e. the "In Morey We Trust" crowd) do not want to face. Despite all the hype, in terms of team accomplishments, the Rockets have done nothing under his tenure except win one playoff series. I've always maintained that moneyball as outlined by JCDenton in his original post is a failed philosophy. Look at the Oakland As, the originators of $ball, what did they accomplish? Nothing, they were eliminated in the playoffs year after year. Now they're the best team in baseball after they abandoned moneyball in favor of a more traditional approach. But Kwame, didn't the Mavs and Redsox use $ball to win championships and titles? You can't characterize it as moneyball when both teams had payrolls in excess of $100 million. When you're spending that much to go out and acquire talent, you can call your philosophical approach whatever you want.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I hope this is a troll post.

So are you knocking Morey for being an above average GM?? :confused: