1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cat: take it to the bank, CP3 is staying

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 11, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As I recall, that number was thrown around after he said he'd opt out. It's the difference between a 5yr signed with Bird Rights (that only LAC could give him) and 4 yrs if he left. Plus the difference in Full Bird raises vs not.

Since he was traded, that loss is no longer the case. All he lost was the difference between the opt-in year 2018 salary vs the a Max for the 2018 year under a new contact. But he can make that up, if we still give him a 5yr, starting one yr later than the 5yr that the Clippers could have given him.

MyLateRegistration and DonKnock like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He continued to play in the playoffs after selling it.:)

bulkatron and hakeem94 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Correct, and there is the state tax feature to a degree.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Not even annoyed but I legitimately haven't made a post since game 7.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cowturd:

There's a feeling Houston was this close to beating Golden State, so the next step is they'll beat them. Portland thought they were close to Jordan, never got back. Kemp/Payton never got back. Utah was this close, never did. Shaq/Penny were this close, never did.

Here's the one thing I don't like about Houston: Chris Paul, to stay in Houston, is eligible for the max. He's not a max player right now. He's an old 33. LeBron is a young 33. Chris is an old 33. Last 4 regular seasons: 82-74-61-58 games and couldn't play in games six and seven because he was hurt again. These max deals, I don't like them. The NBA created them because they wanted stars to stay home. The idea mobility is bad for the league is nonsense.

John Wall, his hasn't even kicked in. In 2022, he'll be making $47M. I can guarantee you the Wizards are already regretting it. Westbrook, super max deal. Deep down OKC doesn't want to pay him that. I like Chris Paul but these max contracts...the last 2 dynasties - Miami & Golden State - took less money to make it work. You are trapped with multiple max deals. They were designed to keep players at home.

Chris Paul is not a max player. He's an old 33. For a full max: $35M, $38M, $41M, $44M, $47M. 4 years ago, yes. Everyone thinks Houston is right there. If so, you gotta give up the likes of Trevor Ariza and he'll probably go to Golden State. That's not good for Houston. Don't knock this Golden State dynasty out due to Houston. Boston can beat them. They aren't trapped with bad contracts. Houston, you pay him that, you're trapped in the last 3 years of that deal.

Broussard:

I said a year or so ago, he took a huge risk leaving the Clippers. He left 4 years, $175M offer on the table at 32 years old. Now 33 with an injury history to play out the last year of his deal. Did Houston give him a wink-wink? I'm sure they had to. They couldn't do anything binding. Now the question is will Houston live up to their word? The smart thing is to not give him 4 or 5 years. What I would do if I'm Houston is offer him 2 years max. He won't like. I'd be willing to go 3 years max. If that's not enough. I may let him walk. They're still good without him. ... Chris, as president of the Player's Association, does he feel I have to take max? Who else is giving him the max? If LeBron were to say to get me(Lakers), take care of my man Chris, maybe then he gets it but by himself? Name me another team who will give him a 4-year max. I don't know where he gets that money. That could help Houston in the long term.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty dumb takes. But that's what is expected.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well he spoke a lot more about the injury. That was his main point. Injury and age (which means more injury).

And I don't really know how to classify that as a dumb take... other than the fact that it was Cowherd and all his takes are usually dumb.

But I don't see how anyone could say that it isn't "dumb" to sign a 33 year old CP3 who is ALWAYS injured in the playoffs to a 4 year deal at $30-$45 million a year.

I mean, I guess it's not dumb... it's insane.

But I'm the board pessimist. To me, there is a REAL case to pursue a S&T. Because I think there ABSOLUTELY was a WINK-WINK type thing and there's NO WAY the Rockets can go back on it. They did that with Chuck and have borne the ill-will of the media for years now. Plus CP3 is a big guy in the NBAPA. Don't piss him off.

But you COULD get him to a place he wants to go to and get a solid haul of young assets in exchange. Those assets either make the team better, or can then be flipped next year for something. There is ALWAYS one or two or three BIG TIME players on the market at the trade deadline. Like eventually the Hornets will move on from Kemba. Maybe a Bradley Beal gets dealt. Maybe Memphis goes full rebuild. Maybe it gets you Jimmy Butler.... heck there's rumors the TWolves might eventually move on from KAT.

So get him to a LAL. Or maybe to Philly (though they could tehoretically sign him out right, maybe you get assets via a S&T - Covington, Fultz, draft picks and lets Philly also go out and get Lebron).

I'm of course not saying you strongly pursue this, or pursue this out all. Just that there's a case to be made, especially if its (i) clear that CP3 is expecting the Brinks truck, and (ii) there is no other big name player coming to the Rockets. No Lebron, no Paul George. No trade for x,y,z.

I know I'm in the minority that think it EXTREMELY likely CP3 doesn't make it through a playoffs next year 100% healthy.... I just don't see it as a likelihood. He had one stretch of 22 straight games in the regular season. that's regular season mind you. he had two games in tehre where he played under 23 minutes. almost every game was max 30-34 minutes. Starting with game 4 against the Jazz he played 37, 38, 33, 32, 41 and 37 minutes then injury. the 15 games in a row was about in line with what he did in stretches in the regular season, other than that one 22 game stretch.

