1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case to keep Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Jun 15, 2019.

1. ball king23

ball king23 Member

going to be hard to move that contract

D-rock likes this.
  2. SemisolidSnake

I read it all. I do think if you post an article, especially in here, you ought to give a brief summary for why people ought to read it. Or give up your right to complain when people don't. Gotta do a little selling. Know your audience.

The article pulls a lot of stats about Paul's seasons and shows some slight dips from his first to his second season with us. The dips were painted by the author as more dramatic than they actually looked to me. It also points out that the Rockets' pace is higher when Paul runs the offense vs. Harden, and that Paul is still a very good defender with teams scoring 8 fewer points when he's on the floor as opposed to off the floor.

Oh, and it points out that Paul had a shooting blip downwards in the 2015-16 season and recovered, so it's not necessarily obvious that he's experiencing age-related decline in that facet.

I can't really argue with anything in the article. Chris Paul is still a very good player and he's able to use his IQ to keep certain aspects of his game at a pretty high level in spite of getting older. I think most hatred towards Paul is really projecting hatred towards his contract onto the man himself.

My opinion is that the Rockets simply can't use him effectively. He's a high IQ guy in a low-IQ system. So, it's impossible to justify his specific talents at that price. However, that contract is so out of whack that what the hell are you expecting to get for him? He might as well stay, but he'll continue to be misused and you'll never come close to getting your money's worth out of him. But I don't think that's Chris Paul's fault.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Old CP3 get the most money in NBA...

What a joke.

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I have never heard CP3 mentioned championship since he signed fat contract.

#24 PeterKingX, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  5. rockets13champs

English please?

crimsonghost likes this.
  6. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

is the new tweet by ESPN just a subtweet from what Stephen A said on the show?

HP3 likes this.
  7. ak99999

ak99999 Member

Need cp3 to bring the ball up everytime and start the offense instead of walking up the court by harden.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, I dont even know if Stephen A knows this is true. He kinda just made an off hand comment on first take.

tmoney1101 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Ahh yea, I think Ill remember that for next time I start a thread haha. Thanks.

As for your last paragraph, I mean I dont really know what using him effectively really means. Our offense is efficient and it was great this year and last year. I dont get how its a dumb system. Hes a pick and roll player, possibly(one of the best ever). How is someone gonna use him differently. Like is Harden making him worse when hes on the floor? I dont think the numbers support that.

We literally had none of these complaints last year. The only thing that needs to change is for him to do less Iso and shoot better. I think we'll see different plays run with Cp this year. I agree that the offense definitely needs tweaks though. As for as misusing Cp, the only complain ive heard is about Harden not running enough for him which is weird, i donno I guess Im open to change haha.

D-rock likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is not much to talk about. NBA is again in flux.

If we keep him, then just for another year or so.

Unless we win a championship, very early to predict anything like that, we should be trying to get rid of his contract. Starting now.

11. riko

riko Member

I don’t think he wants out. It’s SAS talking out of his rear end

D-rock likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The issue is that when Harden is on the floor with CP3 , Harden is the initiator of the offense …. making CP3 a spot up shooter which doesn't suit him , he's just average in that aspect. He needs to be the initiator to maximize his talents.

Harden is simply a better option …. making CP3 redundant for 20 of his 32 minutes per game. That means you are paying CP3 30% of your cap for 12 minutes of his full potential.

When you realize that , its a poor allocation of cap space. You can get a player who isn't as talented overall but better compliments Harden and be better for it …. and not have to use 30% of your cap space to do it , that leaves you plenty of $$ to find a guy to run the offense for 12 minutes or so a game while Harden is not on the court.

CP3 is a luxury that just isn't affordable in a salary capped league when you have Harden.

tc0330, tmoney1101, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

I respect your opinion on this, i just want to make another case for him

But he's not average though? Hes got excellent catch and shoot numbers, though I suspect it more it has to do with his slow release than anything. But thats workable. Sure he needs the ball, but its not like it doesnt work? It does. It just needs tweaks. They can both do more for each other off ball. And honestly, Cp just shooting better could alleviate a a good amount on offense.

And not to mention, we are only talking about one side of the ball, our defense is significantly better with Paul on the floor, that is a fact and the numbers back that up.

Its not a great contract, but not only are you not gonna get a good return for him(as you have stated). Any collection of role players isnt good enough while Harden's prime is being wasted. Teams are only going to get better. You think Morey can remake this team this year?

If we trade Paul we are punting on this year. Now Harden is 31, what players are we getting in FA. What a collection of role players is gonna get beat Anthony Davis, Lebron and possibly someone else? Or when the Cliipers/Nets start to get stars. We are not a marquee FA place.

#33 HP3, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Corrosion likes this.
  14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

People dont realize that he was misused LAST year as well.

Possibly on both ends with all the switching.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Very reasonable and refreshing take on people's current "analysis" of the Chris Paul situation.

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

We need to get a guy like Kevin Love. Since it would probably take Capella to get him, we should then pray that somehow DJ signs for the MLE

CP3/Rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Tucker/House
    Love/Tucker
    Dj/iHart

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's pretty simple.

The team was still elite when harden sat and Paul took over

It was trash when both sat

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Statistically he is just average …. average 3 point shooter - 35.8% from 3 and 41.9 overall , his lowest ever , average rebounder , average defender and last year his assist to turnover ratio was not what you expect at only (3.15) and that's what you are paying him for - to set up teammates efficiently.
    In the playoffs those numbers were terribad - 27% from 3 and a 1.6:1 assist to turnover ratio.

I think the most telling thing is that he wasn't able to beat big men when he got isolated on them. So many times those possessions resulted in jumpshots with the clock winding down.

I think he's simply miscast in this offense …. he has to have the ball to affect the game. Here's the bottom line tho …. You aren't taking the ball out of Harden's hands. He's the best in the game. So how do you get more out of Cp3 ?

HP3 likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yup

I think the question is not "how can we get rid of CP3?" .... because the answers there all suck , we can't ! (Not for anything that is better than having him)

The question needs to be "how can CP3 improve for us next year?"

So what ? He can't get separation anymore ? How about we runs some plays for him that don't require him to score in isolation from the top of the key ?

Now , this is a slippery slope ... because there is a point where you just done have enough athleticism to be a good player anymore . Has CP3 reached that point ?

His height is a massive disadvantage . When guys like KD , or James lose a step they can still use their size effectively .

Can we utilize his passing and shooting enough ? Did his playmaking rely on his ability to blow by his man and score at the rim ? These are valid questions

I think the bench may be the best pure fit for him and if he is playing too well then you can ramp up his mins in the playoffs .

Granted then you are paying a guy 40 mil to come off the bench . But I'd rather put him in the best position to suceed even if it sounds like a waste . You are paying him 40 anyways .

I think you are right . We need systemic change for CP3 to play close to the value of his contract

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Raven

Raven Member

Here's the best case for keeping Paul. No team wants his toxic contract.