The Celtics made the ECF 2 years ago, and then changed over almost their whole roster. And have more assets now and are younger and made it back. It's not apples to apples of course. West is harder. Rockets were better and "closer" for sure.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wouldn't the alternative--maybe better alternative--than trading Paul is to find players that can alleviate the need for his high usage? Either that comes from an elite player like a LeBron James or to find more complementary players to increase our depth. It's not coincidental that Paul, Harden and Goron were the only ones creating shots in the playoffs because that's the flaw with having a lot of 3&D players in your system. I think if there was another creator in the mix Paul, Harden and Gordon (if he's still around next year) will get the rest/break they need during the season and maybe in the post season.

DonKnock, joshuaao and Deuce like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Precisely this.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. JayZ750

I know DM is a wizard and what it but please explain how that’s even possible.

Like a guy line Jerami Grant likely gets an mle type deal. That’s not a playmaker. That’s another pj Tucker.

Maybe you can get that by moving Gordon. But that’s one step back 1.5 steps forward.

Ultimately you’re only real asset to move now is Capela once resigned. Again that’s a step back for some steps forward.

Maybe a S&T in the future where the other team isn’t just happy to get something.

Bear in mind I’m definitely not saying let CP3 walk. I’d rather have him even at a crazy contract then nothing.

But to throw at something random. Would you move CP3 for Kenna right now? Hornets wouldn’t but assuming they decide to move him at the trade deadline and you are positioned by virtue of a S&T with say the Lakers that you have some assets.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think anyone thought PJ or Luc would have made the difference they made this past season when they were first brought on board. I don't expect Morey to conjure up magic every summer but it seems like we have a staff that can identify useful role players most of the time and can be had for a relatively good deal, Ryan Anderson excluded.

As for your question, if the deal was on the table for Kemba Walker wtih us doing an S&T with Paul AT Paul's request, I'd be dumb not to want to make it happen because he is a very good player. What could we get from the Lakers if Paul demands an S&T to LA? Ball, Kuzma? Ball, Ingram? You're then looking at taking steps backwards while Harden is going through in prime because none of those players have shown/proven anything beyond the regular season. This is why Morey traded for Paul, knowing that a max contract is on the horizon--you have to maximize what Harden can give you now.

14. JayZ750

Well sure, those are nice players. Neither accomplished your comment of "alleviating high usage" for Chris Paul. Neither is a playmaker. Neither helps the CP3 injury risk issue in any way.

That's my main - in fact ONLY - issue with CP3. I still wouldn't ideally give a 37 year old $40+ million a year, cause even if he wasn't injury prone, one would expect some serious game deterioration at that point. But if I knew I could get 100% healthy playoff CP3 next to Harden for 2-3 more years, that's clearly worth it.

Well I skipped some steps, because no, CP3 wouldn't that. But would he want to join Lebron In LA. If so, then a sign and trade is something like Deng, Ingram, Ball... or Deng, Ingram, Kuzma. Lakers would push for the former, Rockets would push for the later of course...

In either case, when the Hornets come out and are mediocre at best again next year (not a given, maybe new coaching does the trick, or they finally hit a draft home run), Ingram + either Ball or Kuzma is a decent package. Recall what Boogie went for, for example.

I'm not confusing Kemba Walker at his best for Chris Paul at his best. But at 5 years younger, playing near 80 games every year, scoring 20+, with a 37%+ 3 point % for three straight years on heavy volume, he's a solid get that keeps your current window open and is AVAILABLE by being healthy.

Of course, the biggest thing about CP3 is that James's respects him...

hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If Kawhi goes back to SA then give Parker the MLE.

16. JayZ750

Ok...

Again, not trying to be pessimistic here, but how is that super helpful?

Tony Parker has played more than 68 games only once in 7 years. He hasn't scored more than 12 points a game in 4 years. Maybe he can get his 3 point % back up, but he'll be 36, with 2 straight years of under 33% from three.... not that he shoots them in volume. Granted he was coming of injury, but Pop only played him 19.5 mpg last year, and he was so imapctful, that went down to 13 mpg in their short stint in the playoffs.

And your suggestion is to give him nearly $9 million a year?

Maybe on a 1 year deal if nothing else happens.

I see where you're going... you can trust him with the ball to not screw it up, and to the extent CP3 can get some rest because TP can give you even 15 mpg at PG that's better than nothing....

... BUT, the reason you needed CP3 for high 30's mpg in the last two series was because you needed that second star playmaker actually on the court.

CP3 injury risk goes down, and/or is at least mitgated, in combination with the team being able to be in games against GSW, if we can get a player that can actually make plays while playing as opposed to be a stopgap to give your starter some rest.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Some guards that can provide playmaking relief for CP3 and allow him to rest during the regular season (potentially available for the MLE)-

Might be too expensive:
    Evans
    Bradley
    FVV
    IT
    Hezonja
    Barton
    Reddick

Viable candidates:
    Exum
    E. Payton
    C. Joseph
    Napier
    D. Rose
    S. Curry

Can split MLE with another player (MBah, maybe):
    D. Harris
    J. Nelson
    I. Clark

saleem likes this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Cyber just said the CP3 deal is all wrapped up ready for its bow on July 1st.
    @The Cat is vindicated

saleem and Deuce like this.
  19. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

under what thread?

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Paging Cyberx 2.0

saleem and JuNx like this.